Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 43 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    At least the turbo s one is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Other than the app/tech it craps on the Tesla in every other measurable way. So if you consider that a flop... I am one of the 1st to have a Turbo S, I gather that Porsche will improve things but as of today the tech is not prime time. Like Tesla they can do remote updates so we will see how it goes.

3. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Except for the fact that the cars are in completely different classes. You might as well be saying the 911 craps on the S class. I was looking at it to replace my Tesla as a DD, but the back seats are tiny and the trunk is small. I also much prefer the interior on the Tesla. The Porsche's was overly busy and having two small screens is a much worse solution than one big one.

DGPF likes this.
  4. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I don't like the way the Taycan clunks in and out of first gear and I don't like the understeer or the human machine interface (HMI).

DGPF likes this.
  5. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Congrats on your car. It's possible to enjoy both cars (Tesla and Porsche) without having to make it into a crapping contest.

DGPF and Jaguar36 like this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I guess it depends on what's most important to you. For me the backseats work and I can easily fit 2 sets of clubs in the trunk + you have a good size trunk. The interior if the Tesla is just short of a golf cart in comparison BUT I think the 1 screen might be a better idea than the multiple screens. I'm 2 days into this so the verdict is still out.

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    True and each has their pros and cons.

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I
    The shift from first to second is barely noticeable. I'm not sure what you mean on the HMI, for its weight it handles incredibly well. You would never guess it weighs 5k lbs. Braking is pretty darn good as well. The 4 wheel steering does a very good job as well as the torque vectoring. This is where Porsche crushed it.

technom3 likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think all cars appeal to different groups:
    -the new Mercedes is heads and shoulders more luxurious and has way more tech. I was lucky to see the brand new 2021 s class recently in the flesh and it’s amazing and more comfy.
    -Tesla’s are roomy and great performance for the price point
    -the Porsche looks great to me inside out and is definitely the fastest ev currently with best handles.

One can love them all I guess;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DGPF likes this.
  10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    By the HMI, I mean the way the menus and settings are accessed for the main functions of the car. The torque vectoring on the rear axle only is a standard Porsche mechanical e-diff. It is not a low latency solution and cannot provide negative torque. This is a lost opportunity.

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Menus and settings are too busy, they could definitely be done better. I could go through an extensive list of things they should improve.

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It is pricey, but Porsche will sell every one they can make.

tbakowsky likes this.
  13. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I agree. The torque of an EV is just too compelling to resist.

tbakowsky likes this.
  14. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I see Tesla's software as quantifiably being far ahead than any of its competitors. It's the only mobility platform I'm aware of that is truly connected to user, big data and ai. The platform is constantly evolving and the AI is only getting smarter, faster and better with each passing hour. Mercedes in comparison is a dinosaur, a very tethered "fixed quantity".

"Self-driving" or autonomous capabilities imho is only scratching the surface.

Looking beyond that I see a platform that, as one example, can predict the peaks and lulls of energy consumption in correlation to traffic, climate, your calendar and then tailor your energy consumption by day/week/month etc all within the definition of your own habits. Throw home automation/connectivity and the dots continue to connect; imagine a connected hub able to autonomously sequester an ev transport (perhaps doesn't even have to be your EV, could be a flying drone) to deliver groceries based on what's running low. All this is ONLY possible by a connected platform and the potential I see reading in-between the lines, not from just Tesla but from many other tech trends in the bay area.

Apple started out as a computer company, but it's more than that today. Google started out as a search engine, but it's more than that today. Amazon started out as an online bookstore, obviously more than that today. Tesla has started out as an EV company, but at this point it's looking more like it'll be more than that; like the other companies mentioned, the EV seems to just be a piece of a larger picture. Blackberry died coz it never tried innovating beyond it's first piece, all these other mentioned companies have evolved and continue to thrive beyond their first piece.

I also see Google also being a large disruptor in the mobility industry, with the data, the ai, the recognition engine they have, hooking that up to autonomous vehicles would be otherworldly...imagine a car knowing your favorites or being able to spin up suggestions, activities, food etc on the fly from just being aware of your constantly changing surroundings. It becomes a platform that can seamlessly enable you to make better, faster real-time life decisions, not just driving decisions.

If you look at things with that lens, a Mercedes "autopilot" seems limited, almost instantly obsolete/outdated.

I don't own a Tesla because I live in the city, but can't wait to hook up the house w their solaroof and powerwall. For me I'm starting the dot from the home front, can't wait to see Tesla's and other big tech offerings to evolve to something like what I mentioned earlier. I'm sure there are those who are apprehensive to embrace tech, but whether you like it or not, that's where the future is headed; it's not just a Tesla thing.

m5shiv likes this.
  15. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Tesla will have 1M connected cars by the end of this year and 4M+ in a few short years. They already have one of the richest personal driving and usage databases upon which to build the future that the customer wants - it's only going to get bigger and better as freshmeat says.

In contrast, the others all sell at wholesale to dealers and have zero relationship to their customers and are just focused on shipping the next greatest item.

On top of that, the overall system architecture of these vehicles is in the hands of the suppliers, who are making big bank by charging the OEM's (who have no electronics or software expertise, nor are they building it) and the semiconductor companies love having lots and lots of extra useless chips in the car when you could do everything in 2 or 3 units total.

JERRYZ, DGPF and freshmeat like this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I believe they will end up as a technology provider to the others. Screw manufacturing, better to just make a residual on licensing their tech.

17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    yep, I see them as an energy supplier and tech provider, unless someone acquires them...then all bets are off!

Gh21631 likes this.
  18. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Elon wants to win with Tesla so he can pay for Mars.

DGPF and sf_hombre like this.
  19. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Mars expeditionary and colonization efforts will definitely require a stable, efficient and sustainable energy source and the obvious and various surface transport. Yet another set of dots to be connected, albeit super-distant ones ;)

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I took my car out tonight with the wife - her choice over the F12. It is smooth and effortless. You have to be careful because you go from 65 to 85 in a blink and it feels the same. The driver assist works OK, not nearly the same as the Tesla's autonomous feature. Big difference is really in styling, people freak when you pull up in this thing. Also passing is just ridiculous, you are around people before you've finished your thought. Someone said these cars are for city driving but they couldn't be more wrong, these things are for eating pavement - ideally pavement with bends. Now if only the My Porsche app did something other than look at me. :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Bill Gates has one. Maybe there's hope.

22. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Just swapped my AMG CL65 for a Model 3 with Ohlins kit, Eibach swaybars, Camber links.

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Shiv, are you crazy? Why would you do such a thing?

m5shiv likes this.
  24. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #1074 m5shiv, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    I honestly believe that variety is the spice of life and electric torque is a very addictive drug !
    Since we keep developing GTE continually, it's not really a commuter, hahaha.
    We have a Turbo S on order as well. However, the software (track modes, battery and thermal management, infotainment and full self driving) and charging experience in the Tesla is what I would like to study in further detail, particularly under hard driving conditions.
    As of today, I have a supercharger V3 (250 kW) less than 2 miles from my house, and another one 1.4 miles from my office. Meanwhile Electrify America stations are still offline near me. Oh, and I ordered a Tri Motor Cybertruck as well.

PS I gave the AMG to a friend so it's still in the family
    PPS We only keep Ferraris. All other brands (except Drako :)) are disposable !!
    PPPS I am in the process of acquiring a 550 Maranello, because...6 speed gated
    PPPPS Did you watch our Balboni video on YouTube ?

Gh21631 likes this.
  25. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA