It's now 2020, would you still buy a 430 Scuderia? | FerrariChat

It's now 2020, would you still buy a 430 Scuderia?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by hen, Aug 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hen

hen Rookie

Sep 28, 2015
    Hong Kong
    So I've been lucky enough to become the owner of a 2008 F430 with low mileage. I love the car, but as I learn more and more about the car, I'm starting to fall in love with the 430 scuderia for it's track focused mindset, exclusivity and potential of becoming a modern classic.

I've come across a black one with low mileage and excellent condition, the problem is at the price being 3 times that of my F430. With that price, I can afford a 458 italia with money left over, 458 spider or even an F12 berlinetta.
    In Hong Kong if I only get a trade license and drive it on the weekends, the price can nearly pay off for a 488 pista.

I know the 430 scuderia is a great car, but the question is, would you go for it, knowing its a 10 year old car with performance starting to lag behind compared to the newer models? Although in terms of depreciation, I doubt it will go down much further, but at this point in time, depreciation is still a consideration for me. I'm just thinking whether someone will pay the same money say 10 years later.

2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    My humble, biased and imperfect two cents:

- Is the Scuderia a fantastic, rewarding Ferrari to own today and/or in 10 years’ time? A big yes.

- In 10 years’ time, will there be demand for a Scuderia and will prices remain relatively steady? Extremely likely at the very least.

- The Scuderia in your neck of the woods is three times as expensive as an ordinary F430. Is it three times better or faster? No, I don’t think so.

I’d honestly recommend you sit down with a good vintage whiskey and a cigar and evaluate what’s more important to you, as there’s no right or wrong here and you’ve mentioned very different priorities:

If performance is what matters the most, then of the above, I’d clearly say buy a 488 Pista. You’ll love every minute of it.

If depreciation matters the most, I’d say get a Scuderia. It has little room to depreciate further, if at all.

If you’ve never owned a Ferrari twelve cylinder car before, I’d say get an F12. I think every Ferrari enthusiast should own one at least once in his/her lifetime.

If you want to experience the pinnacle of an era that died and won’t come back ever again, I’d say get a 458. Drive one and tell me I’m wrong. An addiction.

I know probably this isn’t what you’re looking for, as I have provided more questions than answers. But if you manage to find out what matters the most to you, you’ll have no regrets regarding your (expensive) purchase. That’s more important than it sounds.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I haven't had a scud or a 16m but may add one down the road - who knows. In regards to the 430 which I did own, I had mine lowered, added, headers and exhaust and a trans and engine tune. I can tell you it made more power than a scud and sounded better. The Scud has many other advantages, the transmission being one but its not so different that it makes the move worth it alone. Of course there are the looks as well. Anyways my car was pretty darn raw with my setup so that is an option as well.

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I didn’t like driving a 430, but loved driving the Scuderia, felt like a completely different car.

Almost bought one earlier this year until I decided to go with a Ford GT.....truly “The One”

lewishou, 020147 and Texas Forever like this.
  5. jgorscak

jgorscak Rookie

Jan 8, 2016
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I just bought an 09 Scud as my first Fcar and took delivery of it literally 3 days ago. It's a pretty impressive car, love the looks, the upshifts are violent under hard accel, def raw interior. I was leaning towards the Speciale for quite some time but opted for the Scud due to its rawness (price mattered to me as well as I didn't know if spending 2x for a Spec was worth it)

Definitely happy with the purchase. I have a MAC 675LT and 2010 GT3RS as well so the Scud added an experience that I didn't have in the stable previously. FWIW If I didn't own any other "fun" cars I probably would have gotten the Speciale.

LightGuy, lewishou, day355 and 2 others like this.
  6. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Everyone's opinion will vary. Best way to tell is to drive both and find out. I personally like the Scud for the rawness of it and how unlikely it is to depreciate.

lewishou and jehu999 like this.
  7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think the 458 is a better car all round. The Scud is less likely to depreciate as much, though. And it's more fun on a perfect road. So, it depends what your criteria are.

ross and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Depends on your definition of better....for me, softer, quieter, more isolated, more stupid tech, more driver "aids" is not my definition of better.

LightGuy, lewishou and Texas Forever like this.
  9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I think Darius was probably alluding to the vastly superior performance, handling and comfort. All in all, it’s hard to argue that the 458 was a huge step forward from Ferrari, even if it’s more refined than the F430 (refinement isn’t always bad). The 355 was also softer, with more technology and aids than a 348, and yet it’s hard to argue that a 355 isn’t a better car than a 348.

A linguering question is this, in my opinion: is it “better” to buy the special edition of the outgoing model, or the standard version of the newer one. In my opinion there’s no right or wrong here, as I myself have no hard stance in this and have gone backwards and forwards on this issue over time.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

slm and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Other than comfort, a 458 and Scuderia are pretty close and I'll wager the Scuderia is more fun to drive in any venue (it was for me).

lewishou likes this.
  11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Wow triple The price !?!?
    Makes US Scuds seem a bargain.
    Hmnnnn.....

IMO the "Special V8 Ferraris" ARE special morso than the faster better pain jane next edition.
    458s and Scuds the same price here.
    How much premium to a 16M ?
    If only <50 % perhaps an option.
    It was the very first Special drop top and only 499 made vs 2400+