Just Up on Ebay | FerrariChat

Just Up on Ebay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by ed_and_tonny, Jan 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Anyone know what that canister to the left of the self-leveling suspension valve is all about?? Never seen that before nor is it in the parts manual or Eurospares.
    That oil pressure is a bit high, low flow maybe?

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Any guesses as what this car 'should' sell for?

Just curious...

Mike in Kuwait

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Why did it cost $8,000 to rebuild the GM 400 Tranny?

4. 3wings

3wings Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was thinking that myself. You could buy a perfectly good used one for much less than that, the one from my 400i for example !

5. Stefano1

Stefano1 Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Stefano Bini
    This is the best convertible I have seen. I was looking at it too. All the others I have seen simply dont look that great.
    Probably $30K? if it is as good mechanically as they say... a regular 400i now is going 22-29, there is a 5 speed for 39, so I figure it is about in that range.
    but absolutely nothing seems to be selling on ebay or anywhere else. Most ads are just expiring.

6. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    ill tell you why nothing is selling, because the banks arent lending anything on older cars...if you dont have cash to buy any older car the deal cant be done..they are barely lending money on new ones!!! lol...plus people are scared to put the cash down these days,,

7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    What about collector car financing such as Woodside and others?

8. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    true, but even they are very picky!! if the car is not in there book..no go!!,,my friend wanted to purchase a renault r5 turbo1, very rare care and great deal but coulndt get financed because the car wasnt in there book...

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Wow...what does "being in their book" mean? Meaning the types of cars that they'll loan on? Or does that particular car SERIAL number have to be in their book?

10. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Beautiful car. Wish it was local.

11. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    they said to qualify for a collector car loan that the car, not serial number has to be in there book!..of course good credit also,..but who makes that decision on what cars are in there book? have no idea..but it stinks to me...because a renault r5 turbo 1 is a classic all the way

12. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    400's are in Hagerty's book........

13. Stefano1

Stefano1 Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Stefano Bini
    I was interested to see if this guy is on planet earth and emailed him to ask what he was hoping to get for the car: he wants $35,000.
    I think that is not realistic in todays' markets whether he likes it or not, as others have pointed out. He has 6 bids and the highest is 10k so far. I also am not sure if 400is that have been fooled around with this much fetch the same as a more.... original car.

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Can someone post the pictures and listing details in this thread so that we can preserve them for posterity (ebay listings are not permanent).

Thanks,

Art S.

15. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I have to ask a question here...

As some of you may know, I had a 348 for just over a year, recently sold it...

My question is, why in the world would this car go for AS LITTLE as $30K?

1. It's a Ferrari.
    2. It's a great looking car.
    3. It's a V12

What is it about the 400i that puts it in the price range of a good 308 or a mediocre 328?

Does it just not have the 'curb appeal' of the other cars? Are there known issues with the V12? Are all the parts 'unobtainium'?

There has to be a reason this car would sell so cheaply... but, frankly, I can't figure out what it would be... at least it isn't obvious to me.

I think, if this particular car has been well-maintained and the conversion from Euro to US specs was well done (and they appear to be) it should, inherently be worth more than $30K...

Could someone enlighten me? Frankly, until this ad popped up, I had never seen a picture of a 400i before, and had no idea what it was.

Mike in Kuwait

16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Mike,

Basic economics. Supply and demand, '70s and '80s stuff is not the flavor of the month. Also, 2+2 Ferraris are always second class citizens in the used Ferrari world. Finally, the maintenance costs are high (maybe not compared to modern Ferraris but definately compared to older ones).

Early TRs have only two of the strikes: they are from the '80s and are costly to maintain. Several higher milage TRs of similar vintage to 412s sold in the high $30s - not much more money.

308s are what many people think of when Ferrari is mentioned and sporty and not too bad on maintenance thus their value held up better.

Remember, when new my 330GT was more expensive than a 275GTB/4 that was made and sold at the same time - check on prices of 330GTs and 275GTBs.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. thanks for posting the pictures. Now we just have to bring over the text.

17. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

Here's the text:

"Here is your chance to buy a 12-cylinder Ferrari convertible. This is the best looking and performing 400i convertible in the world. The car is finished in black over tan leather, with black soft top in good condition. The engine is very quiet and strong and the transmission was recently rebuilt at a cost of $8000.00 and shifts very smoothly. This car is outstanding. The mileage is true and sworn to at 67,235. There are many upgrades and many of the parts have been restored.

Enjoy driving a car that nobody else has. The workmanship is excellent with no cowl-shake or excessive wind buffeting

This is the actual VIN - ZFFEB06B000048937"

18. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Thanks John....

Also, Thanks for the explaination Art... in spite of supply and demand... I like it, and think it's a cool car...really.

If I were in the States...and I could get it for $30K, it would be in my garage next week...seriously. I think the color scheme is nice, and would love to have a V12 Ferrari... the XJS V12 I have is great... I can only imagine how it would feel in a Ferrari...

Mike in Kuwait

19. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    This example is the nicest looking 400 convertible that I've seen. Not too keen on the chrome wheels. I'd agree that $30k would be a fair price if the engine/body are in good nick.

I bet it sounds great in a tunnel!

Aidan

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    $8000 for a 400 gm ato trans rebuild, please. so everone will understand current market the car i just received cost $5000 + freight. needs a paint job, thats all. think about this

21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White

Mike...
    Don't you also frequent the Land Rover forums? You had an early 80s Defender 90 and now still have a Rangie Classic right?