Just had a near death experience on a bike | FerrariChat

Just had a near death experience on a bike

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by ParhamK, May 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    Well I made this thread just to give some pointers to you guys out there with bikes and tell you what happenned today. I have had MANY fast cars..some of them would blow by a supersport bike with no means....I have years of experience of the road and the idiots on them. I recently bought me a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R. I rode it for a couple of times VERY easy because I knew that I dont have any experience on a bike. Anyway...I took it out of the garage today for a quick 5 minute spin around the block. The road was a twisty country road, I was in 6th gear....cruising at 50mph just enjoying the weather. I had been out for about 2 minutes when I approached a small left turn. I was not giving gas or anything at all....I just rode towards it slowly and I noticed some "roll sand" on the road. So I was riding cautiously and extremely aware of my surroundings. When I rode over the "roll sand" the entire bike just floated towards the right side and the bike flipped me over....sending me 30-40 meters forward. I was not wearing any safety equipment except a Bandit helmet and full street clothing.

My head bounced off the asphalt several times HARD and my body was slugged out to a farm yard on the right side. Amazlingly enough....I only got bruises and my left hip is hurting, but everything would be OK according to the doctor. My head landed 4 inches from a huge rock and I feel that this was a sign from god that I just shouldn´t be riding a motorcycle....it´s not for me.

Well the bike is a total wreck and I have aged tremendously from this experience. Ride CAIRFULLY, I cant say that enough.....I was VERY careful when this accident happened and it´s a miracle that im sitting here writing all of this to you guys. From now on, I keep driving the sports cars instead.

Friendly greetings

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Congratulations on being able to post this, and wearing that helmet.

3. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    Yes, Congrats on living.

When I was in the auto rebuilt trade, I would go to the salvage auctions, and everytime there would be 3 -4 bikes with paper tags on them (not even registered yet).

4. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    geez man, dodged a bullet, glad you made it!

5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    ParkhamK- glad you are ok. I would share with you my thoughts in Swedish, but I only remember one word- Bostongherkin!

6. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    glad your ok.. i too always hated bikes for that reason.. well take care stay safe..
    john

7. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    Thanks for the support guys.....but I have to say. After that, everything is so much more colorful and nice :)

8. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Glad to hear you are ok. I love bikes, but every once in a while something gets thrown at you that you simply can't do anything about. Thankfully you had a helmet on (I won't get into my usual scolding about not having leathers on, seems like you have a pretty level head)

9. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Should have been wearing leather. Real riders wear leather, and respect themselves and their bike.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    8 days, aye? Damn.

Parham - I appreciate you doing this research for me (watches dream of Bimota fade away...) and am glad to see you've managed to take this in the enormous stride one takes to be "born again," 'cause baby, I know you know life just got a lot more meaningful.

11. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.

Im not a real rider and I never was either. Respect has nothing to do with roll sand.

12. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003

Wow, what you describe is almost exactly what happened to me 2 years ago.

I had bought a '99 Yamaha R6, which was my very first bike. I approached a left hander a little too quickly, and went down on my left side. I bruised my left hip very badly, and had some scrapes and bruises elsewhere. I lay on the pavement in a state of shock. It took about 5 minutes for me to be able to sit up. Another 10 minutes and I was able to stand. The bike got scraped up pretty badly, but it was not totaled.

I had a helmet on, as well as a Johnny Rocket armor jacket, riding boots and gloves. Everywhere I had the protection on, I was okay. I did have a little scrape on my helmet, nothing more than that.

I got the bike repaired, and continued to ride it for the rest of the summer. I couldn't help but think about what had happened every time I got on the bike. The following summer, I sold it. I am now done with bikes. I figure I am too old, and have too many responsibilities to learn how to ride a bike properly. I will stick with cars.

I thank my lucky stars. I could have easily been dead. When I saw the doctor, he couldn't believe how well my protection worked. He actually urged me to contact the equipment manufacturers to tell them my story, and perhaps endorse their products!

To this day, I have an area on my left hip that has a tinge of numbness that will probably never go away. It serves as a reminder to myself.

I am happy you came out okay.............life's too short!

13. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    I just wish that I didn´t have to learn this lesson the hard way...my whole bodie is aching. Well anyway I need to get back to cars...2 wheels were apparently 2 wheels too less for me.

14. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    I also laid down a bike earlier this year. So that makes 3 of us. WOW!

I will also never ride again.

15. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    Nice write up!

As you can see, it´s amazing that I only got bruises because both of us did a similar crash, you were wearing full safety equipment and I was wearing none except a helmet.

16. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.

Ever since I got the bike (like 8 days or something), I have been seeing minor "signs" that I shouldn´t be riding. Everywhere that I watched, everywhere that I read....I´d see something that had to do with motorcycles, death, and crashes. I think this accident was some kind of "end of sentence" message to me. Or im just plain o´l paranoid.

17. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    Think on the bright side, you are smarter than me, I had no protective gear on at all. Unless a t-shirt made of 100% cotton counts.

18. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    Parkham,

I'm glad you are still with us to share the story. I am sorry your MC riding experience has come to an end. I feel that you have made a mature decision and know whats right for you.

Riding can be a ton of fun but one thing that will always ring true is that crashing sucks.

Again, I am glad that you are still with us.

19. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    "ROLL SAND" is just one of the bike enemies out there

and your accident experience was just a part of learning how to ride

some give up or quit and some learn harder

it's not how many times you fall, but how many times you're able to get up.

we all riders have fallen down due to ROLL SAND and then learned the lesson

FACT : bikes are not meant for everybody

20. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Here's what happened in my home town. A guy special ordered some hi-po motorcycle from the dealership. The dealer was able to locate one of the bikes at another dealership some distance away. The owner of the dealership hitches up his trailer to the company truck and makes the trip to pick up the motorcycle from the other dealership. He brings it back, notifies the buyer that his new motorcycle has arrived. They prep it for the new buyer. The happy new buyer arrives and rides away on his new bike. About an hour later, the dealership closes for the day and the dealership owner drives home in his truck. On the way home, he sees police cars and blue lights and ambulances up ahead. YES, the wreck was the new motorcycle buyer who couldn't wait to try out his new bike. He didn't make it more than a few hours until he totalled out the bike and put himself in the hospital.

Imagine how the dealership owner felt after having gone out of his way to pick up the bike from another dealership and carefully prep it for the new owner, only to see it totalled out and the owner go to the hospital. What a waste of machinery.

21. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    "THAT CRITICAL FIRST RIDE"

is always the most imortant and divides the true motorcyclist from the rest.

interesting how most guys associate the word motorcycle with accident or danger

22. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Glad to see you're safe-

I ride motorcycles, but only on the dirt :)

23. CRDNLPLT

CRDNLPLT Rookie

Oct 11, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I worked at a dealership for 5 years/summers...every summer there was at least one person that insisted on buying a sportbike as their first bike after getting their licesne from the local community college. With out fail they would dump it within the first block, sometimes not even leaving the parking lot. Most people aren't used to going 0-60 in less than 3.5 seconds (and that's for a 600) and when you twist the throttle a little more happens than on those beaters they use in the training bikes.

24. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    This is why I have nothing but respect for those who race bikes. It is just so much more terrifying than racing cars.

25. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Yeah you're right. But it has everything to do with wearing the right gear, and reducing injuries and terrible experiences.