Jogging... | FerrariChat

Jogging...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by DriveAfterDark, Nov 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I'm considering to start jogging to get rid of some belly fat and get back my lost running capacity.

Anything I should know before starting? Like how much is enough, and how often do you guys recommend for me to run every week?

Any recommendations for shoes or other clothes?

Any apps that track distances? I'm thinking that would be a clever idea to log.

Any type of clothing advice for winter running? The daily winter coat obviously won't do the job...

Any input is much appreciated :)

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I love jogging, but be very careful starting especially if a little overweight and your age. You can hurt all kinds of things knees especially. Cycling is generally the best because it doesn't stress your parts as much and the LSD (Long Slow Distance) will burn more fat than SH (Short Hard). Until you get in really really good shape jogging it is near impossible to jog "easy".

Find your local running store get fitted for shoes and get advice on clothing.

I haven't looked, but certain several mobile apps available, but then you would have to run with phone. Might be some heart rate monitors with built in software/GPS for this same thing, but more expensive. Old school you just need stop watch and use Google Earth trail distance measurement tool to get your distance.

I heat up quickly and would rather be a little cold than hot.

45+ degrees = shorts, short sleeve running shirt.

30-45 degrees = shorts, long sleeve running shirt, light hat, light gloves.

< 30 = tights under shorts, long sleeve little warmer shirt or 2 layers, light hat, light gloves.

3. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Thank you very much for replying. I guess I will have to check out the appropriate clothing level.

So basically I should start slow (like all training) and build up speed over time, to not stress my body right away?

4. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    If you google around there are some pretty decent instruction websites for building up your stamina. Some have decent plans for people who are starting "from the couch" and want to build up to certain distances such as 5k, 10k, etc.

Without knowing more about you, I'd say start real slow alternating between slow jogging and walking to initially build your wind, then slowly transition into all jogging.

The idea is to build your wind so that whatever pace you run, you can carry on a conversation. Obviously the convo won't be like dinner convo, but you should be able to continually converse with a running partner. I've always liked that guideline because you can always gauge whether you're pushing yourself too hard.

Mark

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Running intervals will garnish better results than jogging. At 40 , I began interval running . In 45 i dropped 25 and 12% of my body fat, 2 inches off waist . This was without changing my eating.

I wished I heated quickly ...

<70 degrees jogging suit

<50 I add hat and gloves

<40 full thermals under jogging suits heavy hat and gloves

<30 limited to 2 miles toes/finger start to feel numb

Perfect running temp 80-90 and it still takes 2 miles to break a sweat .

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ describe yout.interval routine. thanks

8. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I was in this position a few years ago. Previous jogger, gained weight, knees started to hurt, stopped. I then lost a little weight and decided to try jogging again. I did "run walk". I bought a Garmin 610 GPS watch, which allows you to set run intervals (by time) and then walk intervals (by time) plus it tracks everything you do. I started walking 2, running 1 and repeating. I think I went 30 minutes my first time (I was in reasonable shape from biking, the elliptical, etc.). I got up to 12 miles doing 2 minutes walk, 2 minutes run. I can now comfortably run 6-9 miles, and usually average 7-8 with no walking.

The only caution is to make sure during the running sections that you don't push to hard to fast--since you are recovered from the walking and only have to run for one minute, it is easy to run a little to hard and injure something.

9. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Really appreciate your responses, very helpful as I realize that I need to start slow. Also, to find out more about interval running/walking.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'd also recommend simply getting out there and getting any kind of workout in.

You'll find that over time all of your muscles, including you heart, become much stronger and also recover more quickly.

Something that's fun for me is to raise my heart rate, and then slow down and let it recover. And then elevate it again. And then recover.

Keep doing this and you will soon look back and realize how out of shape you used to be. And you'll feel that much better.

As Nike says, Just Do It!

Matt

11. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Run 1; 4 sets of 5 , 100m sprints
    Sprint down under 20 sec then walk back then immediately start again.
    Rest 2 minutes between sets.

Rest

Run 2; 6 200m sprints under 40 sec , rest 30 between sprints. These I added one extra sprint every second week.

Rest

Run 3; 4 400m sprint, one minute rest between sprint . Add one every second week

Rest

Run 4 ; 2 mile run with second mile being faster than first.

Rest then repeat series .

12. BMWManiac

BMWManiac Karting

Apr 22, 2007
    Aberdeen, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Another form of interval running you can try, and this is how we get Privates in the Army, who aren't very athletic, into Army shape....

30/60
    Sprint for 30, walk/jog for 60.....start off with 20 min of this

Once you are comfortable with this, you increase to 60/90, up to 90/120s

As others have mentioned, intervals are best at removing body fat....it is the hard/simple truth. Intensity is key...look at sprinters/marathon runners and you can easily see who has less body fat/more definition.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    [:)]

sorry, nothing personal, but intervals are just STUPID for starting runners. Ask any pro this!!!

something you could call "intervals" (not really) that is good for beginning runners is the jog - walk - jog - walk that most of those "couch to 10k/Half-Marathon" type programs do.

you simply have to walk before you jog and jog before you run and run before you sprint!

I don't compete anymore, but even when I was competing high miles my track intervals were just a couple months a year when I already had a HUGE base built up and little risk for injuries.

Now I am nowhere near that shape or injury-proof, so even when I get in better shape each year I won't do sprint intervals, I will just do some long hill repeats or speed up for a few minutes from jog to run speeds.

[/:)]

14. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I have yet to find a routine that really works. I have been exercising my whole life but I am still fat.

The classic phrase "what works for one person may not work for another" is so true when it comes to all of these exercise suggestions.

I'm gonna watch this thread to see what is said...

15. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    Hey Al, ironic location for you on this subject.

As to the topic, the answer has already been posted in other threads but some people either don't look or don't like the truth.

16. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'm not sure what you mean...

17. Madaboutred

Madaboutred Karting

Aug 10, 2013
    Athens Greece
    Full Name:
    Aris Thomazos
    I am a heavy smoker, was very overweight and close to the age of 60 so I desperately wanted to do something to put me back on track.
    Tried jogging for a while but I felt even worse at the end of each "run". I was actually killing myself because I had no idea of what to do.
    So I went to a gym and the trainer adjusted the treadmill to do a "workout programm" just for me.
    Three months later and after 30 minutes of daily practice, I was able to hit the streets and did 5 miles at a decent speed without any problems.

So I am just saying, maybe you should try a gym for a month or two just to be on the safe side and then when you feel OK, try something on your own.
    Just my 2c.

18. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I recenty started running, too - for your shoes, it's inevitable to try them in a shop. The clothing I got at Decathlon (DECATHLON - Sports Shoes, Sportswear and Sports Equipment), they're all over Europe so you should be able to order there, too. Clothes are dirt cheap and of pretty good quality. They also have special winter running stuff.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    running and hard exercise is good, but not the best fat burning. you are better off going longer and slower for fat burn. cycling is GREAT for this! easy on joints and you can go slow for hours which will burn a ton of fat. just watch out for the cars, cycling on roads is most dangerous thing I do and that's along with piloting, mountain hunting, car racing, and fast boats.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    good advice.

21. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    Scarsdale, Al, the Scarsdale diet.

But Al I just searched and we have talked about this subject twice (at least)

and I said;

and

and you said

Mystery solved. I like to eat too, but I am very conscious of how it affects me and lay off when I have to. How's the new treadmill?

and
    But walking at a decent pace on flat level ground is by far the best. I do it regardless of temperature year round as can anyone reading this thread. Find a nice track, a nice park, a flat trail, buy some comfy shoes and DO IT. I do 5 miles now every other day. I would never do it everyday, the body always needs a rest day. Some people here live in places where the scenery would be incredible on their walk.

22. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Vinny, my bad! You are so right.

I did get lazy and just reply to the new thread, w the same ol' bs in my head.
    As opposed to looking right now at what we discussed (I'll go back later) I just wanted to reply here to say I understand now & you are right.

And a lot does fly over my head (Scarsdale/ Scarsdale diet). I'm too darn literal out of the gate, takes me a while to figure it out. I'm used to be clueless, it's easier sometimes, plus a lot of other stuff in my head. ;-) Whatever...

I'll add I did get a commercial grade t'mill (True) & it is ok, no bells&whistles like the bodyguard but solid. Not happy w Gym Source though, that's another story...

Maybe I'll either add more comments in that old thread or I'll reply here again with my recent experience w/ my weight dilemma.

Regards,
    Al

23. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Vinny--what makes walking "the best"--best for weight loss, building aerobic capacity, anaerobic threshold, muscle mass, etc.? I agree it is very good, but I'm not sure it is a universal "best" fit for all. Also, when folks are looking for guidance, I think it is very safe and good suggestion DEPENDING upon that individuals specific goals. Swimming, for example, can work for folks who have a host of lower extremity issues that might preclude walking.

Everyone is different (maybe not completely, but I think any group of, say, 50 year old guys would segregate into several groups--with significant differences between the groups, but relative similarity within the group). One key is that, for almost everyone, weight loss (if that is the primary goal) is best achieved by some combination of increased activity and dietary modifications.

I've said this before, but for what I think is probably 50% or more of the US population, the issue (other than the obvious inactivity, too many total calories, etc.) is the focus on low fat. Nutritional science is starting to swing around regarding that advice, and is shifting (for some, not for all) to advocating low carb (not specifically Atkins, though they are similar).

24. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    #24 Vinny Bourne, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    Exercise type, vigorous Walking is the best possible combo and compromise of real world factors.

1 - Very little downforce impact on joints like foot, ankle, shins vs. running, jogging, or gym "aerobics"
    2 - Very little wear on joints like hip and knee because of limited arc vs. ellypticals and street bikes, not to mention prostate damage from bike seats
    3 - uses entire body at very low utilization, legs of course, abs and spine, swinging arms
    4- increases blood circulation

5 - Because of it's nature, being very UNstrenuous, it burns the most calories from fat vs. other forms of "aerobic" exercises SEE CHART** -- you want the yellow zone File:Exercise zones.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ***

some wiki mumbojumbo -- Sustained walking sessions for a minimum period of thirty to sixty minutes a day, five days a week, with the correct walking posture,[6][7] reduce health risks and have various overall health benefits,[8] such as reducing the chances of cancer, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, anxiety and depression.[9] Life expectancy is also increased even for individuals suffering from obesity or high blood pressure. Walking also increases bone health, especially strengthening the hip bone, and lowering the more harmful low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and raises the more useful good high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol.[10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17]

Studies have found that walking may also help prevent dementia and Alzheimer's.[18]

The CDC's fact sheet on the Relationship of Walking to Mortality Among U.S. Adults with Diabetes states that those with diabetes who walked for 2 or more hours a week lowered their mortality rate from all causes by 39 per cent. "Walking lengthened the life of people with diabetes regardless of age, sex, race, body mass index, length of time since diagnosis, and presence of complications or functional limitations."

There is an old saying; you can work hard or long but you can't work hard and long. It's because you will build up lactic acid when you get out of the fat burn zone. All the other choices have major downsides and do not match the upside.

25. BT ZR1

BT ZR1 Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Toronto
    I will try and help you. I'm 51, have 7% body fat and have an awesome six pack and 17.5" biceps. Here is why you are still fat. Your diet is all wrong. if you really want to shed the fat , I suggest you start and maintain a weightlifting/ conditioning routine. You could hire a trainer to assist you. Otherwise use barbells, dumb bells , do curls , squats etc. Do this 3 or 4 times a week. Progress to heavier weights over time. If you want try p90X, BUT the key is your diet. You need to eat clean. Eliminate all wheat products. That means no bread, pasta, all flour. Eliminate as much sugar from your diet as possible. No Juice , no soda , all of it is pure garbage. Eat often and eat lean protein , egg white omelets, lean chicken , fish , lean meats. Learn how to eat clean AND I guarantee you will lose fat. IF it comes in a box throw it out. If it does not rot in a couple of days , throw it out. Jogging / Running is fine but you will not build muscle . You need to amp up your metabolism by doing weights and eating clean and eating often. Muscle burns calories, fat does not.