Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 44 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    DGPF and Jaguar36 like this.
  2. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    true but not far off from being mass produced.

JERRYZ likes this.
  3. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Seeing is believing. Rabbits don't jump out of hats.

4. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    DGPF and JERRYZ like this.
  5. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Tesla is the one who has a history of making claims, overhype and not delivering, not GM

6. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I'm really confused.

Best selling midsize luxury car, outselling all the Germans. And all Mary has is a poorly selling Bolt ? What am I missing ?

DGPF and JERRYZ like this.
  7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1082 freshmeat, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    GM seems to have the longer history of making incredibly big false claims...in 2014 one of the claims I remember reading about was that they would have at least 15 full EV models by 2020, we're now in 2020 and what do they have to show for it since then?

Oh, looks like they're still deciding where to build this battery plant which will be making these "Ultium" batteries? But car deliveries are promised by 2021?

DGPF, JERRYZ and m5shiv like this.
  8. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    What are you talking about? Tesla has already unveiled a prototype car that goes 600 miles of range on a single charge. It also goes 0 to 60 in under two seconds. Please show me where any other existing auto maker has a prototype of a car that can perform anything close to that. And that prototype is over a year old. No other auto maker has released a prototype of a mass market car that can match anywhere near the model 3’s specifications.

I am an RIA (Registered Investment Advisor). I do not have to get compliance approval to make investment claims publicly. Long gone are my days at Wells Fargo when I had to get compliance approval for that. I am now a free man with a big smile on my face. Thank you very much.

DGPF and Dom like this.
  9. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Wait a minute?????? The Taycan has to shift gears?????? BWAAAHAAHAAHAAHAA!!!!! Wow, how has European technology become so behind the times? The Tesla's have electric motors that only need 1 gear. My god how are you Tesla deniers even looking at yourselves in the mirror?

DGPF likes this.
  10. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Sorry, somehow my ipad posted my response to your post by mistake. My response was intended for the yahoo that posted a link to the story about GM's new EV claims from last Wednesday about how they will one day in the future have a 400 mile range battery. Yet no current examples exist. Way to go Mary Barra.....extending your future pension by hanging on to your job by a thread.

11. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    You really should understand a story before you post a ridiculous Internet claim. GM is proposing to have a car that would have 400 miles of range at some questionable date in the future. Meanwhile Tesla has demonstrated a very real prototype that can go 600 miles two years ago and is scheduled for production this year. While GM has no production date for its 400 mile electric car.

DGPF and m5shiv like this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Please educate yourself.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28903274/porsche-taycan-transmission/

IloveGT and Nospinzone like this.
  13. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    At the very beginning of the Tesla Roadster, it had a two speed transmission. (Original development shop was close to where I lived). It was ditched for the reliability of a single gear reduction and they never went back. I believe it didn't have the benefit of two clutches like mentioned in the article of the Taycan. That's probably the best way to handle the massive torque of electric motors. Waiting for my model Y which will be garaged with my 550. I've had a 12 cylinder Ferrari in my garage and wrenched on them since the late 1970's and I love them but..............

DGPF and m5shiv like this.
  14. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    More moving parts, more complexity, more weight, more space, more cost and more driver input danger = Porsche fail. It’s almost like Porsche is cheating in order to attain the same performance of a Tesla. But all of the cost of what I stated above should be able to be accomplished with one gear.

DGPF likes this.
  15. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    It's great that Porsche is shipping an EV. C'mon guys ! There's room for everyone !

Jaguar36 and Gh21631 like this.
  16. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1091 freshmeat, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    +1 The EV world / path to sustainable energy can only get better w more competition. It’s just unfortunate the competition is still playing massive catch-up and it’ll be awhile.

Just saw a Rivian prototype on Highway 280 yesterday...looked pretty slick, if the paper stats match up w real life, I can see it being a popular choice and true, direct competition to Tesla.

JERRYZ and Gh21631 like this.
  17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    You have no idea what you are talking about. Do yourself a favor and please leave the engineering to the experts.

18. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    As an engineer, I will say that a single speed is very smooth, and matches the NVH of an EV. However, for performance, a multi speed is the only solution. I expect the roadster to be a 3 speed to hit the claimed top speed.

I feel that the current Taycan is a lost opportunity to remove the differential and do bidirectional torque control. Since Porsche is a hardware company, this makes sense. But the future is software control, not mechanical.

DGPF and Dom like this.
  19. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Let me give this a try

Taycan Pros: Porsche looks, Porsche traditional mechanical car delivering the Porsche experience with a different "engine"

Model 3 Pros: A new kind of car experience, driven by software with the best battery tech and charging infrastructure.

DGPF, Dom, dodici and 2 others like this.
  20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I would also add fit and finish of the Porsche. The materials in general are much nicer. You feel like you are in a luxury vehicle which you should for 200k.

21. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I left that off because Model 3 Performance fully loaded is 66K

DGPF and BOKE like this.
  22. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    No automotive engineer ever believed that more weight, less space and more moving parts are a good thing. You have lost all credibility by standing behind that stance. The only exception would be if it delivered better performance. But we all know the Porsche does not outperform the Tesla. Fail Porsche.

For those who are stating that more EV’s are a good thing, I agree. I am just defending the attacks I have received about how the Taycan is a better car than the Model S. Taycan is twice the price, has 60% of the range, and the same performance as a Model S. With zero ability for long-distance travel. Inferior car.

And who is comparing the Taycan to a Model three? Two completely different car categories. The Taycan’s competition is the Model S.

DGPF and dodici like this.
  23. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #1098 m5shiv, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    I'm the one that introduced the Model 3 into this discussion. The reason I did, is because of Porsche's talking points regarding repetitive performance versus a 2012 Model S. The 2170 format cells in the Model 3 is the current state of the art versus the older 1865 format cells which did derate after repetitive use. While the Raven Model S would seem to be the "competition", the next gen battery tech is all in the Model 3 until we find out more about Plaid. My gut tells me that Plaid will officially lap the Ring very soon with a huge lead, perhaps 20+ seconds over the Taycan.

I also don't know why it's such a pissing contest, so I can absolutely understand and support jerryz's defensive position.

Why can't we enjoy both brands without the attacks ? We should all be celebrating the choices.

Finally, let's talk about the elephant in the room. Namely the Supercharger network versus EA, CP, EvGo which the VW Group cars must use.

24. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I couldn’t be more excited about battery day next month. Tesla is about to blow the roof off of this entire discussion.

25. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    The Porsche draws a ring around your range on the map. In the Tesla, I can type 5th Avenue NYC when I'm in San Francisco and it will show me the exact route via Supercharger.

JERRYZ likes this.