Just "missed" king Hussein's 400i | FerrariChat

Just "missed" king Hussein's 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by stekkefun4, Apr 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Earlier today I was at a classic car shop in Genk, Belgium, to inspect a 400i that was up for sale since 16 hours...

The car was indeed king Hussein's 400i, in great condition, but had never seen any maintenance since 2001. Paperwork was OK, except for the first page of the owner's manual, usually showing buyer's name, importer, chassis and engine numbers... it was ripped out! Alle numbers seemed to be the correct ones.

Anyhow, I agreed on the asking price, so it should have been sold to me. The shop's boss was not in, but I would get a call confirming the deal later that day. Things didn't go as planned: the guy claimed it already got sold to a buyer by phone!!! That's before I was in the shop. Was a complete waste of time: trip of 120 miles and 4 hours lost!

But that got me thinking and here's something we see more often than before: dealers who have cars in concession from other dealers to try out price levels. When they see that it draws great attention, they tell everybody that it's sold... Some months later you see them re-appear for much higher prices.

Anyone with the same experiences?

2. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    #2 stekkefun4, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Pyrford Ranger

Pyrford Ranger Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi looks good what was the asking price so we can keep track to see if your right

4. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Looks fantastic

5. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    That looks beautiful.

6. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
  7. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I'd not cry over it.
    The alleged celebrity provenance does little for it's value, certainly not enough to mitigate 14 years of neglect.
    I suspect the offerer is not the owner or agent for same. Since when do car dealers refuse a full asking price offer?

8. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    no service since 2001 isn't much of a problem as long as the car has only been driven now and then (covering not more than 10.000 km since the last service)

I also think this car is going to be back on the market in due time - only at a slightly higher price. :)

9. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    These cars look so much better without the US mandated and bulky side marker lights. I'll rid mine of these eyesores when/if I repaint.

10. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    saw the interview with King Hussein of Jordan on Fareed Zakaria GPS yesterday;really an incredible man; also know that he bought a couple of cars at Vantage in FL , RR and Bentley,about 2 years ago but had to have them stored "as I have a couple of problems in my country right now and it would not look good for me to get these cars in right now " ;this from the owner at Vantage at the time :)

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Andreas,

I hope you meant your entire post as a joke, not just the second line - it is a little difficult to tell in a forum.

Regards,

Art S.

12. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'll add a few more smilies next time :) :) :)

13. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    Pretty car.

14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I agree. These cars look great in all of the shades of blue.

15. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Agreed. Same with the 456 and 330.

16. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    This car re-appeared on the site of the seller whom told me 5 months ago it was sold. He's either messing up with the truth, or strange things have happened. He now tries to sell it at 79,000 euro...
    Ferrari 400i, Auto's, Genk | Kapaza.be

17. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #17 rustytractor, Sep 26, 2015
    A few years back, before I bought my 400 I had the chance to buy a 400i that had been owned by Mohamed Al Fayed for 20 years. Same story, 1400 miles covered in that time but apparently had been maintained and the 1400 miles was covered when being serviced and having its annual mot test.

It was a nice car being sold by a really nice guy with a Daytona and a few other Ferraris - he's on F-Chat but not normally in our section.

The car was nice but flawed and the lack of use bothered me so I passed. I think it was a 1979 car
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    That's a beauty

19. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I had a similar experience when trying to buy a Jag some years ago. It wasn't anything special, I had test driven it and made an offer. I was called a few hours later and told the offer was accepted , I rearranged my schedule and went hauling out there to complete the deal before they closed for the day only to be left waiting around for thirty minutes and then told they had accepted a deposit from someone else on the car. The salesman then asked me to leave a deposit in case the other deal fell through. Needless to say I didn't nor did I return his calls the next day when the other deal "fell through" and the car was available again.

20. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    So elegant in blue... love these cars.

21. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Hi Russell

I bought the Al Fayed car earlier this year. The chap that you mentioned only had it a month or two, and bought it (as far as I can tall) purely to sell on. The chap that bought it then is a very wealthy collector living in the Middle East - but he kept the 400 in his London based collection of approximately 300 cars. So when I bought it another 4 years of no use had passed.

Unsurprisingly it needs a fair amount of work, which Emblem Sports Cars in Poole are doing for me. So far it's had a major service (all fluids, filters, plugs, etc), a full new s/s exhaust and various other minor repairs/adjustments such as new distributor, coil, etc. It's now going back to them for a suspension overhaul a new wiper motor. The interior/dashboard lights need fixing also.

When everything is working properly I'll use it for a bit while planning the respray.

22. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Hi Ewan, I'm glad that the car eventually ended up with someone who's going to fully recommission and (hopefully) use it as Enzo intended.

When I test drove it I could tell it was a good car, just one which had suffered through lack of use. I'm pretty sure that we'd all agree that these fantastic cars are far happier being used regularly and respond well to a good thrashing to blow the cobwebs out every so often (or in my case every time I drive them!).

I'm in Essex and get to Dorset semi regularly so if you want to PM me your contact details it would be good to meet up.

Good luck with the car 👍🏻

23. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #24 samsaprunoff, Dec 24, 2015
    Good day All,

Just adding documentation...

Cheers,

Sam

1983 Ferrari 400i
    Color: Blue exterior ... Tan unknown
    Mileage: ?
    VIN: ?
    Chassis: 46653

24. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    "LM Classic Cars".
    Like Steffefun4 started this thread car whas sold....for 59000 Euro.
    But strange, reappears some weeks later in the same garage for 79000 Euro.

Guido