japanese vs Italian bikes... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

japanese vs Italian bikes...

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by bostonmini, Apr 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I think that the real bike will look a little better that the computer mock-up. I hope anyway.

BTW, I am selling my 998 if anyone is interested. The link is here:
    http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=27009

And I'm also selling the MV. I have too many motorcycles. I am just going to hang on to my race bikes.

2. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    After three of sixteen races, MotoGP point standings are: 1.Gibernau (Honda), 2. Biaggi (Honda), 3. Rossi (Yamaha), 4. Barros (Honda), 5. Checa (Yamaha), 6. Edwards, (Honda), 7. Hayden (Honda), 8. Capriossi (Ducati), 9. Tie for: Melandri (Yamaha) & Tamada (Honda) 11. Tie for: Roberts (Suzuki) & Abe (Honda) 13. Nakano, (Kawasaki) 14. Bayliss (Ducati) 15. Fabrizio, (Harris WCM) 16. Hopkins (Suzuki). 17. Tie for: McWilliams (Aprilla), Hofmann (Kawasaki). 19. Tie for: Xaus (Ducati) & Aoki (Proton). 21. Tie for: Roberts (Proton) & Burns (Harris WCM). Frankly, I think that at this point, the results show a Japanese dominance (over Italian bikes). Perhaps by the end of the season this will change (the Ducatis have so far posted the top terminal speeds). Also, I do believe that last year MotoGP rules gave Ducati a break as rules restricted the inline fours (Japanese) - keeping them from making their optium power, but Honda (Japanese) still won. Also, so far this year Yamaha riders have achieved one first place as well as a second and two fourths. Naturally, Honda is the dominant manufacturer at this point. I'm hoping that Rossi and Checa will show Honda just what Yamaha can do. Oh, one other thing: In Illinois (land of Lincoln and few curved roads), twins have no edge over inline fours whether or not they are Italian or Japanese. Also, with the new 1000 cc bikes from Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki adding to Suzuki's already potent GSXR 1000, even if the roads did have curves, the Japanese bikes would rule. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. p.s. If I had the money for a Ducati, I'd have at least one of them.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Only a wee fine point; you kind-of imply the Japanese bikes are all I-4s, I'm sure you didn't mean that with the Honda.

No doubt the Japanese bikes will dominate, but remember the Ducati is in only its 2nd year (or third?, i cannot remember) and I think it has made a respectable showing so far.

I think the more interesting aspect is the Rossi-Yamaha vs Honda-anyone match-up. It appears Rossi (who I believe is the best rider ever {forgive me Agostini}) may need a little time to adjust to the Yammie. A very interesting year for a change, kind of nice its not a walk-away like it usually is!

4. Paul Vincent

Apr 3, 2004
    Honest Injun, I did (for the duraion of writing that reply) fergit about that extre cylinder. Thanks fer the reminder. My mistake!

5. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

There is only one competitve I-4 (Yamaha). Kawasaki is mid-pack at best (my name for them last year was the "green caboose"). WCM is hopeless.
    Honda (V-5)
    Yamaha (I-4)
    Suzuki (V-4)
    Kawasaki (I-4)
    Ducati (V-4)
    Aprilia (I-3)
    Proton (V-5)
    WCM (I-4)

I was not aware of any restrictions to the I-4's to limit their power. There have never been any restrictions to the Honda V-5, it has always had the most power (along with Ducati). Ducati riders have had several DNF's so far, and the handling of the new bike is not as good as it was last year, but they are improving.

The win for Yamaha in SA was with Rossi, he is so good he could win on most bikes in the championship. Last year Yamaha was crap, along with every other bike but Honda and Ducati. Checa rode the best race he has had in years last weekend, but it will probably be the highlight of his season.

As far as whether the Jap I-4 literbikes would be faster than a 999, if you can ride a 999 to its full potential, you wouldn't be chatting here. You'd be testing at Valencia or Misano in preparation for the next round of WSBK for Ducati Corse. All of the big sportbikes are so good that it comes down to the rider. Their abilities are so far above most riders', you'll be able to keep up with your buddies on any of them, assuming everyone has comparable experience. If it is only straight line performance, a Hayabusa with a Mr. Turbo kit would destroy any of the rest.

6. Paul Vincent

Apr 3, 2004
    Perhaps the handicap was the minimum bike weight which the different engine configurations had to carry. I don't have those weights at hand, but Ill look for them. I do know that they vary.

7. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Four and five cylinder machines have the same minimum weight. Inline or V does not matter.

Triples are 10 kg lighter

Twins are 10 kg lighter than triples (no one has a twin, however)

Six or more cylinders have a higher minimum weight than fours & fives. (again, no one uses more than 6 cylinders)

Perhaps more significant will be the restrictions on the amount fuel carried by the bikes. It will be reduced by 2 liters from 24L to 22L. this will limit the maount of horsepower that can be produced until fuel economy can be improved. This will affect all teams whether Jap, British, or Italian.

8. Paul Vincent

Apr 3, 2004
    I am finding out much info here every day. I hadn't heard thet Ducati was going to market a bike to challenge the power of the Japanese bikes, but I am glad that they are going to do it (maybe the Euroweenies won't restrict its top speed as they did for the Busa and the ZX12R). Also, since the Ducati hit 215 mph this year, I'm amazed to read that the power is down compared to last year. I thought that they (Ducati) had app. 250 hp., and that those speeds reflected it.