Judging and protective film | FerrariChat

Judging and protective film

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 87testa, May 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I was wondering if protective film will cause Judges to take off marks when judging a car?

2. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Yes you will lose points. The best that you can achieve is gold. Judging is based on the vehicle being as it left the factory so if it wasn't wrapped at Maranello then you will lose points for each panel that is wrapped. Having said that I found at the last concourso I entered that an F40 that was wrapped entirely still gained Platinum. My only points loss was the wrap I had (my car is not an F40 by the way). It was good to see that the judging was consistent.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I do not know if clear wrap would yield a points removal and it certainly is something that can looked at both ways depending on the opinion of the judge. Officially I do not think there are any specific judging parameters regarding the use of clear wrap/protective film making it a judgment call.

My opinion is that it should not be a points deduction assuming the film is indeed clear and well installed. Clear film is a non destructive protective coating that can be removed at any time. It does not compromise the original finish and if anything it maintains the originality of the car. When well installed, protective film is very difficult to detect and preserves the essence of a concours where the car will appear exactly as original. Ferrari judging prides itself on allowing certain maintenance items to be overlooked when judging in the spirit of encouraging owners to drive and enjoy their cars. A well applied protective film absolutely fits that criteria and IMHO should not be basis for deduction.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    When you talk of judging at what event and were they using the current official standards of the IAC/PFA?

I have posed this question to the Chief Judge of the Ferrari Club of America, also a senior member of the IAC/PFA. The answer was no deduction as long as the application was well done.

Jakuzzi and Nuvolari like this.
  5. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Jeff is correct. Now if the application is done poorly or you have edges that are peeling back then these may be considered as point deductions based on aesthetics and appeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuvolari likes this.
  6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Though I don't have much interest in judged car shows or the result of such I have a different opinion on the wrap.

Have yet to see one that doesn't negatively effect the look and luster of the paint and even the best installs will have visible edges and seams -somewhere-.

IMO 2 identical cars parked next to each other (condition and otherwise), the car with no wrap will look nicer and more original.

7. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    The Chief Judge said they were applying international rules such that if the vehicle was judged at another venue the result would be the same. He said the vehicle must be as it left the factory. My film has been applied well. Were possible it has been wrapped around edges. I am not fussed about points loss, I prefer to drive and the film does the job of protecting against stone chips. I would rather replace the film than having my front bar and bonnet resprayed.

Jeff Kennedy and Clay512TR like this.
  8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Ask: Are they using IAC/PFA? Is yes, then have him check with the IACPFA board with this question as you have a ifferent answer on this that comes from a bard member.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I remember Gerald Rouse once complaining about judging brand new Ferraris. What was he supposed to do? If the car had a bra or anything else that didn't come from the factory, it lost points.