Jet Lag | FerrariChat

Jet Lag

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Texas Forever, Feb 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Part of the issue with log travels is airport stress, airplane takeoff stress which releases adrenalin, practicaly no humidity on the plane, a big dose of cosmic radiation while airborne, lack of movement for 15 or more hours, landing stress, arrival stress.

Youre much better off on train or a ship if possible.

2. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Set your time piece to the correct destination time before leaving. Sleep on the plane or at the destination using your appropriate destination time. Use coffee or other stimulant at the destination wake up time and use an Rx sleep aid on the plane or at destination to sleep at the appropriate destination time.Instead of days you can make the adjustment in one day.
    Bruce Roche Rph

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The greatest cure for Jet Lag?

TIME.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Carne Asada Burrito

- via iPhone

5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    ...driving.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I have a hard time sleeping on planes, but sleep whenever I can on them.

Once I'm at my destination, I stay awake past my normal time to sleep (back home time) and I stay awake until the local time is time to go to bed (even if it's the next day). It works well and I adjust immediately.

The worst time switch for that method is a 12 hour timezone change and you arrive at night locally when people are about to sleep. Then I'd have to stay up for 24 hours since it would be like 9AM for me physically. I'm already used to working 24 hour shifts for work without breaks so it's not too bad.

7. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    The usual rule is put yourself into the time you just got into right away and try to sleep in the plane by not sleeping much before you leave like partying out really late

8. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I travel far too much on business (but good for a ton of free miles and a few fancy lounges).

As a general rule, it takes one day for every hour's difference to get over jet lag.

For important business deals I will always fly out early, based on early experience. We won a big contract with one of the major Hollywood Film Studios. They scheduled our contract meeting at 14:00 LA time. We flew in from London the evening before.

By 16:30 my head felt like Mike Tyson was having a party inside it. The deal was successfully concluded.

A few weeks later my senior client asked how did I enjoy my visit. I said all was great (including the private studio tour etc) but the contract meeting was like climbing Everest without oxygen in swimming trunks.

He burst out laughing. He said next time watch the jet lag timing, our meeting was deliberately scheduled by them for maximum jet lag. It's a powerful negotiating aid. We still have the client 15 years later but lesson was learnt!