just thinking | FerrariChat

just thinking

Discussion in 'New England' started by racerx, Dec 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    I see the new tunnel in boston just opened. 4 or 5 lanes wide, only smoooth pavement in the state, great ECHO chamber. Be nice to hit it early on a weekend morning when traffic is light to non-existant with a group of shiny cars. Then grab a bite near Faneuil hall. Can we get a quorom?
    T

2. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Great idea, BUT... check out the news surrounding the opening of the tunnel. There will be heavy police presence to enforce the (just lowered) speed limit of 40 mph. They'd love the publicity from busting a phalanx of Ferraris....

vty,

--Dennis

3. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    It isn't everyday you can work the word "phalanx" into conversation! Although, blasting through there would be great fun! Wait for the heat to subside, then who know's.......

4. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    I didn't mean today with cameras and a mercury marquis chaperone but soon and at like 6 am or so (someone more experienced in the boston commute would know better when weekend traffic is thin) and of course with a scout reporting back that its clear. Thats the only smart way to do any fun ride. But it would be a blast, kinda of like some of those video games.
    T

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I think most of us have the Fcars away for the seaon at this point. Maybe in the spring, although I don;t know that there is anyplace near faniuel hall that I want to park my Ferrari!

Birdman

6. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    You could get the sound you want at redline in 1st gear, and still be legal speed-wise...

I had a great drive in mine yesterday, and heard that great redline music several times -- but out in the country away from trouble.

Kind Regards, Chris

7. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    FWIW I park mine under my office building just off PO square most days when its not snowing and the car isn't hibernating. I might yet get a few drives in over the next couple of months depending on the snow situation. Never had any trouble and there are a group of guys that will hand wash your car for 25 bucks (officially licensed by the building).

One can park under post-office square (albeit for 30 bucks) pretty safely.

8. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    I think the feeling of recreating the tunnel under the loews hotel with a herd of exotics would be tough to reproduce in the country. Chris your 1st gear must be in pain.
    T

9. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Racerx, the tunnel from the south has been open for a while. Have cruised through at about 6:00AM on a Sunday morning, on the way home from the Cape, in the 348. Top down, Tubi sound, doesn’t get much better!

10. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    On that note I've done a buck twenty thru the ted williams with the windows open and its staggeringly loud with the tubi :)

NB this was v late @ night on the straight part when I could see ...

Looking forward to the CS for a repeat attempt.

11. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Now thats the spirit! Hey spider I think I might pay to see 10 or so of us blast thru there with the rpms high. Also there is an effect on the senses that a tunnel gives that increases the sensation of speed. Dan, I don't go to boston much anymore and did not know what was open. Form up on that beautiful bridge and let it rip when no traffic. Whenever we can get our project gotham to happen we could stop at f1 boston (never been there) instead of downtown.
    Camera shot inside the cote d'azur tunnel from the monaco GP is one of my favorites, especially when a pass is happening. Imagine what that sounds like.
    T

12. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Yes, I have been through the Ted Williams in a modded 996tt with an Evo exhaust and a couple M5s with aftermarket exhausts and the thrill is wonderful. Unfortunately, I beelive the new tunnels have cameras everywhere and if they are still considered a construction zone, it would be a huge fine.

I have been in the cote d'azur tunnel. It is loud with just bus traffic, I cannot imagine the F1 cars screaming their way by:0!

13. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    That pic above reminds me of the Monaco tunnel and with the exhaust I just had installed in the 1st week of Dec it will sound like Monaco if I go through there ! That thing makes a Tubi sound almost stock.

Kenny K.

14. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    When I autocross (SCCA Solo2) my S2000 I am frequently all over the rev limiter (9K RPM) in second gear.

Upshifting to third loses a little time, and I would only have to downshift back to second in a few feet. It's usually quicker through the course to just leave it in second and use the rev limiter for its intended purpose. Bear in mind that most courses are set to keep the cars under 65 MPH for insurance purposes (and the S2000 goes that fast wound out in second).

Accordingly, the 7.7K RPM redline in my QV seems pretty reasonable -- whichever gear I'm in...

BTW, my QV sounds even better at redline to my ear than the angry hornet sound of my S2000. Both of these cars were clearly made to spin high RPMs.

Kind Regards, Chris

15. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Kenny there's a good reason for that - it is a photo of the monaco tunnel. The tunnel in boston is 4 and 5 lanes wide, which means 2 or 3 rows of us 4 wide. any more football on the beach?

TCM- i was thinking about that (cameras and such) but dan and you have proven that the new tw tunnel is passable. Cameras might be good for stop signs and red lights but not speed.

Chris - if we see a cop we can all drop it into 1st gear and disable him like siren (joan collins) on batman.

T