JPM indicates he may return to US | Page 2 | FerrariChat

JPM indicates he may return to US

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Remy Zero, Jun 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not really. Washed up F1 drivers go to Le Mans or DTM.

2. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Very well put. What is the deal with the JPM bashing he still probably in the top 5 of the F1 drivers. I think he is a bit arrogant but at least he makes F1 interesting, much more so than about the other 15 guys out there.

3. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Right, that worked out great for Michel Jourdain. (/sarcasm)

4. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Like it or not guys, JPM is still one of maybe 2 other drivers that MS would still say hell no to as a teammate. As far as being arrogant yeah and ? Of course there is no place for arrogance in F1. Like MS and some others never show any arrogance at all. I only see what he does in the car, I could care less about how he is out of it. His head does seem up his butt at the moment but i'm sure he'll come out of it.

5. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Yes, I would agree that F1 without JPM will not be the same; I will miss him. While I am not a fan of his recent performances, I would have to disagree with the use of the word arrogant to describe him. Jaded might be a better choice but certainly not arrogant. I'm a MS fan but feel he displays arrogance more than any other current F1 driver.

I remember being at the track in 2001, with a clear view of the Williams garage. It was nearly 5:30pm on Friday. Most garages were buzzing with activity as the mechanics prepared the cars for qualifying the following day. I was impressed that the only driver who was still at the track was JPM. There he was, in the Williams garage, in street clothes, watching over the shoulder of the mechanics and interacting with them. All the other drivers had long left the track. I'll never forget it.

6. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I believe that JPM is 1 of the top 4 drivers out there. It's a shame that so many people judge him by what he does outside of the car, rather than what he can do in it.

7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Jaded. Lazy. Whatever.

He was probably in the garage calling them all wankers.

8. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Well I will miss JPM if he leaves ... I analysed my thoughts to figure out why this is so ... ;)

25% of this is due to his daring overtaking moves (now about as frequent as Halley's Comet),
    25% due to his character - foibles and all
    50% (the real reason) I will miss seeing the drop dead gorgeous Connie Montoya - the prettiest girl in F1 :) :) :eek:

9. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    His overtaking moves are dangerous, and he will kill someone one day....

His character is agrevating and annoying. You want to punch him in the face at every opportunity. He belongs in a drug running cartel, not F1

His wife is the bomb. Id hit that arse from Monaco to Stuttgart...
    She is one damn fine women, and im sure she gets pushed around and beaten (montoya "you broke my head" video anyone???)

All the guys that are going to miss JPM, stop going against the grain. You know that you will celebrate when he leave. I know i will...

10. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I dont see why you guys are so down on JPM? He is a good driver - he shows moments of brilliance and an ability to drive a car that is a hunk of crap right to the limit. He isn't afraid to go door-to-door with anyone and he has PASSION - something most of the drivers on the grid sorely lack. Many of them (Sato, Ralf, most of the back half of the grid) get overzealous and can't help themselves plowing into another car. JPM does it sometimes too because he's aggressive, but he also will go side by side with Schumi or Ralf or even his own teammate just so he doesn't give up.

If every driver in F1 was that passionate it would be an amazing show every weekend.

As for JPM "killing someone" some day - puhleaze. These guys are racing drivers and its not like he's Ide or Sato or even other drivers who are STILL racing. Let's not forget some of the stunts MS pulled. Do we want grannies driving and making sure they never come within a foot of each other, or a guy who ain't afraid to take the fight to the other guy and get a bloody nose in the process.

Losing JPM would be a loss for F1. Most of you guys dont like him IMO because he actually didn't just like MS cruise on by and actually put up a fight. God forbid someone challenge the master - everyone ought to just pull off the track when they see him in their mirrors! :rolleyes:

11. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    No loss. All the way back to his CART days, he has trouble racing without making contact, great entertainment but believe me there is a better way to do it. As a driver and as a teammate he lacks consistency. Some days he is just lost, nowhere. Sure, he has his days where he is on the pace and as fast as anyone ever, but there simply aren't enough of those days. Your real drivers-- the Schumachers, Alonsos, Hakkinens, Raikonens-- they are fast week in and week out, regardless of the track. Top 4? Occasionally. The rest of the time he is Jarno, Jenson, Takumo. Just a good driver among great ones.

There comes a time in F1 when it becomes clear you are not WDC material. When time comes, unless you have something else to offer, you are history. DC is one of those guys who has something to offer, and FWIW, he is kept around for that. JPM? This is where that sparkling off-track personality will bite him in the ass as there is apparently no interest in his option for next year and even floundering McLaren are wrestling with his offer to drive for free.

12. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    After 2003 there was a seriously drop off in the results of JPM...

I still think he's in the upper half of the grid, but coming into a race I simply don't expect a great result - which I used to do.

13. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    JPM's overtaking moments border on the dangerous, stupid and idiotic. Most of the time, the driver being overtaken just lets him go, because there is obviously going to be contact, and its not worth the risk, of losing points over. Just let the madman drive right on by. You say he is passionate? How? Telling his OWN team that they are ****? Being rude and obnoxious every chance he gets. Thats not passion. Passionate is someone forever striving to do their best at F1. Always after imporvements, and someone that NEVER takes his position as one of the luckiest guys on earth for granted. If you call JPM passionate, you are mistaken IMO. He goes toe to toe with his teamates, and is not afraid to go up against the big guys, fair enough. But his attitude of all or nothing is what makes him a 2nd rate driver.

Ever seen dogem cars at the circus?

No, we want competitive racing. Racing that has a thought process to it. Not hack and slash road rage style F1. Stick that **** with another code of Motorsport.

I dont give a **** about MS really. So that is not an issue. I think MS is 2nd rate in many aspects. But JPM would not be a loss to the sport, and most of the fans hate him. And that is what F1 is here for at the end of the day, and if the fans dont like him. The team dosnt like him. And the other drivers dont like him, then he is gone imo...

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    No he was discussing modifications to the rear diffuser with them as well as watching them work on the front suspension.

15. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Yeah, ;) let's agree with you that he's a drug dealing wife beater....

16. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My tone was not a serious one.

But he is a turd none the less...

17. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Oh! For a minute there, I thought we were talking about babysitting and not motor racing.

18. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    at least the guy (Montoya) didn't cheat, got caught, lied about it, and almost nobody bought his story either.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I liked JPM for his open and frank opinion about NASCARs. Remember trading paint?

I believe he referred to them as POS. And he made that comment on a TV station that shows NASCAR 99% of the time.

The Emperor's clothes come to mind. :)

20. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Yes but he did fall off a motorcy...er, tennis racket :)

21. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Here we are having these constant discussions about JPM.............what other driver generates this much discussion?

Love him or hate him, people talk about him, and F1 needs as much publicity as possible. If he left F1, what would all of you Montoya-bashers do?????????? You'd be even more bored with F1 than you are right now! :)

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed in general.

The problem with JPM (and about 15 other drivers like him) is, that his time is over and aside from the occasional podium there isn't much else to be expected. When he leaves F1, there is a vacant seat for a new talent.

Of course this is not JPM's fault or problem, but there are too many guys in F1 who shouldn't be there anymore. In the old days of racing (read sixties) nature took care of that and forced a new field of drivers every few years. Now I don't want to see blood, but some new faces would help.

DC, Trulli, Ralf you reading this?

23. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I'd add JV to the list

There's others that need to go before JPM. Don't like the guy either but he's still one of the better drivers in the paddock, not at the level of MS, FA or KR but better than many others.

Personality wise JPM is an idiot who gets into silly discussions/situations all the time.... remember his clash with the camera man that hit him in the head.

He will not be a champion but I still want him around for the sporadic overtaking manouver or unfrequent great race. And yes... the wife. Actually a Colombian guy I know dated Connie in his younger years in Bogota. I'll ask for the details... :)

24. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    JPM was faster than Kimi on occasion last year and is still only 30 years old, what are you talking about his time is over? DC, Trulli, Ralf i agree with, there is very little chance of any of them winning a race, but you're off base about JPM. In a top car he'd do well.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You might be right. It just looks to me that ever since his championship bid in 2002 he is on the decline. Reminds me of JV. Good for an occasional podium, but the fire is gone. Just my feeling, maybe I'm wrong.