Jogging... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Jogging...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by DriveAfterDark, Nov 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    +1 ...I have two after dinner

2. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011

From an insulin standpoint carbs are carbs the body processes them the same, read the details many times in the past, can't be bothered with it now other than to know it's all the same after it gets into your system. It's the amount or portions that are important. You can eat sugar all you want, it won't make you a diabetic, unless you consume too much and get fat. That's also simplified from a lot of scientific reading. (oils and trans-fats are a different matter)

I do have to eat gluten free. If you want to eat a certain way, staying awy from processed items in favor of more raw stuff that is fine but don't get carried away, a sugar is a sugar, whether it comes from an orange or a packet of Dominos.

3. BT ZR1

BT ZR1 Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Toronto
    #53 BT ZR1, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    Not really correct, which is why fruit and the sugar it contains also contains fiber and
    fiber provides “its greatest benefit when the cell walls that contain it remain intact,” Sugars are effectively sequestered in the fruit’s cells, and it takes time for the digestive tract to break down those cells. The sugars therefore enter the bloodstream slowly, giving the liver more time to metabolize them. Four apples may contain the same amount of sugar as 24 ounces of soda, but the slow rate of absorption minimizes any surge in blood sugar. Repeated surges in blood sugar make the pancreas work harder and can contribute to insulin resistance, thereby increasing the risk for Type 2 diabetes. Again my point is to minimize spikes in blood sugar levels to alleviate the load on the pancreas. The best way to do this is to avoid wheat because it is pervasive in the north American diet and has a really destructive effect on the pancreas, which is precisely why diabetes is an epidemic.

By the way this is why fruit juices are junk food, yes that's right the orange juice you drink, there is no fiber, it has been removed. !

4. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    The same can be said about brown rice vs white rice it takes longer to break down before the sugars hit the bloodstream, I know all this and have known it for decades. But net/net its the amount consumed. You are living an extreme diet and outlook when you are so worried about such trivial matters. Don't worry about diabetes, if you are active and not fat, or some other genetic condition.

Live life and be happy, eat a hershey bar today. I'm munching on some GF frosted flakes right now.

5. BT ZR1

BT ZR1 Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Toronto
    I don't worry , I eat often and eat well. My doctor tells me if he has more patients like me , he would be bankrupt! that's good enough for me.

6. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    Yes, it seems you are doing very well. You make a very good point about "inflammation". That word really ties into the disease process in the body and science really is just begginning to understand it. I mentioned it in another thread in this section where your lifestyle and mood played a big role in how successful you could be in not only gaining muscle, but being healthy.

"Chocolate stimulates the release of endorphins, natural hormones produced by the brain, that generates feelings of pleasure and promotes a sense of well being."

There is a tie between the stomach and brain (https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=stomach+brain+connection&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 )

So eating happy foods is good, and denying would be detrimental to a lot of people. If it makes you happy to eat a very strict diet, then that's great. But for me and a lot of other people it would release all kinds of inflammatory chemicals into our bloodstreams because we would be miserable without these enjoyable foods.

So 2 roads that arrive at the same general location. And I don't even have a Doc.

7. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    It has been said and believed in some cultures that the more often you eat that it reduces your lifespan

8. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Let's get back on the jogging topic.

The best advice has been said already. Start slow and don't let anyone dictate your pace or distance. Find a nice area to run and go at your own pace. I have a 4km loop in my area that I run. When I started I couldn't even finish the loop BUT it forced me to walk and keep active for the remainder. Keep a nice steady pace until you get into a steady rhythm.

If it is warm and you are starting I would suggest wearing light clothing to ease the joints. Shoe's are something you should do a nice chunk of research on. It is very tough to start and with the added weight you may have put on it will be tougher and increase pressure on the joints.

As you get comfortable you will begin to not only increase our distance but your pace as well. I lost almost 60lbs running and it all went in small steps. I began trying it out with the small runs 2-3 km of jogging and running. I got got shoe's that suited my style and I began to run daily. I ran more and more (slowly and steady) to increase the distance.

No pain no gain does NOT apply here. No reason to try and run 10km on you're fifth run because you feel you can push yourself. Cut it off and save it for the next day. I used this method and at one point was running 10km in the morning AND 10km at night multiple days a week.

I used music and some nice routes to keep me going. Once I felt my muscles adapted a little to running I put heavier items on once a week to do more of a sweat run. Keep hydrated and my suggestion is always run, especially when starting, in a smaller loop with lots of general traffic. The last thing you want is to be injured (or anything else) miles form home.

Good luck and be safe.

9. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    The best advice for the belly fat has been given and it's walking. As to running capacity, I would say why? No health benefits, marathoners look like *****, pro and amateur and often end up with really bothersome chronic pain.

10. mazymake325125

May 24, 2014
    Every two time in hole day morning i do jogging and running.

11. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    I've done / do both walking and running.

It's important not to underestimate the power of walking -- huge health benefits.

I've started to walk more than run -- although I still do it from time to time. But I do find it to be high impact on my body - so I don't do long distances. I think combing it with weight training is a good healthy balance.

Some have mentioned the intervals. Ive found they do help drop weight 2 min run 2 min walk/jog for 1/2 hour say heart rate of 120-130 and 140-150.

I would say doing these 10-20% of the time and walking and weights and other training 80-90% of the time works well for me.