Just joined iracing | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Just joined iracing

Discussion in 'Technology' started by speedy_sam, Jan 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Darnit! Sorry!.... How'd I miss that? :( ;)

:( I was thinking you gotta get the drinks holder & arm rest at the least! ;)

In general, most PC's have little "blue" & "green" plugs for the keyboard & mouse - A simple "mini DIN style" cable - I've got many of them!

Seems Fanatec are using the same cables for their interconnect between the pedal box and wheel. But, both also feature a USB port. What I'm not sure of, and maybe it makes no difference, is which (or both?) USB port(s) to use - The PS2 (or "mouse/keyboard" if you prefer) cable seems to "connect" the two prior to feeding the 'puter.

Cheers,
    Ian

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Connect the pedals to the wheel and then the wheel to the computer via usb, you should not need to connect the pedals separately (and may be what is causing your problems).

3. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    For me, I plugged the pedal and shifter into the Fanatec and then the single USB into the computer. My computer (alienware alpha) doesn't have any of those ports, just USB and HDMI. It worked without a hitch. Is that what you did?

Now I have the pedals and wheel plugged in separate.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ah brilliant, thanks!

5. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Anyone here have an Oculus?

I've been doing a lot of research and I am very excited to see what the New Oculus and Playstation VR will have to offer soon. So much so that I think I'm going to hold off until they come out.

Certainly would be easier then triple screens or a super FOV at a fraction of the cost.

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    See posts 46, 49 & 52! ;)

Bob appears to love his early version, but also notes to hold off until the production version appears. The second version of the development kit is available at Amazon, but I seem to have enough on my plate as it is, and it's not "cheap".....

But yeah, I can see it (no pun intended ;)) being a more "immersive" experience than even 3 monitors.

FWIW, I joined iRacing & *almost* have it running on the Mac. If I could get it going I think I too will practice there until the Oculus appears - Guessing about the same price as 3 monitors but no need for a dedicated room for the whole mess!

How's your "cockpit" coming? As I asked somewhere above, "wanna do two?"......

Cheers,
    Ian

7. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    The Oculus is something I'd have to experience first hand before I bought one. As Bob mentioned, I'm waiting to see the new version due early 2016. However, it seems the Playstation VR might give Oculus a run for its' money.

I haven't started my cockpit just yet. I have a few shows coming up so I'll have to wait for a break in the action. I'd gladly make another to pay for mine! ;) Any requests?

8. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Lets see a prototype

9. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    #84 HotShoe, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, I did a 1/2 scale tricked out 500 F2 already for art. Safe to say a simpler full size tub would be a walk in the park. Aluminum is my strength but I can't decide between an old Lauda car or a newer Schumacher carbon tub.

I'm working on a 1/2 F2004 now and it's a blast to do something modern as well. Decisions, decisions, decisions! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    That is absolutely *gorgeous*! Beautiful work!

As you, I'm kind of in shock at the price some of these "seats" are going for. Throw in an "F1 recliner" and it's just ludicrous IMO! [And it's not like Bernie is behind them either! ;) ]

I'm thinking something along the lines of just the "internal" tub in aluminum - The key (to me anyway) is the "laid back" seating position. Could then use good old 2 part expanding foam in the traditional way for the seat itself - We don't need no stinkin' Sparco's! ;)

Would even be possible to do another foam seat for the teeny girlfriend - Would use a lot more foam, but that's cheap!

Cheers,
    Ian

11. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Thanks!

I think the Playseat is a good buy. I just don't like their seat selection. If you could order it without the seat and then mount your own it would be better. Heck, there are always Challenge seats for sale here. That would be cool.

Another great affordable option is a Tillet kart seat. They come indifferent sizes and can easily be swapped out. They are perfect for an F1 position but not so much a touring/GT position.

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hmmm.... Not sure I'd prefer a Tillet over, say, a Challenge seat. I'll try & sketch something of what I have in mind.

Moving on; iRacing support did kind of respond to my question (pretty much a duplicate of my post above), but seems they don't understand the issue either. I spent way too much time plugging & moving cables without success. So, decided to bite the bullet & buy a dedicated "gaming PC". Unfortunately, it comes with Windows 8, but I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Amazon.com : CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme GXi4000A Desktop (Black/Blue) : Computers & Accessories

Seems I got the last one! It was noting "only one left in stock", but I've always been a little skeptical.

No matter, my gaming consultant (Bas) confirmed it'll do the job with 8GB. I'll probably pop an SSD in it soon, but for now will see how it does - Given my Mac is now over 5 years old I suspect it may seem really fast......

Should be here tomorrow (Prime again! ;)). Hopefully the next update will be positive!

Cheers,
    Ian

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention; decided I just had to have a butt-kicker as well! Should also be here tomorrow. :)

So, much wiring and plugging gonna be happening real soon!

Cheers,
    Ian

14. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete

Wow, that is incredible!

If I had my pick, I'd make a '67 312F1 (the earlier 36 valve with faired in mirrors). The last of the wingless, sponsorless cars.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #90 Fast_ian, Oct 7, 2015
    +1

More pix please! Maybe even start your own thread with pix in "collectibles"?

Here's a very rough sketch of what I kind of have in mind; Obviously the "left" side panel isn't shown, and I'm thinking four "boxes" would do the job; Pedalbox, under shins, under thighs and behind back. Think a "solid" beach lounger!

Could then add a head rest, roll hoop etc....... ;)

I'm tempted to give building it a try myself; Problem is I no longer have access to any tin benders. :( Still have my trusty rivet gun, but that's about all.

Cheers,
    Ian

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #91 Fast_ian, Oct 7, 2015
  17. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Thanks! That is also one of my favorite cars and would be awesome to do.

The only problem is the more I think about the Oculus the less sense it makes. IF you are wearing the VR set you won't see any of the sim enclosure since the headset provides all the virtual reality you'll need. I'm really salivating to se the Oculus and Morpheus when they come out Q1 2016.

If I do the super FOV setup like Remco Hitman then I'll definitely go nuts on my enclosure.

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Very true.

But, you still need some kind of seat, pedal & steering mounts.....

**** can the monster 3 monitor rigs though! [Assuming it "works" - which is looking likely I believe?]

Cheers,
    Ian

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :)

He says having *just* used "must be able to drive 3 monitors" in his purchase criteria! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

20. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Just showed my wife the scale. Pending price obviously, I'm in for a tub. Keep us posted on your design. I can also template the 3 wheels I have, 3 pedals sets and 2 shifters for you so you can make the holders universal.

21. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It's true, once in the oculus you see the full cockpit of the car you're in. If you get the steering wheel height and distance correct, the arms you see in the car feel like yours, it's a bit eerie the first time it happens as your brain gets a little worried when you take a hand off the wheel and it's still on the wheel in-game.

22. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It seems like it would be weird to drive with an Oculus device. In a real car and with a monitor-based simulator, the windows/monitors are always in a fixed position, so your frame of reference to the windows/monitors changes when you move or tilt your head . With Oculus it seems like the view would be straight on no matter what you did with your head.

I guess that would be better for driving, but it seems like it would be a lot less realistic and feel weird. I assume you get used to the weirdness so it becomes second nature, but it seems like it might not be great to practice in an environment that is so different from the real world. Is this a valid concern or am I misunderstanding how Oculus works?

23. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :eek: I can see that being really spooky! But, as with most things, I guess the good ol' mark one brain adjusts pretty quickly; I vaguely recall an experiment where folks wore "inversion goggles" that turned everything upside down. Don't recall how long it took, but the participants all adjusted PDQ.

I could be wrong - hopefully someone will be along to confirm, but doesn't the head set contain accelerometers that move "with you"; ie, you look up, the image moves up. Same when you swivel your head; the view moves with you (?)

Cheers,
    Ian

24. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes, the oculus tracks your head movement and the view adjusts accordingly. You can actually stick your head out the window in the OR if you want, or look behind you instead of using the mirrors. One of the cool things you can do is essentially get out of the car and look at it (even while driving - which can get kind of crazy), but you can essentially move around and the view will track properly to the limits of the tracking camera.

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Cool! So it's permanently modeling the full 360 degrees? That's gotta take some HP.....

I can see further $ disappearing on one of these as soon as they release the "final" version.....

Cheers,
    Ian