Italian Police in Monza Paddock *possible spoiler* | FerrariChat

Italian Police in Monza Paddock *possible spoiler*

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Remy Zero, Sep 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    The espionage scandal continued to worsen for McLaren on Saturday, despite the team locking out the front row of the grid for Ferrari's home race at Monza.

It is understood that Italian police entered the paddock shortly after qualifying with formal notices of criminal investigation for key members of the British team, including team boss Ron Dennis and his deputy Martin Whitmarsh.

This development - that the leading figures in the spying affair could be charged criminally and even jailed - had been rumoured on Friday, with Modena prosecutors believing McLaren team members knew about, used and withheld their knowledge about Ferrari secrets.

McLaren's lawyers advised their client not to comment this weekend, and triple world champion Niki Lauda observed: "I can understand why they are nervous.
    "

Championship leader Lewis Hamilton admitted after qualifying second on Saturday that he is 'concerned' about the steadily worsening saga, and the prospect that the World Motor Sport Council could come down hard on the team next Thursday.

"Unfortunately, whatever happens next week could not only affect the team, but also me and Fernando. Obviously we're all concerned," he said.

2. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    How funny would it be if the Italian police arrested the entire McLaren team right before the race. :D

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Well, McLaren could just not go back to Italy again if the Italian police keep giving them problems. Seems a bit extreme for the police to get involved since all of this only deals within F1 and should only be handled by the FIA and FOM.

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I'm not sure how I feel about this........

I do think it's a bit unrealistic to expect the teams to just keep the issue on the track. If the allegations are true, I think the FIA needs to impose harsh penalties against MB / Mclaren and those personally involved. Possible banning from the sport. But, although this is corp espionage, at this time, I think it best to keep the criminal charges to a minimum.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Why is that ? If true, it is industrial espionnage.

6. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You have to be kidding right? We have already gathered that you are not a Ferrari fan but comments like that only make you look foolish. This is an Industrial espionage case that is going to the courts in Italy and England and your making a comment like that is simply daaaaa.

7. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    Auto racing is like any other business. Industiral espionage is wrong and punishable by law for every business on the planet, why not auto racing too?

8. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    I would love to see RD cuffed being led away from the paddock :D

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes and hence the police. However I'm not too happy about this, simply because the Italian authorities have a history of meddling with F1: There was the trial against Patrese for unvoluntary manslaughter of Ronnie Peterson at the Monza GP and there was a similar case against Frank Williams and Patrick Head for the manslaughter of Senna at Imola.

Neither of those cases should have gone anywhere (and in both cases the accused were acquitted).

I have no problems with the Italian authorities filing charges against McLaren/Dennis etc. but I think there is a time and a place for this and the GP weekend is not the right one.

Unrelated, but another example of Italian bravado "justice" are the cases in which a couple rare Maserati (?) replicas were confiscated and ultimately destroyed. Despite the fact, that at least one vehicle had at least an original engine. Ever since replica owners are reluctant to take their vehicles into Italy. I don't want to see the same thing happen to F1 team owners. Actions like this can backfire and who wants to see Imola and Monza gone from the calendar?

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    +1

Their police force would be better put to use to stop that country from all the pickpocketers and sleezeballs that make tourists not want to go there. Oh, and the smell of Venice. :)

11. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    mac gets 1-2 on the grid , luca rings up the polizia for some mind games to assist the scuderia , cause they'll need a miracle to stop both macs race day.

oh , and i'd take the plane trip to venice over washington any day . ;)

12. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    This is very serious business!

With charges filed and in the Italian Courts, The POLICIA, are now responding to the Court's direction that the authorities will most likely IMPOUND, the whole McLaren Racing Team. By that, I mean the CARS, and all relevant articles and equipment, computers and engineering data. The Courts, will make the decision, whether, Ferrari Data, is in McLaren's F1 Cars. Seems far fetched? I think it's pretty close to happening, if not before the GP, more likely after, especially if McLaren, finishes 1-2!

Ciao...Paolo

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Hey now, I never said I enjoy living here! :) If all goes according to plan, I'll be visiting Japan by the end of the year and I've heard great things about that place (my friend lives there). :)

14. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Wow. I hope Mclaren gets it good. The only bad thing is if they are penalized or disqualified from the championship everyone will say that Ferrari is being favored.

15. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    umm huh ?

16. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    The Italian court system is the same system that just has to prosecute somebody whenever anything at all goes wrong. This is no surprise, remember the Senna trial? This kind of BS is going to make certain that F1 never goes to Italy again.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Woking smells much worse right now. :D

Perhaps the Policia will confiscate the cars from the McCheater team and return them to their righful owners, namely Ferrari ;)

18. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    In addition to Ron Dennis and Martin Whitemarsh, Paddy Lowe was served at Monza. Ron Dennis was served through his italian lawyer. Nigel Stepney was also officially notified of the same charges. Mike Coughlan, Jonathan Neale, and Rod Taylor will be served in England. There are multiple charges for which they must answer including sport fraud, embezzlement and industrial espionage. These are very serious charges and the McL drivers for the present are not under investigation. The italian court system is very different when compared to the US system, and specifically you are presumed guilty when charged until you can prove your innocence...and yes you may expect the italian judges to be slightly biased as Ferrari represents Italy but the process is overall fair.

Asked if its time to resigned, Ron Dennis answered that "I don't think it's the right thing to do".

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    **** -------> fan .

20. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Very good post. I can count on one hand the number of people on this forum who would have the same opinions/attitudes about this situation if the roles were reversed and you are one of them. Everyone else is inventing names like "McCheater" and "Alonshole" and such.

It seems Ferrari is taking every step they can to further their goals. Sure, they feel wronged, but the Italian police are definitely looking at this situation with a bias. The FIA should finish up their investigation first and then let the chips fall where they may.

I also find it amusing that some folks have already tried and convicted McLaren. The FIA did not agree and I think the FIA was right. If new info comes out then let it stand on its own. The hearing has not even taken place and some are calling for McLaren to permanently be booted out of F1.

What a ridiculous attitude on here by most folks. For some, they would dearly LOVE to see a perpetual repeat of Indy 2005 where Ferrari only races a few other cars who don't stand a chance. To me, the man who thinks that way is the same man who like to play tackle football with 10 year olds. If it strokes your ego to win that way, you gotta be a real small man to start with!

If McLaren used the info, ban them from the WDC and WCC for the year. If they did not, then an appropriate punishment has already been doled out.

21. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Scud Mate, The Cops, The Police in Italy. :)

In Italy, depending on the situation, The CARABINIERI, these guys carry Machine Guns and wear Black Uniforms and are an Elite unit. I used to see them at the Airport in Rome, when Security, was stepped up back in the 80's. Very impressive and imposing.

Ciao Mate...Paolo

22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I wonder if this is some local Barney Fife police action or a National one.
    Either way it makes Italy look the fool.
    How about a high speed chase if Mclaren looks to be in the lead at the end of the race ?
    Police hanging out the windows a-la Keystone Cops.

23. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    IMO, the police should stay outta this. let this be done internally.

24. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It is weired but I totally agree with half of what you say and in the same time totally disagree with the other half
    If I remember correctly FIA found McCheaters guilty once already. What caused the outrage, not just from Ferrari by the way, was the lack of punishment. And again and again and again- The main problem is not so much the season but the precedent this whole thing sets, for years to come and for all the teams competing in F1.
    I totally agree with you that no one should want a repeat of Indy 05. I personally think that McCheaters should be disqualified from this season together with their drivers. The only deal made with anyone from the team should be made beyond this years championship. Also I think McCheaters (c'mon man they deserve the name) should be disqualified ONLY from this year's season and maybe get a huge fine or something for nex one.
    I call FA Alonshole and would have done the same even a year ago if I had come up with it. But I never even thought of things like that so when someone invented it, it just sounded soooooooo fitting. At least in my eyes.

25. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Too late. The policia have been called and they want to look like they are doing something in front of the citizenry. It's politics.