Jag V12 | Page 30 | FerrariChat

Jag V12

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nickt, Feb 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    We spent the day to day working on the car and got a load done. I fitted a rollbar frame for the windscreen/wind shield, fitted the re-fabbed exhaust headers and just did a tonne of stuff. After 9 hours work I figured i deserved a drive :)
    This car is insane! my confidence is getting bolder and this time we went miles, rounds and round the block..
    My son videoed the drive with his blackberry, its not the best quality - but you should get the idea. The G force is breathtaking!!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDajtS34zmw[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2-fkYuVm5Y[/ame]

2. magic

magic Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2004
    London
    Nick,

Car looks and sounds great !

Stay safe.

Rgds

3. notenuphstuph

notenuphstuph Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2008
    Lossiemouth,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ivor Hewjun
  4. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #729 Nickt, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Today I started making my Lambo hinges. Seriously hard work, not helped my the temp hitting 35 deg C. This was my first attempt. Looked good but wobbled too much. After this I reset the hinges lower and added some bits to keep it more rigid then my welder broke :(

Looked pretty cool and i have to say as the door open stupidly wide better than the original.

My body man has started taking parts away to sort the body out, hence the missing side panels.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    That's it. Both doors done, the 2nd was way easier than the first! However I did have a small mishap with my angle grinder. This disk shattered and the thing jumped out of my hands and got tangled with the collar of my T shirt. I nearly lost my damn head! Good news, angle grinder was Ok and I was able to finish car.

T Shirt was wrecked and trying to wear a collar and tie to work today is "painful" It looks like someone took a swing at my neck with a sword. At least I am getting plenty of sympathy at work :)

Anyway, I am well happy with my doors, They go up about the same amount and lean identically both sides. I need to reposition the gas struts as they don't quite assist enough.

Now I have to figure external door handles, I bought some aftermarket central locking actuators, so I am wondering if i can use these to pull the door locks open. It would be quite cool to touch a button and have the doors gently lift up and open. Getting in the car is a bit of a task, I guess it must be a challenge too on Lambos?

As my neck was bleeding quite badly and very sore yesterday I didnt take any pics of the finished doors, but I will try tonight.

6. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    It lives.....!!! :) Great to see it finaly moving, good work.

A friend of mine almost chopped his hand off recently with an angle grinder... take care. (on the upside, I recon I can beat him a golf for at least a year) :D

7. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    Looking good !!

When I used to work in a garage the owner had cut 2 princess ambassador's in half and used both rear ends to make a testarossa which he created from pictures in a book and it was externally ready on the passenger side before he got to see one in the flesh and realised the door came out over the wing when the door opened rather than inside. So he made it correct on the drivers side, and found him self in a position to buy one so he did, something like 6 month after they came out, in the mean time the Ferrari showroom had been to see the car and told some people in Italy who came and tried to buy the masterpiece from him , but he wouldn't sell it. But they took every measurement and stacks of photos.

Anyway he got the the real thing and used it side by side to copy, but got 99% complete exterior wise when he got a piece of hot metal in his eye from a nasty grinder, which happened on Christmas eve, and he never touched that car again not even to sell it, and still had original wheels in boxes and all sorts of original things. I first worked in this garage 5 years after he stopped working on that car. Helped him move premises, and it sat in the new garage for a further 10 year until he retired and he gave it a employee. He had always thought he would complete it but the incident with the grinder and how it spoilt his christmas, just tuck all the desire out of it, and I suppose owning the real thing too would do this.

Just becareful with the grinder. !

8. ferrariwill

ferrariwill Rookie

Aug 6, 2010
    Hi Nick,

I am sorry to hear about what happend with the angle grinder. I hope you feel better soon.

I wanted to ask you about the machine work on the flywheel. Did you drill the holes and machine the back off so that it is flush?

Or did you leave it raised at the back to give less adpation of the spigot bearing? I.e the more that is taken off the flywheel, the more that needs to be added elsewhere to get the clutch to engage?

Also, How much did you machine off the block to get the XK starter motor to fit? The reason I ask is because I don't want to go too far and go through the block.

I appreciate your advice and time, Will

9. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #734 Nickt, Apr 2, 2011
    Hi Will, Thanks neck is healing nicely!
    The flywheel was off an audi, I can't remember which one though. I remember the back had to be machined to is mated with the crank, and then we just drilled the holes to line up with the boly, 2 holes were larger to accomodate the dowels.
    As for the starter...
    That was a nightmare, I cut (angle ground) the block almost to the crankcase to make it all mate up. I dpont think there is very much meat left. Then I made a flange that the starter bolts to, which in turn bolt to the starter mountings. The big "deaL" was fitting and welding the Audi spiggot to the XK starter, I still think it was a spark of billiance.. (it will break off now :)
    Today I worked on the passenger door, halving itsr thickness, now it looks more door like, i.e. not 14 inches thick! Now its 8 1/2" and much lighter too.

10. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #735 Nickt, Apr 14, 2011
    Hi Guys
    Here's an update on the car..
    I now have perfectly working lambo style doors. They work effortlessly and I have to wonder why more cars don't have them! takes up much less space when you open the doors, looks cool when you drive with the doors open :)

So I have now started making the cabin section. I bought a HUGE block of polystyrene and have started carving it (8 foot x 4 foot x 50cm thick high density foam).
    Last night I finished getting the windscreen to fit the polystyrene cabin perfectly, this has taken 2 days and is seriously hard work, next I have to make the rest of the roof/cabin including the roof air intake.At the moment my car looks some sort of sports car with a refrigerator van stuck on top or a bit like a sporty version of Postman Pats van!

Then I need to make a mould from it..

Here some pics from last weekend and a short video. I will poist some of the car with the cabin next week
    http://youtu.be/w5U2IkBKvAI

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #736 PSk, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
    Have you measured the torsional rigidity of your chassis?

I do not see enough triangulation to make me believe it is stiff. Have a look at a picture of a Countach chassis (which is now old) for comparison, but if you want to go fast you need chassis rigidity. Note modern race cars have massive rollcages for this reason ... not just for safety.
    Pete

12. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Pete
    I copied the design of the Ultima GTR chassis, but I am adding a roll bar to go over the cabin/cockpit section to the engine bulkhead. The car does not flex,as there is a great deal of triangulation through the centre tunnel.

Cheers Nick

13. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #738 Nickt, Apr 21, 2011
    Hi Guys a quick update
    I have spent the last few weeks carving a roof for the car. I bougt a huge block of polystyrene and have now almost finished carving the cockpit section.
    I hav opted for the Cinque roof with the air intake/spoiler. I still have to smooth it all out and finish the window frames, but it is getting there. The neighbours love me with the eps dust blowing around!
    Once this is finished, I need to seal the polysytrene, and will make a fibreglass mould from it, then the roof from that. Its 36 degs C today, so warming up a tad :)

14. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    Gel coat is not the best idea for the body.

If you are on a tight budget, make a few cardboard sections of the body that resemble cat scans, line them up and foam in between and sand. This is shown here

On another note, the recent videos look great! It's fast! It's really nice to see the progress all the way from the beginning.
    http://bit.ly/hW63ef

15. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #740 Nickt, Apr 24, 2011
    That Bentley build is EPIC! It just shows what you can do if you have unlimited resources!
    Anyway, I am happy plodding along with my budget build :eek:

Here is the latest, I now have a fairly good cockpit made, loads more sanding though. Hopefuly it will be ready for fibreglass next weekend.

The screen now fits snugly into the roof, I have left a couple of mm to allow for the screen bonding glue. Getting both side equal is proving a real challenge!

16. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #741 Nickt, May 3, 2011
  17. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Things are starting to come together :) looking forward to the finished car, nice work Nick.

18. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Thanks Steve, getting there, this picture is a week old now but havent taken any recently, but its seriously hard work and not helped by the fact its getting pretty hot now :)

Hopefuly I will start the fibreglass work this/next weekend. The doors are going off to be remade on Friday and hopefuly I will start to get back some of the already finished body parts.

I want to drive it round the f1 circuit :D :eek:

19. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #744 Nickt, May 25, 2011
    Hi Everyone
    Here are the latest pictures of the car.
    The roof mould has now been made, I should be making the final roof over the next few weeks or so. I still have to make the mould for the rear diffuser though. The doors and the side panels are still with my body guy being finished. I hope he gets done soon, its been ages!

in these pictures I just tried on the mould to see what it looks like and to feel what it is like to sit inside the car for the 1st time.. its GREAT!!

20. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Hi Nick

How's things in Bahrain these days? What do you think of the decision to reinstate the GP? Can you say?

21. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #746 Nickt, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
    Hi Francis
    Things are OK, not sure if i will be here then but things are returning to normal. If I am still here I will be going, its by far the best F1 I have ever been to!
    I was worried they might try and stick it in the summer break, but it would be too hot. May was the hottest on record for 100 years! Temperatures peaked at 46 degs C and averaged 36 or there abouts.

In October the weather should be a biut cooler. God willing my contract will be renewed and will go :)

We went out for lunch today and the tanks are gradually disappearing, not sure where they have gone, but they are not as in your face as they were before. Also less of the armored hummers driving round too..
    Kind regards

Nick

22. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #747 Nickt, Jun 12, 2011
    Hi Guys
    Here is the latest on the car. I have now got the doors back from my body man, one is great the other is awful and will require a load more work. This weekend I also test fitted the new roof straight out of the mould. It looks so much better now.
    The rear diffuser is being made by a local fibreglass factory and will hopefuly be ready in 30 days.

Here is a short video of a drive in the desert and a couple of pictures of the car.

http://youtu.be/ElIDaBbvCv0

Cheers

Nick

23. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #748 Nickt, Aug 8, 2011
    Hi Everyone from sunny Bahrain!
    I only have 1 month left here now then shipping everything back to the UK.
    Its been a couple of months since i updated on the kitcar, whih has really started to come along now.
    The car's body is roughly finished, hopefuly next week it is going off to be hand sanded, finished and sprayed. I am thinking of going for black down the middle and either dark blue or white down the side.
    At the present time the car is finished in white gelcoat. I am currently finishing off the rear diffuser section which should be done by tonight.
    I also have a spare set of inlet manifold which I am having modified so the inlet is at the end of the plenum, as opposed the middle of the plenum, this will be more like the real thing and cut out a load of the piping from the turbos.

24. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #749 Nickt, Aug 11, 2011
  25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Is that the actual fibreglass body now?

How are you going to make her "straight" and ripple free? I can see hours and hours and hours of sanding and filling required ... :).
    Pete