Joined the 400i fold | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Joined the 400i fold

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Newman, Aug 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    If you want some fun, straight through with just the back resonators - or delete them too if you enjoy a challenge! Beautiful sound but attracts attention I am told. I know the guy who did it and it brought a smile to his face just telling me about it. He ran his car for years that way.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I'll try the straight pipes with rear resonators first, I'm sure it'll make plenty of noise ��

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You'll be surprised. It will still be very quiet in the passenger compartment. Standing behind it will be another story.

4. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    If you are not saving the system. Take it to the local muffler shop and have them cut off the mufflers under the cockpit and have them weld in pipes. See if that fixes it. Couldnt cost a few hundred bucks in the city and about maybe an hour.

5. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    You will find a good deal of this conversation at http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/365-gt4-2-2-400-412/454852-mufflers.html
    I was looking at this too. I have one cat converter that has been gutted and patched, and I'd like to remove them both and put in an X pipe. Rest of the system is fine for now.
    Sharp car! My silver 412 is kind of a stand-out in my black car collection... Really glad to have this forum!

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    With that length of pipe I could see it being tamed somewhat by the time it reaches the rear bumper.

Saw that thread in my search yesterday but thank you! I would prefer something at the rear that looks correct then straight pipes from there to the headers. I would even prefer to have the auxiliary pipes connected to the intermediate pipes to prevent block off plates that are visible.

7. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Glad it's home and driving great! Congrats! Now we just need to see some more pics! :)

Cheers!

Ruben

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You bet!

I'm thinking I've driven this car more in 3 days than it has in years. Car sat for a solid 5 years with no fuel prior to me asking to hear it run. We added fuel and a battery, fresh oil and filters, oil in the cylinders and rolled it over for a few minutes. Primed the fuel distributors then fired it up.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #34 Newman, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ran errands in it today. What surprised me the most is people taking pictures of it where I had it parked while in picking up a few things at one of my stops. Even had two people on the street ask me what it was then telling me it was a cool car.

(In the process of removing walls in the garages)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #35 Newman, Aug 31, 2015
  11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #36 Newman, Aug 31, 2015
  12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #37 Newman, Aug 31, 2015
  13. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Very cool - looks great in black/black!

I've had my 412 for a couple of months now and reactions I've gotten usually fall into one of 2 camps: 1) either they recognize the car and are admiring it or 2) they don't have a clue as to what it is but they sense it's something special (which it certainly is, at least in my book!)... horsies and Ferrari logos certainly are clues.

Although the 412 gets attention, it's nowhere near the feeling of being in a parade that we usually get in our 308... I think the beautiful classic lines of the 365/400/412 make it an elegant incognito Ferrari!

I suspect you'll find something similar coming from the BB to the 400.

Enjoy it and drive it often!

Cheers!

Ruben

14. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Pic with the Mustang makes you realize just how large these cars AREN'T.

I'll be curious to see what direction you go with the exhaust - Mine was so loud inside the cabin (windows up) that I commented on it in my "Resurrection...." thread. I also wonder if there was direct pipe/muffler-to-body contact amplifying it through the floor.

15. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Good to see the low fuel warning light on.
    You just seem to drive round the corner from the fuel station and the light comes on - and it makes no difference what "old" Ferrari it is.
    The later ones seem to be OK.
    Oh yes, and welcome to the Boxer & 400 club.

16. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That is why it is advisable to shut off the engine while refueling so that the pump can get ahead of the fuel consumption! :D

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I ran out once. gauge did not work. once was enough

18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You actually trusted the gauge on a 400 series car? Oh you silly man. :D

19. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Gauge worked on the 365. They do now. Took two months to fix electrical issues. Now motor problems😩. At a new shop. I will have my repaired car back in two months.

20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    You need to have a dedicated mechanic that knows what they are doing. Kind of like a nanny for your cars.

21. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I do need a real mechanic and had a good one. Took him two months(not every day) to fix the 365 after a full restoration😩. Then he's really screwed up after two years of excellent work. After fixing my QP3 it burnt the next day when I tried to starting it. Same morning he burnt up my SD 1 Ferrari computer I just bought(first time he used it). No garage insurance. Not his fault. So I now have four different shops working on four cars. Holding my breath.

22. Bevo

Bevo Karting

Feb 2, 2005
    columbus ohio
    Full Name:
    jack babbitt
    heard he burnt his toast at breakfast that same day...hat trick

23. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #48 blkprlz, Sep 3, 2015
    I carried a little extra gas with me one time while checking to see if that light really worked :D

And how large they 'are' compared to the BB!

I initially thought they were for balancing purposes until a member (new ulm 400i) posted some pics of his mid-sections cut open, especially where the additional balancing pipes enter…they go nowhere :eek:
    (Note that each header goes through its own muffler, & the cross-pipe between the 1st 2 center-sections). Lee also weighed his center sections---60 lbs. per side!
    It appears the exhaust got figured out on the 412, no additional balancing pipes & only 2 center section mufflers like the 365's (include Daytona's in that mix).
    I think an X-pipe in place of the 3 center units makes the most sense if you don't want the extra silencing.

Important Note: Be sure to paint the whole exhaust assembly black (including the blank-off's) & they visually 'kind of' disappear :rolleyes:

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I've always thought the extra small pipes were for sound cancellation of some sort. Like a heimholtz chamber and from your pics it looks to be the case. Thanks for the internal shots! If I added the pipes it would be for cosmetic purposes only.