Just joined iracing | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Just joined iracing

Discussion in 'Technology' started by speedy_sam, Jan 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I *gotta* get me one of these!..... How much was that dev kit again?! :eek: ;)

Can you do it in "replay"?

Would be way cool for analyzing overtakes & crashes etc......

New 'puter etc is on the Fed Ex van; He's generally here by lunch! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

2. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Amazing!

3. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I've been noodling around on the subject - Talk about "the next big thing!".....

End user release is set for Q1 next year BTW.

$350 on their site.

Checked on Amazon; $749 :eek:

Dunno about Amazon - I dropped that idea - But seems they *really* don't want "end users" buying it. Checkbox prior to being "allowed" to order;

However, didn't someone note that iRacing just "recognizes" it & off you go?

Cheers,
    Ian

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #104 Fast_ian, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No, think about it, if you spin your car in-game, the whole world shows up as you spin around no different to moving your head, it's all in the 3d engine so the real horsepower increase is to render 2 views of the world (one for each eye) instead of just one - and that's still mostly just a pixel filling exercise. Luckily, iRacing isn't too hungry resource wise so it shouldn't be too bad (it works fine with the dev units).

iRacing detects the OR on launch and asks you if you want to use it, so for that game it's pretty much plug and play with the dev kit. For other stuff it requires a lot of work if you can get it working at all, which is why it's still a dev unit.

You can do it in the replays but you have to pick your camera carefully :). For example, the TV views can make you sick to your stomach because the camera is switching and zooming in/out which wreaks havoc with your brain as you try to look around and focus on stuff. The bumper cam is pretty cool, as is the hood cam and the suspension cams. The blimp cam looks like you're looking down at a really detailed rc car track or slot car track.

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Gotcha, all makes sense, thanks for the comments. The bolded part is what I wanted to hear! :eek:...... Particularly as I still can't find the "needed" monitor.

Again, makes sense. Are you developing with it?

This thing just keeps getting cooler & cooler! [Although, all those cameras are features of iRacing, right? - You can review "at your leisure" after the event, or test, whatever?]

Sorry for all the Q's! Should probably continue their tutorials!

Just finished unpacking everything;

- The Butt-kicker looks *awesome*! Very solid looking piece of kit. :)

- The PC? Suffice to say it's no Mac! Hopefully it'll all power up as expected and life will be good. [I had the exact same issue as the only other Amazon reviewer BTW - The hard drive had "bounced" from it's (plastic!) mount in shipping. Hopefully, no big deal.]

Also noticed there's *way* more cooling on the GPU than the i5!

Oh yeah, as I'm in full Q mode; The PC comes with an offer of a free year of Mcafee - Should I install it? Plan is to use this thing only for iRacing, but we all know how that goes! ;)

Thanks again for the comments,
    Cheers,
    Ian

7. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Ian-I'm sensing a bit of bug bite here....be careful this simracing gets addictive.

I own almost all the tracks and cars. Slowly built up my collection to find which ones I like the most.

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yup!..... And I haven't even turned the thing on yet!.....

I guess that's a lot of where they're making their money, right? As long as it's "reliable" I have no problem there. Laser scanning tracks can't come cheap.....

Cheers,
    Ian

9. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not developing, but I've gotten it to work with some interesting stuff. I bought it mostly for racing games and have gotten it fully working in Assetto Corsa, iRacing and some others with partial support. Enough to know I'm getting the full version when it comes out.

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Won't the dev kit "upgrade" when the time comes? Or do you think it's a whole new can o' worms?

Cheers,
    Ian

11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It's not a whole new can of worms, but decently upgraded. I'd be worried that future firmware/drivers won't support the older dev kits once the retail version is released. The retail version is close enough to release I wouldn't get a DK2 unless you're fine with spending the money twice for 3-4 extra months of use.

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Gotcha, thanks!

I can wait; The way it's going right now, I'll still be reading FAQ's & watching tutorials for months! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Turns out that quote is pretty apropos! :eek:

For reasons unknown, I do "enjoy" reading a contract(*).

Holey-moley! The iRacing "Sporting Code" is almost as long as Bernie's! [32 versus 57 pages :eek: ;) ]

Got thru that - and a lot of it is about penalties & appealing thereof, but there's two "infractions" that are unappealable; Being disqualified & coaching!!.....

Then I figured I go have a browse of the forum..... I'll be reading *forever*!

Had to share,
    Cheers,
    Ian
    (*) - Particularly when it addresses "blocking" with a nice vid showing "good" & "bad" blocking as examples. Very nicely done!

14. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Don't worry yourself about the rules. Nobody follows them, you'll follow them and end up hurt. Reporting doesn't work

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    *OH!*

:eek: :D

Are you "active" on their forum? I haven't got back there yet - I'm installing the Fanatec - but figured there'd be much "discussion" about protests & appeals etc?

Anyone got any comments about Windows 8 -versus- Windows 10 for this thing? [It came with 8.1, but is "offering" 10 if I want it.....]

Cheers,
    Ian
    PS - Butt Kicker installed & working! :)

16. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I'm active enough. Lot of complaints about rookies and dive bombers, first turn warriors

17. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yeah, you need to get to c level for it to clean up. I haven't raced much recently, need to get back into it and try to move up to b.

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #118 Fast_ian, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gotcha. U said U started from the pitlane early on IIRC....

Here's where I'm at;

:)

Cheers,
    Ian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    How is that working? Are you able to pick up your braking points that far away from the monitor?

One of my problems that I'm trying to cure with an immersive setup is I have difficulty perceiving distance in SIM's.

20. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    This is how Ferrari does it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzWngzijDLA

I think the simulation software they use is Assetto Corsa

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Not well. :(

The "saga" continues!

Got all the "updates" from Micro$oft, Nvidia, & everyone else. (About a days "labor"!)

Connected the sim rig with high hopes that my life would now be good.

It's pretty much the same as the aborted Mac install! *So* frustrated right now I'm close to giving up on the whole mess! :(

I tried PS2 cable between wheel & pedals then USB in to the PC on multiple ports - both front & rear and from both the wheel & pedals. No joy.

Tried 2 x USB. No joy.

As with the Mac, I can get the pedals to calibrate. But no matter what I try now the wheel/shifter refuses to join the party.... At least I once "saw" the wheel calibrating on the Mac - It (or the shifter) has *never* been recognized on the PC to date. :(

I'm kind of out of ideas right now - Tried multiple USB ports - on the "front" & directly into the motherboard on the rear. Many reboots just because it's a PC.

It simply does not see the wheel/shifter.

At least the Mac occasionally saw it!

:(

Ian

22. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I drove that a month ago when I was there. I spoke with the man running it at length, it is Assetto Corsa. That's what made me decide to finally get my own setup.

23. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Honestly, it sounds like something is wrong with the wheel.

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

It's sure looking that way. :(

However, I'm 100% sure it (& the 'box) calibrated earlier (on the Mac).

As noted, "frustrated" would be an understatement!

Cheers,
    Ian

25. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Try it without the shifter. Just try pedals hooked up to the wheel. If that doesn't work try shifter and wheel without pedals. Process of elimination.

If all else fail, let me know and ill swap out your csr wheel with mine and send it back to fanatec ;)

Try downloading all the drivers including the pedals.