Joel Osteen | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Joel Osteen

Discussion in 'Texas' started by texasmr2, Apr 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Whenever I see JO on television, the term con man & huckster come to mind. I remember seeing the movie "Marjoe" back in the 70's, which exposed the corruption & greed of his type of shyster. There are plenty of gullible folks out there looking to be taken advantage of & plenty of "ministers" ready to take their money. It seems more so in Texas. The whole mega-church business of religion sometimes causes me to think about selling that bridge in Brooklyn I own ... real cheap! Any takers?

Cheers

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    & Snake handlin'.

via rubber ducky

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Not sure why you would say that...

My wife and I found his show by accident on TV, and love watching it. Very inspirational. And not once during the entire show does he ask for money...

If you go to his sermons, you can enjoy it on many levels. It can be inspirational, religious, educational, or purely entertainement. Clearly the folks that go donate money, whats wrong with that?

A 2 hour movie will run your family 100$ with popcorn. A 2 hour sermon with music, dance, and lecture, would get a $100 out of me with no issues.

Kudos to a guy who managed to figure out that religion can be fun and inspirational, rather than depressing, boring, and uninvolved.

If our local church were anything like Joel's, I ight go more than once a year or so...

Bo

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #54 rob lay, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    who is a fan of Kenneth Copeland? I love those tithing prosperity ministers that link the more you give to the better you will be. if you don't know where much of the money goes, I do because I visited Copelands private hangar. this only shows about half of his planes, 5+ business jets up to the Citation X shown. who needs that many gas guzzling private business jets? sure there is some mission work, but do you know how limited those jets are how many people they carry and what the price an hour is to operate? you tell me if that money could be distributed better. all the while operating under tax free no records or reporting of anything.

My dad was a Presbyterian minister (on small salary didn’t matter how much church brought in and our families yearly offering was the highest % in church) and one of his favorite jokes…

They built a new statue of Oral Roberts praying, but when unveiled they noticed the praying hands had a gap. They brought in the best engineers and couldn’t figure out how to fix the statue. A clever young lad casually walked up and flipped a silver dollar up between the hands and they closed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    large mega church or small traditional church? one thing I miss about my dad's small church was the community, you can call it God club. Everyone knew everyone the social events and friends outside of church. It was happy and personal.

6. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Rob, our church is a small catholic church.

The masses are so boring, repetitive, uninspirational... that I fully understand why folks under the age of 50 never go. I have belonged to mutliple churches, all are the same.

I wish I grew up baptist, they seem to love going to mass...singing, dancing, rejoicing.

Even Jewish folks are extremely religious, and go frequently. Though, for different reasons. Happiness is not a religious trait I see among my jewish freinds...its more religious devotion...

My Muslim freinds also take religion seriously. Pray several times a day.

Catholic churches have lost their way. You miss nothing by avoiding mass. Its sad.

Bo

7. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Aren't the Baptist the ones that don't dance? I went to an ex girlfriends wedding(dont ask) and I think she had a Baptist wedding.....we all left after the ceremony and went to a bar because there was no alcohol or dancing. I may be getting the religions mixed up though lol

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they just save it for Weddings and Funerals, oh my Catholics have the best Weddings and Funerals! Best parties I have ever been to.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    there is as much variety in Baptists as there is in mega church charismatic preachers (gay hating homosexuals themselves http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Haggard to those like Joel Osteen who are probably on the up and up).

10. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Lol oh okay. I skip all of it. I was "brought up" Catholic because my mother is from Spain and father was from Argentina, Its all they knew I guess. We stopped going to church because of all the crap involved and the money you had to give. Plus when my father was going through some major sh*t before he passed away, they turned him away because he wasn't a member. Get the f**k outta here, what happened to just walking into a church to pray? I go to church when theres a wedding or funeral, thats about it. They can all kiss my a$$ before they get in their Cadillacs and drive to their million dollar homes. If I need to pray, I do it at home.

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Wikipedia:
    Baptists >
    List of Denominations >
    North America >

Behold the plethora of differences between associations. GARBC ain't dancers, Evangelicals get their ya-ya's and demon spirits out.

via rubber ducky

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Maybe I give people too much credit, but I wonder why the majority don't ask the question "why am I the religion of my parents and geographics?". :) You are born in Middle east you are most likely Muslim, born in India most likely Hindi, born in Spain/Mexico Catholic, and born in Texas Baptist! :) Each religion thinks they are right and I guess their God is limited by political and cultural boundaries that were manmade. Funny, an all powerful God that has problems crossing borders. ;) humans humans humans. :D

13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Rob, I suspect that if folks weren't indoctrinated into a religion through childhoold, most folks wouldn't be the religion that they currently are. Think about it. What would the brochures say??? (Tongue in cheek):

Honestly, with full objectivity, I suspect most folks would choose to be Buddists... ;)

Bo

14. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    It was a great experience and something I have wanted to do for years, check one off my bucket list. For myself my religion played no part in my attendance as I believe that just being a kind and forgiving soul and how one treats his fellow man/woman/child is what truelly matters.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I didn't realize we has so much in common, two kind souls that bicker a bunch. ;)

16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    It is rather difficult to express ones true intent or meaning via a keyboard Rob. We bicker mainly because of my failure too express my thoughts properly and for that I apologize.

Tater

ps, I plead the 5th on my to's and too's, spell check has banned me.

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It was actually the uncut long hair that got me going, and of course (as Paul Thorn very accurately describes) THE FIREWORKS STAND!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #68 texasmr2, Jan 10, 2013
    I found this today on FB, posted by my cousin who recently lost his mom, and could not think of a more appropriate thread..........kinda describes me so I guess that is why I like it so much and was in need of a day at church.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    #69 wingfeather, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    I'm sorry you feel this way, but your perception is way off target. *edit - Come to think of it, I was turned off at first by his look and mannerisms. But once you really listen to what he has to say, you will get past that old traditional southern "book cover". Give it a try :)

As for "mega churches", there are wolves in sheep's clothing for sure - just as there are Ferrari owners who made their money through shady or illegal practices. Plenty of shysters in every walk of life. I don't discount Ferraris because of (more than a few) bad apples.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #70 rob lay, Jan 15, 2013
  21. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    It's Bobby Baillargeon, er, I mean Clay Cooley.......
    "Shop me first, shop me last, whatever you do, come see Clay"......Amen.....

22. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    He will be in Little Rock in March I plan on attending. If anyone is in that area.

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #73 texasmr2, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    I am not sure how religious you are but if your anything like me I can do without the 45min's of music aswell as his wifes talks, get to Joel.

24. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    As I've only known Joel through his CD's (which are all message & no singing), I took it upon myself to watch a service via Lakewood's website. I thought for sure y'all were exaggerating. Sadly I learned that you aren't. WOW... and the worst part is that you can't fast forward the videos.

25. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So show up 45 minutes late?