Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 38 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #926 m5shiv, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    I'm a fan of all new technologies that can improve the driving experience. I reject robots that claim to be able to drive. I don't want to be a passenger in an iPad on wheels.

I don't own a Tesla, but I am impressed by their battery technology and the fact that they have managed to sell over 500,000 cars.

I welcome all newcomers to the table and look forward to sampling their wares.

As for carbon footprint, I'm currently more concerned about the large numbers of ships plying the oceans burning marine oil.

2. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    So are you familiar with what supports our dollars value?

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    EVs are here, and they are here to stay.

They will eventually be always superior (without subsidies) in the two most important aspects for most folks: cost & performance.

Over the long run, because they will be cheaper and provide better speed and handling then ICE (without subsidies.) It will be a no brainer for most folks that just want to get to point A to B. Throw in that autonomous driving is the direction everybody is heading, sorry - the writing is on the wall.

Of course here in a Ferrari forum, you'll see much gnashing of teeth. Electric cars have a sound that is anemic, the feel appliance-like, and Teslas being heavily subsidized by the government further throws fuel here with Fchat being heavily biased conservative cohort.

I have no doubt though this is where the future is headed for 'everyday' cars. What I don't understand though is why can't we all 'get along?' I have both in my family, it's not a zero-sum game. Tesla's success or lack thereof doesn't have any bearing on Ferrari now or into the future. ICE will be available to me until I"m 6 feet under, so no loss to me. If anything, it's exciting to see hybrid technology being used in F1 and La Ferrari, and the new BB to break speed record after speed record.

Don't tell me an FXX doesn't sound sweet either, the best sounding car I heard barring Schumacher's 2004 F1 last weekend.

Just my $0.02 - always happy to give a refund.

4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Then why aren't you supporting other manufacturers getting into the same space as Tesla. Competition will only make things EVEN better!

Yes Panasonic battery tech has proven to be quite good... also interesting that Maxwell technologies was a needed purchase since tesla is so far ahead on batteries... ohh wait thats because pansonic is far ahead on batteries and both Tesla and Pana are considering other options as obligations have not been met and tesla is under obligation to use Chinese made cells in china. They can not use panasonic batteries in china. This also occurred at the same time as Pana announcing a partnership with Toyota regarding batteries.

Yes... Tesla has managed to sell 500k cars over about 12 years when they have had virtually 100% market share and large government tax incentives. quite the feat

F2003-GA likes this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Paul always the voice of wisdom;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anunakki and paulchua like this.
  6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Id like to go on the record that EVs are here to stay. They are not going anywhere.

I do disagree that they will be cheaper. I think they will eventually cost roughly the same. I don't think the market price to travel a mile will change much... why leave it on the table... if the market will sustain the current cost per mile... I think that the price will find its even... maybe a little savings... but nothing large.

Autonomous driving is quite a ways away in my opinion

7. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #932 m5shiv, May 22, 2019
    I love fast race cars. As did Enzo.

8. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #933 m5shiv, May 22, 2019
    Hearing those cars at Laguna Seca was fantastic. I recorded the MS car on my phone and keep playing it to myself ! The FXX cars were amazing. Saw the Battista at the Los Gatos event last night and it was cool, though not a running car which was disappointing.

paulchua likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think it all depends on the price of gas. I know here in the People's Republic of California (specifically Bay Area) it costs me about $4.50 per gallon. Right now Tesla is struggling with reliability issues that any new upstart car maker is sure to experience. But after looking at the Tesla drive train, I marvel at not only the simplicity, but the possibilities if Toyota ever starts applying their know how. I have no doubt electrics will also be much more reliable (and less to upkeep) then our controlled explosions contraptions that my grand kids will scratch their heads at the same way I do when looking at steam powered cars. "Papi, you mean people used to die regularly in cars?"

Add in the Solar revolution happening, it will make it that much more compelling in states with great weather. I think in 5 years, I will 'lose' money if I don't go to solar.

Rejoice my friends, it makes our ICE cars that much more special. Sure, future generations might view us all as anarchistic dinosaurs burning dead dinosaurs, but by then none of us will be around, so moot point.

...smoke em while you got em'

As for investing on Tesla? I have no idea, I have not looked or am privy to any of the financials.

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I absolutely support them. I'm just disappointed that they aren't range competitive despite all the marketing hyperbole and dissing on Tesla. They have taken their time to come to market and yet are not class leading. This will make EV adoption harder. I like to discuss facts and not hype.

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I know right? The LaF FXX cars were spine-tingling. For anybody doubting what can be achieved with hybrids, just witness a V12 KERS in it's all its glory, and I challenge you to keep the same opinion, it made the F40/F50/599 FXX cars look like they were standing still on the long straight!!!

Natkingcolebasket69 and m5shiv like this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Shiv, was that your 288 GTO (Kiki's) you came in? I met you at the VIP gate (I think you were with your son) - I told the Amalgram rep there was a 288 outside (cuz they had a display model) - when he came out you were gone and back in the coral.

Beautiful car and funny enough did you see that story of the one stole in Germany the day after?

hahahaha

13. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Yes indeed. The German theft story was really odd.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Gorgeous car and I am glad to have met you in person. Hope to see you and your son soon at another event.

m5shiv and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hahahaha, tell that to my kids!

;)

16. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes that is the main reason my son got a Prius which has a sticker for special lane use. Big time saving in his commute using the special lane for EVs and 2 plus passengers per vehicle. Additionally he can "plug in" at work for free. So he only gets gas for commuting a few times per year since he can drive full electric to/from work every day. But his weekend car is a 997 Turbo and he is not really sold on the Tesla.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    My future son in law just got rid of his BMW M3 and replaced it with a new Tesla 3 series. Randy, for the same reason as your son, driving in awful California traffic to and from work and he can plug in at work. However he is a techno nerd and he loves the Tesla’s features and there is no weekend car.

Me, I hate the interior, especially the big screen that you can get suntans by. For all of us car guys I suspect Porsche is going to do Tesla one better and that may be our future home.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

As someone who owns a X and a s63 I would say that the main thing that Tesla’s are great with is, like i said, saving time and I like the gizmos...
    But the more I look at it the more I think the tech is hyped and not as good as the one on my merc:

1-the merc will detect impact and literally brace u for it. It’s impressive.
    2-the autopilot, Tesla has the advantage: not going to lie there but not by that much, the new mercs can change lanes by themselves too.
    3- the convenience feature are also hands down for the merc: fridge, cooled and heating cup holder ;massaging seats; lane assist; night view assist etc
    4-the screen; teslas makes a big fuzz about it but the new mercs are almost caught up; they have a better parking camera system; and the navigation is awesome showing u a vision of the actual street u need to make a turn on on the screen. It’s amazing
    5-the interior is better on the merc
    6-performance: the merc might be slower off the line but at higher speed it’s way more fun

Again I have both but the more I think about it the more I realize that aside a big screen and autopilot Tesla is not as ahead as they would want to make us thing. Anyone saw the new s class interior picture? That screen is even bigger than the x or s... so really for me; the Tesla is all about the environment and traffic time but with a crappy customer service I can’t wait to see what the big brands do. I truly appreciate Tesla create some disturbances in the market though so it allows for progress to be made. It’s what it is all about: progress;)

Gh21631 and anunakki like this.
  19. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Not just Porsche; Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes are all just around the corner. I will take an Audi e-tron over a Tesla any day. Tesla won't be able to compete as there will be parity in pricing.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/la-motor-show-2018/audis-new-590bhp-e-tron-gt-concept

20. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I think Porsche will be the one for true car guys (with Audi being the poor man’s Porsche). Remembering the last century and British electronics I have a hard time wrapping my head around anything electric with the name Jaguar on it. I am done with Mercedes. I say that being a Mercedes owner for over 20 years and owning multiple AMGs. I had an S coupe for just over a year and just dumped it. Huge disappointment, they totally dumbed down the suspension. My 65 Vette with its truck suspension handled better. Styling wise ALL Mercedes now look identical (can anyone look at a picture of a C, E or S coupe and tell the difference). Now with the new S class they are imitating Tesla with the ugly huge interior screen (which was the sole reason I immediately removed myself from a GT when it first came out). Sorry to digress but forget Mercedes.

So Porsche wins.

21. Natkingcolebasket69

I loved the s coupe;) different tastes I guess.Chris Harris said it’s the best car he has owned and the best kept secret but hey not everyone likes the same thing.
    I agree on styling but interiors are different... I’m not a Porsche guy but I appreciate them. For now I’m very loyal to Mercedes.

22. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I dont want to belabor the point on Mercedes but I dont see how they will appeal to car guys go forward in the electric car sweepstakes unless they reverse virtually everything they have done over the last few years. They are simply going in the wrong direction for somebody who I would define as a car guy.

If you are a car guy, a car appeals to you because of (1) the sound of the engine, (2) great handling, (3) unique body style, and (4) great interior.

Forget (1) in all cases. It’s electric (though you could put the Vroom motor on it that I had on my bicycle as a kid).

Forget (2) in Mercedes case, they have eliminated the ABC from all S’s (it was only left in the 12 cylinder and that is now dead). Now a Mercedes handles like a 70s Buick. They no longer pride themselves in unique cars with great handling.

Clearly forget (3) in Mercedes case unless you want to own a car that looks like every other Mercedes product in the world.

So in Mercedes case, all they have going for them at the moment is (4). I will admit that I really like the current S class interior and that is the primary reason for buying the S coupe that I just dumped. BUT that interior is now dead and they are replacing it with a Tesla interior with the huge screen.

Since Mercedes has made the corporate decision to sell one size fits all homogenized milk to everyone I dont see how they win with car guys. On the other hand, if you look at the Taycan, Porsche seems to get the idea of the car guy in the electric world.

23. Natkingcolebasket69

2-have u tried a an amg G.T.? The Buick statement is a bit strong...
    3-though not as much I think every 911 ever made looks the same. And macan/cayenne? Same thing to me. It’s just branding.
    5- safety and Porsche has nothing on Mercedes.

Car guy that definition is broad and varies : I like all kind of cars :)

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said Ron

25. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Googled Mercedes' electric car plans and found this in an article about Mercedes plans to build a Mercedes battery factory in Poland:

"The auto industry currently has a range of different battery recipes competing for use in battery cathodes. One is NCA, or lithium nickel cobalt aluminum oxide, produced by Panasonic and used by Tesla." Doesn't sound much as though Tesla has controlling patents on automobile batteries.