Jalopnik: never speed in virginia...3 days in jail... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Jalopnik: never speed in virginia...3 days in jail...

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Britzky9, Aug 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Britzky9

Britzky9 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2010
    Phila region

+1

I use waze every time on the highway...especially in an "exotic" and especially when mini vans and SUVs are up my a$$...me driving 70+ MPH to get into open space is 100x safer than a mini van or SUV in the left lane talking on the phone while their kids are watching videos in the back seat (unless they are watching something cool like Speed Racer, then I will get behind them and watch to pass the time... :) ).

As for the article, yes, the guy was speeding excessively...but 3 days in jail? Really? Jail time? For what exactly? And to his point - he could have done community service.

The only thing that came to mind on the flip side of the argument was that they might have known he was a journalist and was sending a message to the rest of us...message received.

2. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    I agree Bob, The best location in my opinion was when it was held at New Jersey Motorsports Park. Too bad the Ferrari Club Presence is so strong in Virginia as that is what dictates the location. Who is willing to take the financial responsibility for throwing the event. Sure not gonna be the Jersey Region. Jon in Delaware

3. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Agree. Even if traffic is cruising along at 65-70, 93 is over a 30% speed differential. If this was on I-95, it also means the driver had to be weaving in and out of traffic at that speed. They may not like it, and may disagree, but I'll also stand by dsd's statement - just dumb.

What you need to understand is that FCA National *CAME TO US* and asked us to host the 2014 National event - we did not "dictate" it. Also remember that we had not hosted since 2006 - 8 years. So no, whatever presence we may or may not have is NOT what dictated location. BTW - 2015 is in Monterey/Laguna Seca, 2016 at Mid-Ohio, and I think 2017 is already decided, too - and it's not NoVA. You're welcome to your opinions and desires, but please know what you're talking about before making such sweeping statements.

4. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Besides the 2014 National, when was the last? Quite a while ago, if you look at it honestly.

5. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Is "presumed" the same as "assumed"? ;)

CW - I'm not disagreeing with you - I always respect your opinions. What this says to me is that the cert/licensing process is faulty. I have nothing against high speed driving, I just don't want to feel like my life is in danger because of all of the, shall we say, "less competent" drivers out there.

6. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    For the record, there are stretches of I-95 between Richmond and DC which are posted at 65 and 70mph. I wouldn't call that "the very low end of the spectrum". But that's just me.

You said you just transplanted from SoCAL, where seasonal weather changes probably don't damage the roads as badly as they do here (and even worse in the Northeast). Is that a fair statement? I think reflective paint is used (and it wouldn't surprise me if that's a requirement nationwide), what you're probably seeing is the end of it's useful life.

FWIW.

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    The training and licensing process is a joke in this country. So, we're in agreement.

As to the second portion, it's up to the driver to determine in any given circumstance what's appropriate. That's what the VA DMV even teaches. There are unlimited factors to consider. Driving home at midnight on the Dulles Toll Road when it's empty is not the same as weaving in and out of heavy beltway traffic. One's relatively safer (dare I say it's safe even?), one isn't. One rule cannot be applied to all circumstances, and, in the law, there are numerous exceptions. If in those issues, why not in this one?

Obviously, I don't think anyone is advocating that speeding Xmph over is appropriate for all circumstances. If anything, I think the argument would be that the court should consider the circumstances. Traffic courts don't generally do that beyond a point, which is evidence that they do consider speeding to be, prima facie, reckless. This is in open conflict with how other jurisdictions treat such an issue and, honestly, should be reconciled.

I think there's a lot of folks who dislike (not the least of which are the judges) mandatory sentencing guidelines when it comes to minor drug possession offenses. So, if that's so disagreeable, why isn't this?

I would also challenge your belief that 30% over is prima facie. It's the same argument, put another way. Why is your 30% a better way to address it? It's relative to the posted limit, but I would again argue that on an empty, straight and 8-lane divided highway, "safe" may be far more than 30%. It could be 100%. It could be more. Or less.

I also think hard and fast rules are ridiculous, for something such as this. Everyone one of us at some point in our lives has exceeded the speed limit, even if by only one mph. In almost all instances, without causing a major crash resulting in fatalities. I think we, as a country, need to think more about how we enforce traffic laws. DC has become photo-ticket revenue reliant! VA throws people in jail? And, the DC metro region is the most congested of all cities in the country? Clearly, it's not working well here. That may be inter-mingling issues, but certainly it points out how bad the whole thing is failing right in front of our noses.

And, as for feeling safe from other drivers? Well, you can just as easily get creamed by someone driving the speed limit but putting their makeup on, not using their turn signals, drunk driving or on their cellphone.

CW

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    More accidents these days from texting. Take texting and DUI out of the equation, take weather out nad there are really very very few accidents. Speeding is just not amajor issue, other than it derives easy revenue and employs squads of goons to enforce the system.

This whole article remided me to avoid Virginia, I will spend my $$$ elsewhere, f-em.

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The only other state I've driven in that is probably just as bad is Louisiana.

If you're driving through Louisiana in a car with an out of state plate, you're a target for
    the Louisiana State Police and expect to be closely monitored.

BHW

10. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Mr. Anonymous 360Gtracer,

You seem a bit defensive today. Do you or did you actually race a 360gt? If so, your aversion to speed laws for VA that are more in line with the rest of the country is fairly odd. Being from VA and having multiple citations under my belt from VA I can tell you....for traffic laws and the mobile traffic enforcement units (aka VA State Police)....VA sucks.

Kevin

11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    A friend of mine got pulled over on 95 in VA on his way to FL in high school. The officer told him he was banned from diving in the state of VA for a year. He was told that on the way back to MD, he would have to drive around VA...

12. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Key issue for location of an FCA International Meet is proximity to the race track and size of nearby hotel large enough to host 200+ rooms to serve as the primary hotel for the Meet.
    In the FCA-MAR (mid-atlantic region which includes VA-MD-DC-DE-WV), the two primary race tracks are Summit Point and VIR.

Would love to see it held at VIR some day but the hotel situation near the track is sparse.

As others said, NJMP is in the Penn-Jersey Region of the FCA, so not an option for the MAR.
    I really enjoyed going to the FCA Annual Meet at NJMP in September 2010 and agree it is a great track. Unfortunately, that Millville area of NJ also has a shortage of hotels large enough to be the host hotel for the Meet.

As far as the comment "most of the FCA events being held in VA", I would agree that about half of our events each year are in VA. For example, in 2014 there are 10 events on the FCA-MAR Event Calendar with 5 of them in MD and the other 5 in VA. In prior years we've typically done one event in WV (the "West Virginia High" trip) and an occasional event in DC (years ago we had a few at the Italian Embassy).
    Would love to see an event held in northern MD. Any ideas what would work well?
    In 2013 we took the 50th Anniversary 599 with a small group of Ferraris through the back roads of northern MD when we took the 599 from FOW to Algar.

13. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    I refuse to read Jalopnik. Its the National Enquirer of the auto blogs. Truths stretched way too far sensationalism journalism at its worst.

14. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    While I enjoy the debate here, turbos is correct. This is purely about $$$ and not safety.

LS

15. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    All fine and well and good, except for the fact that this is not sensationalized.

Don't ask how I know. I just do.

CW

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Sending someone to jail is about money? I can see the angle, but the reality is that even if you retain a good traffic attorney, the County won't plead it down (unless you're right on the edge). So, expect to go to jail if it's over 90mph period. One day for every MPH over.

Unless Fairfax is now charging for occupancy at the Hilton, being a guest there is an expense to the County.

Thus, the traffic attorneys in VA have coerced the judicial system to put money in their (and their alone) pockets. But, I suppose the DMV (who manages the license suspension), the court fees, and the insurance premiums you will now have to endure could be added in, too.

CW

17. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I agree with this.
    Sending some people to jail for just 20 mph over the speed limit is crazy.
    Especially when it happens on a remote highway on a clear day.

To me, speeding is speeding and reckless driving is something else.
    Reckless driving is when you are doing something that clearly endangers other people - things like weaving through traffic at high speed on the beltway.

You can make the argument that speeding also endangers other people but that is what the penalty for speeding is for. Not necessary to add the reckless charge to it (unless the person was actually doing something reckless on top of just the speeding).

18. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    The best happy hour stories are about friends getting pulled over in VA!

76mph on the Toll Road with out of state plates turns into "wreckless driving" then "illegal window film", then "non stock exhaust", then "illegal license plate cover", then "confiscated radar detector", etc...

Sounds like a concours judging at Cavallino.

LS

19. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Exactly. This actually happens.

CW

20. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You should come up to c&c in Hunt Valley on Saturday mornings and check out some of the Northern Baltimore County back country roads while you're here- they're GREAT driving roads. Also, lots of hotel rooms and wide open spaces for meets (Oregon Ridge state park is right here, and has a 4 or 5 star restaurant on the grounds). Pm me if you wanna come up and I can show you around.

Mike

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Let me say this: I have been driving 44 years, probably around 800,000 miles, in quite a few states. I drive 9 over the posted limit (with very rare exceptions) and have never gotten a speeding ticket. Nor have I ever used a radar detector or any other such device. And that includes over 40,000 miles in a red Ferrari! Just don't be in such a hurry, and you'll get to your destination in decent time and without a citation.

22. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Exactly right. While I also agree w/ CW that the driver should be able to determine what's appropriate, we know that's just not the case. So it's a game. One which I intend to win (as I've said before in other similar threads here....).

I can't say that I've never had a citation, but even with one reckless driving ticket (yes, in VA), I paid a small fine and had no points added to my license. So I would again suggest that it is in the way one plays the game. You can roll the dice or play it safe. I choose the latter because the odds of winning the game are much higher. I drive 6-8 over the limit every single day. Don't even disengage the cruise control when I see a local or state cop running radar - cruise right on through without a second look.

So setting the legal talk and discussions of police (state) attitudes aside, now that we all know the potential consequences, each driver is free to make their own choice based on their risk tolerance. But if you roll the dice and lose - knowing full well what the potential consequences can be - you've no one to blame but yourself.

My story and I'm sticking to it. :)

23. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    9 year crew member for Ferrari Challenge team with multiple championships, and 2 Grand-AM GT class championships (2002, 2003) with Ferrari F360GTs. You?

As I've already mentioned, I'm not against high-speed driving. Just within the past month, I hit triple digits on my way to work one morning. And came close to that in a friend's Porsche on the back country roads which comprise the old Watkins Glen GP circuit. As CW pointed out, I assessed the situation and made my decision accordingly. But there's also a time to keep it on the track.

Sorry you've had such bad experiences in VA. I've also been pulled over in VA multiple times. But usually with minimal or no fines/points. Once in a Ferrari, too (though I really believe he just wanted to see the car....).

Play the game as you see fit. It seems most here have a much higher tolerance for risk than I do (I guess my income just isn't high enough yet). But I will still happily cruise on by the pinging radar guns and arrive at my destination mere seconds (or worst case, minutes) later than I might otherwise have.

FWIW, YMMV, yadda yadda.....

George P.

p.s. - defensive because many comments about FCA event locations come from posters who have not participated in the intense amount of WORK it takes to put together these events. In the past decade, I have spent the better part of 6 years (maybe more....) working on the planning and/or execution of 6 different FCA National events (2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014) and countless FCA-MAR and FOW track events. I would challenge anyone to find anyone else within the entire Ferrari Club of America who has made that level of commitment. So yes, they should know what they're talking about before making sweeping statements about who dictates what.

24. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell

Actually the article was quite good. VERY different from the usual Jalopnik fare. Take a few minutes and read it and I think you will be surprised. The situation he got ticketed for had nothing to do with other traffic - empty road, powerful car, opportunity knocking. We have ALL done it - whether to 80, 90, or 100+.

Like 360GT says, play the game as you see fit. I know that I will be diligent and watching my speed next month while heading down for the Classics on the Green show in Richmond.

CC

25. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    No one is arguing that you must speed. Merely that VA's penalties for speeding are draconian. So, feel free to do whatever you want. If you're inclined to limit yourself to 5-10pmh over the limit, that's perfectly fine with me. However, I think you'll find that if you are in the left lane, you'll have a line of cars building behind you. So, do everyone a favor and please keep to the right, unless passing. VA, however, is increasingly out of step with other jurisdictions (both legally and practically). Why? What are they so afraid of? Losing their speeding revenue? Just another tax on drivers. Well, what do fine revenues have to do with going to jail?

However, I also think it's time this country re-visited the speed limits, which is another way of looking at this issue. 55mph is an anachronistic, relatively arbitrary number that's a vestige of the embargo of the 1970's. It ignores 40 years of technologic improvements in vehicles (brakes, tires, suspensions, heads-up displays, driver aids, safety devices, etc.) and road building (design and surfaces). Your average modern mid-sized sedan probably has >200bhp and can easily reach speeds far, far above 55mph. Even 65mph.

Studies have even showed that higher limits have produced lower fatalities per miles driven.

Some may be very happy with the way things are, but many aren't. Maybe if enough people demand that VA get with it, it actually will. One could hope. However, I no longer live in VA. I have taken my tax revenues elsewhere.

CW