Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 56 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    A friend lost $290K on risky GME $500 calls that expired yesterday...anyone participating in that madness or trading on the whims of a tweet, Godspeed.

You won’t read about the losers on Reddit.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  2. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1377 freshmeat, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    I recently got a Model 3, my first ever electric car and Tesla. I was also fortunate enough to get picked for the Full Self-Driving Beta...it’s very impressive and having tested 2 iterations of it, it’s made even more leaps forward. It’s a life-changing feature and one of the few things I get excited about for the future esp during these crazy times. I would liken the car literally to an iPhone on wheels and we all know how the iPhone story went.

Many have tried to replicate it, yet it still remains the predominant smartphone by market share over a decade on? Same arguments you and other folks brought up here, yet here we are.

I’m not part of the Tesla cult, but I recognize uniqueness when I see it...from battery chemistry to vertical integration to infrastructure, no other ev company is even close to leading the way and so it’s difficult for me to rationalize parking my money anywhere else for the green energy / EV play.

My cost basis is $198 right now, I have close to 2,000 shares, a few leaps, cashed in a bunch of calls along the way and still holding...

I wish good fortune & an exciting future to all!

Bas and mchas like this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Balanced argument. Refreshing compared with many who are infatuated with Tesla! The whole self driving thing scares me, but I do agree that for utterly mundane driving (lets say stuck in traffic jam/town heavy traffic) I would use it myself and watch netflix to pass the time.

If you get in early enough I agree you'd be a fool to sell, I'd set a couple of stops here and there. But buying into it at the current price as a long term investment is a crazy prospect to me. That said the markets since 2020 and especially the last few weeks are something I've never experienced before. Sticking with fundamental investing, putting money in a company with a p/e of 1700 just doesn't seem wise...It's like betting on double zero for me! I also wouldn't short it, even though at it's PE it seems ripe for a short (so it did to me in 2018, lol).

Not for me unless day trading it. Trading with hindsight is easy....I should've bought and held after my short:D. I completely underestimated the people who love anything attached to Elon and will hold no matter what. When I read on the Tesla forums/twitter that they'll hold on even if it reaches zero, I believe it.

All that said I'm not surprised at all to see it double in value in the near future.

4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1379 freshmeat, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Your story is also one I’ve heard for many many stocks and isn’t unique to TSLA...heard the same thing when I first bought NFLX at $75...heard the same thing when I bought SQ at $68...same story for AAPL before the multiple stock split events at $100....ppl were laughing at me when I bought AMZN at $680...yet here we are...

im no stock guru...but what my personal experience has taught me, is moat and time in market is more critical than timing the market.

anunakki and SVCalifornia like this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm not saying either of us is right or wrong. It seems traditional investing has somewhat departed and ''social investing'' (if you will) is starting to take over. It seems fueled by companies people like rather than the actual financials.

with SQ/AAPL/NFLX/AMZN you weren't wrong, all companies had a number of things going for them so it made sense. Especially AAPL with good dividends and very strong financials. They're not inventing the wheel any more but they have a super strong client base.

Will it all come crashing down? I'm sure it will, and many people will get hurt. When? Who knows. Amateur investors using Robinhood will get a hard dose of reality very soon I would say. The moment they start closing their GME positions and want to take their winnings out of their accounts, they'll realize that there's not so much money left in Robinhoods coffers and they can't actually get their payday...these people haven't a clue how leveraged trading works. They're not ''redistributing from the rich''. Their payout comes from Robinhood....right until robinhood runs out of money.

freshmeat likes this.
  6. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Robinhood is toast...even if they’re just the broker...

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Exactly, I live in Menlo Park, that's precisely the reason why solar is the answer. I just showed you how the average family would pay back their solar investment in 5 years, and then get free energy for the next 25 by going all-electric. Also not have to worry about being on the grid.

You just argued for my point.

One couldn't even care about the environment and do it purely on saving money aspect.

Like those Geico commercials.

This all reminds me of when I was telling folks the internet will be huge (when I was using my 2400 baud modem), Or that MP3s would replace CDs, or that Spotify would replace MP3s, or that nobody would be buying a DVD in a few years. I get change is hard for folks, even with the change is superior.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I was skeptical of Tesla, but when they sold their millionth car, I had to admit, I was wrong.

It's okay to change your mind. Once I saw how electrical was going to be cheaper than ICE, that was the "light bulb moment.' It doesn't matter if it's an Apple Car, Tesla, GM, Toyota - the change is here. 100+ years of ICE technology ain't getting any cheaper, gas volatile at best.

Electric engines are just in the first inning, and solar panels have been going down in price the same way computers have been until they are fully commoditized dirt cheap, like the laptops you can buy for $150 nowadays to surf the web.

Boomhauer, freshmeat and anunakki like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I don't think Ferrari needs to worry. Even with all in one speaker, you still an audiophile community. Google Music has every song ever invented at your figure tips (since they combine Google Music and all of YouTube clips) - we still have Vinyl. Apple watch is good, but Patek Phillipe will be here for the next 200 years...

It will even be more about the 'retro' experience. In 30 years, every 'sports' car will be able get 0-60 in less than 2 seconds and 1/4 in less than 9.

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U exactly prove my point Paul. Why buy a newer model?
    Pretty soon the sound will be irrelevant, tech is behind and not Ferraris purpose... Classic cars yes but new ones...Ferrari is going to
    Have to come up with something amazing which they are capable of doing of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It will be than flying cars!

12. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    anunakki likes this.
  13. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1388 freshmeat, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    That's just the media churning old news over and over again. FYI this has been highlighted at least a dozen times over since 2017...as a CEO and VC, might I suggest looking forward vs backward for something a little more current/relevant to better inform whatever decision you're currently mulling over in regards to TSLA? I'm also curious to hear what outcome or advice you're trying to pass onto us mere non-CEOs?

And oh, in case you missed an earlier question: "Which companies have you founded?"

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Why do u guys always have to be a measuring stick contest?
    Guy says he helped found companies. Clearly u don’t seem to believe it. Let it go.
    U enjoy ur Tesla stock and brag about it , enjoy;)

anunakki likes this.
  15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1390 freshmeat, Feb 1, 2021
    Hey, no one bragged about anything from my side of the pond nor were any sticks thrown from my side either, but I am definitely being very salty...just curious to discuss the merit to what’s been brought up and also what the intent of the comments has been. Is the CEO and founder thinking about buying? Shorting? What does he know that we non-CEOs should know?

Coz so far as I can tell it’s been a whole lotta nada and these posts of his are not gonna age well...

16. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    #1391 ChipG, Feb 1, 2021
    I put him on my ignore list, not sure why he thinks I have to answer to him, narcissism isn't my thing :)

I only mentioned it because he said I have no clue about technology, what a ignorant thing to say :)

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Well maybe but IMO u just have different opinions so no point in discussing further;)

18. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1393 freshmeat, Feb 1, 2021
    Yep, perhaps that it. But had to give him a chance to share his play since this is a TSLA stock thread...

19. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Agreed! Hate the steering wheel.

20. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Thank you for posting quotes from 10 years ago in this day and age.

21. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    paulchua and tbakowsky like this.
  22. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    EV owners charge at night when rates are cheap....

23. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Well said Paul!

paulchua likes this.
  24. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Please invest some time into researching a topic before you embarrass yourself publicly behind your fake screen name. As stated MANY times here before, EV's charge at night when there is excess electricity.

25. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Good luck with that strategy. Is your money where your mouth is??????