John Travoltas Home | Page 2 | FerrariChat

John Travoltas Home

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by allanlambo, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Thanks Mark

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I believe his interests in cars lie in old chevys, cadillacs and rolls.

3. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Wow! He sure has come a long way from Welcome Back Kotter!

4. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    That is a Gulfstream II which he upgraded to a II-SP back in the 90's. He also has a few others in addition to the GII and the 707.

He got into some trouble a few years back when he buzzed one of his other homes in the 707. Apparently the neighbors weren't too excited about that.

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Dan,
    The road (grey) is two lane and goes from the lower right to the upper left. The "taxiway" (black) goes from the planes to the lower left. The taxiway crosses the road, and the runway is somewhere to the lower left. Note the loooooong gate across the planes' taxiway dividing his property from the road.

Many fly-in communities have the pilot taxi across public roads if there home is on the other side from the runway. The road prorably leads to more houses that parellel the road and all cross to the runway.

But most fly-in communities dont have a runway to handle a 707.

6. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    There was a show on the Discovery Channel a few months back about "fly-in communities"... wondering if this is the same one?

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    You can find a flying 707 for less than the price of a F 40. Of course
    it may cost a little more to maintain and fly it. More power to him.
    That is awesome.

8. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Is this true?
    When you go down to the gas station, the 707 will cost a bit more to fill up though.

9. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    Here is a link to the airpark layout map on Jumbolair's website:
    http://www.jumbolair.com/images/RenderingLR2.jpg

In this case, the roads are interlaced with the taxiways (each one being exclusive) and that gray part is actually dedicated taxiway. The black part is Travolta's ramp and private taxiway to the airpark-deeded taxiway (gray with yellow centerline).

P.S. - Note the size of the runway on the left of the diagram compared to the size of the lots. Each of those lots are 2 to 3 acres. Jumbolair's runway is the largest "public access" (i.e. non-govt) runway in the country. Its 7550 feet long.

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Im sure that its the OTHER way around!

DL

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    That's what I was thinking...

--Dan

12. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Is that a gate at the end of the "driveway?"

I remember some Discovery or TLC story about private jets they mention Travolta and that he uses the 707 as a moving hotel/party room. I thought the problem with 707's was that they were extremely noisy?

13. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    I think we have a water pump for that somewhere at the back......I'll try and get a pic ! :)

14. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Good point!

Although, when I saw him on "Inside the Actors Studio", he gave Scientology an immense amount of credit for his success.

In reality, I think he should have Quentin Tarantino's picture painted on the tail of his plane as a sign of gratitude to QT for rescuing his career.

15. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    He bought and restored a vintage 707 and got Qantas to underwrite part of the cost by agreeing to paint it in Qantas colors and taking it in on a worldwide tour on their behalf. Pictures of the interior (which is modern and stunning) are on the web somewhere.

16. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Cheap SOB, isn't he? He doesn't even have hangers for his planes.

17. ART360

ART360 Guest

Building codes probably don't allow a structure that big.

Art

18. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    The 707s that are flying for personal use are running a couple million dollars right now, but that's nothing compared to the $30 million plus some are paying for new private jets fractions of the size. You could theoretically pick up a WELL used older plane for a couple hundred grand, but you will spend millions getting it back up to spec, installing an interior and repainting before most people would feel comfortable taking to the skies in a 40 year old beater.

Here are a few pics of the interior of John's plane.
    http://www.airliners.net/open.file/269511/L/
    http://www.airliners.net/open.file/253707/L/
    http://www.airliners.net/open.file/253297/L/
    http://www.airliners.net/open.file/251684/L/

This is what the plane looked like before he repainted it.
    http://www.airliners.net/open.file/172804/L/

19. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    I don't know about a hangar for his 707 but I've been to numerous residentail airparks that have hangars large enough for his Gulfstream. Some airpark hangars are actually the car garage and hangar in one building: hangar door on the taxiway side and 3, 4, 5, 6+ auto garage doors on the other side... with an extra large RV door for good measure. Most airpark hangars I've been in also have an office/lounge, bathroom, shop, etc.

I'm planning to buy a house in an airpark down the road someday.

Here is a neat website about airparks:
    http://www.airparks.com/

20. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Art, you're probably right... but isn't incredible that these codes allow one to park a 707 in their back yard?

21. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    I can't imagine that a 707 is a "pilots place" (as in "drivers car"). How much fun can such a beast be to fly? Plus, if you're flying you can't enjoy the facilities (i.e., Kelly Preston meow..) so I guess he employs some pilots too.

Luke.

22. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Regardless of how much coin you have, I can't imagine wanting to live in a fly-in community. The last thing I would want to hear is the roar of jet engines throughout the day and night. Seems pretty silly to me.

23. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    Quite a pad he has there. He needs to get himself a T-38 Talon for weekend fun, hehe.

24. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Some people just love flying. I dont know for sure, but i dont think you find to many people in their 152's getting excited over it's performance either. Same sort of thing, except a 707 probably goes 500mph (even though you dont feel any of it).

My question is what happens when someone loses it on landing and their plane goes careening into your house? Imagine the damage a 707 would do.

25. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    My friend flies Lears and has crossed paths with JT several times. Sounds like he's the kind of guy who likes to hop out of the plane and hang with the mechanics. You know. Sorta the Anti-Schummi. Anyway, I heard that JT was asked to leave his first fly-in community because it was a no-jet area, and he kept flying in with his private jet. I wonder if he spends all his time on Private707chat.com?