Justin's Ferrari 360 twin turbo build | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Justin's Ferrari 360 twin turbo build

Discussion in '360/430' started by justinn, Jan 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racing fan

racing fan Rookie

Dec 23, 2008
    We just got a 360 spyder in for a Twin Turbo setup. The car looks amazing and makes me want to want a twin turbo spyder as well.

2. 'Da Wolf

'Da Wolf Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2009
    Sadly not California
    What level of knowledge would be needed by a garage to fit this if you posted it overseas?

3. racing fan

racing fan Rookie

Dec 23, 2008
    Basic aftermarket turbo kit knowledge would allow the average mechanic to bolt this kit on.

4. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Awesome build.

5. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Is there any complication with the F1 system since the stock clutch is likely rated for a lot less output and the ecu is calibrated as such also?

6. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The stock clutch should handle the base settings with an expedited wear expectation, but I would recommend you also do a clutch. I did my clutch from the beginning expecting higher power levels than what the base kit delivered.

Justin

7. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I want you to install my kit for me guys. I see it for sale on your website. What is the time required to do the kit? Also, would you be willing to send me the car running 8 psi? Is the 8psi kit on pump gas as well? Or are you sticking with just 6 psi? Im a little confused about the 6 psi it. I see you say you made 485 rwhp, but the dyno shows about 517.... ?

8. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I apologize, I guess I missed this...

Actually, Kean and I just developed the kit. You would have to contact BL directly for any specifics.

On the 6 psi hp numbers being off, I had dyno'd prior to putting the 430 wheels on(I had 20inch HRE's with 345 tires ;) ). I was also being VERY conservative at the time. The 515whp number is the correct number for the day I dyno'd with the production kit ignition timing values.

You really need to drive the Ferrari at 500whp(~600 bhp) before you consider more. 1st and 2nd are a handful, and 3rd is also if the tires are cold. I think at 700whp, it would not be nearly as fun although I would say that would need a built engine to accomplish. The way I sized the turbos, it can accomodate up to 1000whp without changing anything but the fuel system/pistons/rods/headgasket.

Justin

9. racing fan

racing fan Rookie

Dec 23, 2008
    With 515rwhp on tap at 6psi, there simply isn't a need for more boost. While the kit can certainly make more power, we have limited the power output to create a vehicle package designed for the best driver feel and function.

10. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    but for 30 grand, i would much prefer 8 psi and 560 wheel.

11. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I know supercharging is entirely different and often much less complicated, but the m6 kit was 16k, installed, and tuned. This is double. I know, its a ferrari, and blah blah blah, but it just seems VERY expensive for such a kit.

psych0hans likes this.
  12. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    believe me... I know... I built it... LOL. Is that the installed price?

It is not extremely complicated, but there are obviously 2 of everything, and the turbos alone are over 4k(ball bearing, billet, vband, etc). I also built headers for it, so keep that in mind as well. I am not sure how well they explain what is included, but it is an entire exhaust(headers, uppipes, crosspipe, exhaust tips, etc). There are quite a bit more parts than what you can see on the surface(the external heat exchanger and fan setup was 600.00 alone). 1k+ in fittings/lines.... you get the picture.

The M6 kit is not very complicated and works quite well so I've heard... I only wish our 360 engines were that size :)

How did you like your M6 after you SC'd it, btw?

Justin

13. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    the m6 after supercharging is a beast! it blast to 200+ mph now. ive beaten gallardos, vipers, r8s both v8 and v10, ferrari 360s and 430s. its a black to drive. if only it handled like the 360. Ill probably just pass on the turbo kit for this if I can get 40 or so more hp out of full exhaust, intake, and a tune, but idk.

30k, is just a lot of money. its half what I paid for this car. if the kit were say 20k, or even 25, then it would be more considerable of an option. I already have headers, so using new ones would be just wasteful of more money for me unless there were some way I could use my headers.

I personally would rather a set of journal bearing turbos, and they dont really have to be billet etc and all that. maybe they would be slightly laggier, but whatever. I wouldnt need coolant lines for the, and imo journal bearing is more reliable.

14. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #64 360trev, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Justinn,

Great work.

Not sure if you ever looked into it much but if you require detailed information on how to read/write the flash on your Bosch Motronics for very little costs [i.e. D-I-Y - e.g. I built my own bench flash cable] I can provide help.

Re-mapping the stock computers should be tidier and work much better with the factory Bosch Traction control system so worth considering.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    justin, i dont see how a pair of precision 5857 turbos alone are over 4k?

Im pricing them right now, and they can be had for 3200 plus shipping, in billet, with ball bearing, and v band everything... I would love to know if this kit can be built with my current Agency power headers in place?

I would prefer to supply my own set of precision turbos, due to what seems to be a large mark up

16. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    and even if custom headers were built... headers sell for 2-3k, turbos for 3200, 1000 in lines and fittings, plus I know you need charge pipes, and water to air intercoolers. and you mentioned 600 bucks or so for some other parts. Im sure it needs injectors and a fuel pump, so even if its 10-12k in parts.... and not even figuring in the cost of a replacement clutch, which can be had from vivid racing for 900 bucks and will hold more power than we can make on stock blocks... so 13k in parts say just for ****s in giggles, where the heck is the other 17k coming from? Labor? a tune? Thats a huge stupid tax IMO

If i could get the kit in and done for 25K, I think I would do it..

I think if underground racing were to build this setup, it would probably be similar in price, yet covered by their 2 year full warranty, make more power, and this is all they do... turbo crazy exotics.

17. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    I interested as well, so keep me apprised.....

18. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    His initial build shows him using the factory headers and making a up pipe flange to continue on to the turbo... So I know this kit can be built with my current headers in place. For the people who have already spent 2-3k on headers, that wouldnt want to buy this kit with their headers, this should remain an option.

So 30k for their kit, minus 2-3k for headers that we wouldnt need, plus if we supply our own turbos we can easily save a lot of money. I currently can get two journal bearing brand new precision 5857 V band turbos for 1500 shipped... and theyre still billet. So that saved 2500 more off theyre listed price.

So they should be able to easily accommodate my 25k price range.

19. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Keep in mind that I am not boost Logic :) I only engineered this kit with Kean on my own car, my own time. I don't control pricing or bargaining ;) It's what I do for fun... I suggest to give BL a ring to discuss all of that stuff. I thought they did give a warranty of some sort though.

I was quoting numbers right off the top of my head, but just add it up... base turbo(1k)+dbb with no water cooling(+600), 4 inch ported inlet(S cover I think), V band housing, then add both of the flanges needed for manufacture, shipping, ceramic coating on the hotsides, cast elbow and modification of the compressor cover. you are definitely around 4k in turbos :)

The problem with piecing things together is that the tuning can, and will change. Albeit not very much(in theory) with the headers.... turbos and injectors could cause an issue. This means that the tuning would be affected and wouldn't be a "bolt on" affair any longer.

If your headers have the same outlet point as the stock ones, you are golden. Not sure if they could cope with the added stresses of the turbo system however(stress cracking, slag and what not), but I suppose it's worth a try. I suggest giving them a call and see what they have to say about it.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Justin

20. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    additionally, if a part fails on the system that wasn't supplied, or causes a failure to another part of the system, where does liability fall at that point? I built it to be a "kit" as modification is needed to almost every part(except the headers). A bolt on proposition, if you will.

Justin

21. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    id rather no warranty at all. what can fail? intercooler piping? a turbo? I know how to take stuff apart, and put it back together. If a turbo blows, ill replace it. Im suprised companies offer warranties on aftermarket builds like this anyway.

Im just saying, this kit needs to be about 5 grand less.

22. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    Just call BL and negotiate... worth a try

23. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    im going to give them a ring tomorrow. someone from there was supposed to email me a bunch of info about the kit, but never did, so ill try again tomorrow.

I want to use my headers, and use journal bearing turbos instead of ball bearing.

my headers can bolt up to stock exhaust etc, so Idk why they would be any different. unless the heat is an issue, but ill check with the distributor.

24. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    screw it, im going to build my own turbo kit.

justin, would you mind telling me what kind of injectors you used, and where you got them from? Did you upgrade the factory fuel pump?

25. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #75 ferrari360driver, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    justin, what size compressor wheel and turbine wheels did you use on your turbos? also, what are hot side did you use? .82 or .64?