Justin's Ferrari 360 twin turbo build | FerrariChat

Justin's Ferrari 360 twin turbo build

Discussion in '360/430' started by justinn, Jan 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #1 justinn, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I figured since it has been about a year, I should post a write up on what Kean and I were able to do last year around this time.

Having come from a background of rather high hp lightweight vehicles I thought about upgrading my Porsche 996TT(800hp). The Ferrari was the next logical choice, so I sold the Porsche. Fast Forward a year and SW from Elite Motorsports called me about a black 360 F1 that he just got in. It would need a clutch soon, but other than that was great. I took it for a spin, and within an hour we were closing the deal. The first thing I noticed on the test drive was the lack of ooomph. After closing the deal, I drove the car for a week and under the knife it went. First the clutch, then the ecu, then the turbo setup. With a relatively lackluster 330whp(with Tubi exhaust) it definitely had some room for improvement, yet I didn't want to sacrifice the "feel" of the car. The acceleration, although lacking, felt good as far as the curve goes.

Since I didn't take pictures of the ENTIRE process, I will skip around a bit.

Mock Up of the Turbos FIrst
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #2 justinn, Jan 16, 2012
  3. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #3 justinn, Jan 16, 2012
  4. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #4 justinn, Jan 16, 2012
  5. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #5 justinn, Jan 16, 2012
  6. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #6 justinn, Jan 16, 2012
  7. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    What size are those tires? They look super wide!

8. big_luke

big_luke Karting

Aug 28, 2010
    how is Kean liking this project over the Gallardo he's been working on?

I've seen pictures of his G from facebook and it looks very intense

9. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    345/25/20 ;)

My car is on stock F430 wheels right now though

Justin

10. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    We learned alot on my Ferrari build and we are incorporating that into Kean's Lambo build. Kean is out for the next few days, so I get to take a break also.

Justin

11. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #11 justinn, Jan 16, 2012
  12. big_luke

big_luke Karting

Aug 28, 2010

may I ask what this project might cost? I'm thinking of buying a Ariel Atom or turbo my 99 360 and do a ton of upgrades at the end of this year.

being I'm in Austin, you and Kean would be the logical choice.

psych0hans likes this.
  13. big_luke

big_luke Karting

Aug 28, 2010
    man those turbos fit so well in that engine bay. I like the look of that than the TT Galardo.

14. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Low Boost Numbers were 485 wheel horsepower(6psi), 560 wheel horsepower(8psi) on the factory engine.

Stock wheel horsepower numbers were 331. A gain of 155 wheel hp on low boost, and 229 wheel hp on higher boost. I am confident that we can make more, but quite honestly even at that level, it's a tire scorcher. When I get some 345s back on it, maybe we will crank it up some more.

Justin

15. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I never really priced it out :) I will ask Kean when he gets back. When we originally designed the setup, we did it for ease of installation/removal in the event you need to replace your clutch, etc...

The majority of the weight is centered over the axles as to not disrupt the balance of the car itself.

Justin

16. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #16 justinn, Jan 16, 2012
  17. big_luke

big_luke Karting

Aug 28, 2010
    well the install looks great. The symmetry of the coolers/turbo look great compared to the Gallardo (obviously I would have a bias opinion though)

how much ECU tuning had to be done compared to the Gallardo? I'm sure Kean keeps all his numbers and secrets under cover.

18. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The Ferrari was a bit more difficult as we added to the complexity by using the factory fuel rails for primary fuel(using 1000cc injectors). If we repeated the process on the Ferrari, I would use an additional 8 injectors(total of 16) as opposed to the 8 that I am using. This allows the car to be controlled by the factory ecu until you go into boost, then the additional injectors take over the task. This is the way we have done the lambos making 1300whp just fine.

We are posting everything online as we complete each part of Kean's Gallardo... so no secrets ;) Since this is being done on a factory engine, expect 650-700whp on pump fuel for the Gallardo. 850-900whp on Race fuel.

Justin

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Just curious, would it be easier to supercharge vs fabricating the turbo system? Also, 600+ HP's seems like a lot of power for a 3000lb car, I would imagine that you would have to swap out the brakes and perhaps do some suspension work to keep this thing balanced.

My car spins in 2nd gear stock if I step on it, this thing will probably sping in 6th. :)

Definitely interested to know the cost.

20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Justinn

Thanks for sharing these pics.

Nice neat installation but where is the backbox? Is it a straight through system??? Must be loud as hell!!!!!

I have a lot of questions...

What sized turbo's are your running? And did you go for ceramic or steel impellers? Is your system running a piggyback ECU or did you custom re-map the stock Bosch Motoronic ME7.3's? (with upgraded fuel injector maps and larger cc injectors in the stock injector rail location)? Are you running lower compression ratio pistons or bone stock engine internals?

Have you managed to verify any before and after under bonnet temp's? I saw some horrific engine bay temps once on 'one off' twin turbo 360 in the UK when they dyno'd it?

Is it now complete? Are they selling a DIY bolt on kit for non us guys?

21. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    560 at the wheel ********. how safe do you think that is to run though long term?

i know this has already been touched upon but can you estimate what this type of setup would cost if a board member requested it?

22. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Nice work Justin. That's taking the bar many levels above the usual mod scene. Much respect goes out to the builders.

23. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    I loved!
    Thanks for sharing man!
    I found your picture on a google search and keep it as an inspiration!
    Good work!

24. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Hi Trev,

Thank you very much.

The exhaust system has individual resonators which are not visible from the pictures, but I will be designing a system which will help to cancel out the resonance in the near future. We were running out of time for a car meet that we were trying to make, so I had to go for ease initially.

The turbo's are precision 5857 Ball Bearing Billet aluminum compressors with Vband inlets/outlets.

The ecu I have on my car is actually a standalone that is piggybacked into the factory DME's. The standalone controls the ignition and fueling wholeheartedly, but the factory DME's still control Idle, AC, Throttles, etc. This was not as easy as the Lambo's to integrate.

The 7.3H4 ecu's remain completely factory at this point, but I will be reprogramming them in the future to change the Accelerator position vs TB position. Additionally, I will be testing to have the factory DME's control the entire sytem although I reckon I will have to drop the injector size from 1000cc to 750ish cc. Since it was running well on the standalone, I haven't really put it at the top of my priority list. I promise that I will get around to it though.... eventually :)

The internals are bone stock. I have put about 2000 miles on it while boosting, and due to a triggering error on my part initially(and rushing), I had to replace the headgaskets(with stock) with about 30 miles on the system. Ferrari uses different sized head studs for the front and rear of the engine(smaller) and I replaced them all with the larger factory studs. It's almost like they wanted them to fail :)

The under bonnet(hood) temps are hardly higher than factory depending on where you measure. The factory 360 design is horrific if you are sitting in traffic. Boosted or not, the slow moving or non moving heat is about the same. When boosting on a dyno, there is no airflow though the engine bay, so nothing to evacuate the temp. This would definitely skew the measurements over a factory car. On the street is a different story. By placing the turbos at the rear, it tends to isolate the heat like the factory does. I would definitely recommend a Challenge grill though. There is a reason that Ferrari put it on the challenge cars(they needed airflow through the engine bay). So although the heat at the rear of the car is more than factory, if you are moving it is a negligable difference. If you are on a stationary dyno, you would definitely see a much higher temp.

Technically, it is a "kit", but as of now the engine management is on the end user. A good "mapper" with one of the off the shelf tuning suites could handle it no problem. I just didn't have a way to program through the OBD port at the time, so I added the standalone. I also would have added an ecu regardless as I needed to gather alot of information from the car to revise/improve the design of the turbo system.

Justin

25. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #25 justinn, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    For any type of production kit, I would say 500 wheel hp would be super reliable. With 285 tires on the 430 wheels, it's crazy at 500whp, so I haven't even turned it up past 6 psi in the last few months. Plus, it's cooler here now hampering traction as well.

I have a little over 2000 miles on my car since completing the kit. Numerous top end runs, a ton of 1st-6th runs including some pretty cool ones while racing a Intake/Exhaust Gallardo. I had to race him at low boost since we were going from 30mph. It was his advantage with the traction, but I walked him pretty good.

As far as price, I really don't know. I will find out though. I typically do only ecu remapping and stand alone engine management tuning, not pricing :)

Justin