Italian media declares: This is war | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Italian media declares: This is war

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Follow the money: from Maranello to Place de la Concorde-Paris. Case close.
    Who would still believe that Ferrari has lost its power at the FIA ?
    As a bargain, the Scuderia has probably accepted not to challenge for a title this year.

DGPF likes this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #27 Bas, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    You do make me laugh with your deranged thoughts.

Why have you not proclaimed the same when a french team was caught cheating actively last year, and admitted to using the system for multiple years?

After all they're french, their engine is french, their whole team i french, the FIA and it's president are French. How much did they pay? Follow the baguettes.

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    You know Bas, acording to some "experts" around here, Britain must be the only honest country in the world ( i supose that's why they are caught cheating every other year), i can reacall Tyrrel, Mclaren, Bar, Berabham, just without having to think much about it, and of course, Germans are honest to..humm, not so, we just need to remenber all the cheating Mercedes did at DTM, (naninni, or pushing the audis out of the track to win the title)...so, Id we join a known cheating team (mercedes) and put it in Bitain (known for having more cheating teams than anyone else) we have an amazing combo!!! Don't folow the money, just folow TOTO, lololo

greg328, Igor Ound, Bas and 2 others like this.
  4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Oddly enough no one ever catches Ferrari, this could be becaus ethey are very good at it, or because they are honest....i personaly think they are both!

5. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    I don't see anyone making those arguments...
    You could add Lotus to that list of course...among other things, the Lotus 72 won some races with very much illegal, telescoping rear wing struts to allow the wing to bend at speed.

But in the modern era, when multi-national manufacturers are so heavily involved and the sums and political power at stake so monumental, there's going to much paranoia and scrutiny - and much more potential fallout. And anything involving the powerunit / fuel flow in particular is going to be hyper sensitive for the FIA and most constructors...even in Nascar (a sport built on and semi-tolerant of some degree of rule bending) hammered MWR/Toyota when they found out they juicing the fuel.

6. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Just off the top of my head, I can recall all the following cheats perpetrated by the said actors of the D-GB “axis-of-evil” ;-) either individually or allied:
    • Brabham fan-car
    • Brabham pneumatic/hydraulic lowering suspension
    • Brabham “brake cooling” water tanks
    • Brabham-BMW BASF fuel of 1983
    • Tyrrell lead pellets in fuel tank
    • Toyota Motorsport GmbH rally Celica turbo inlet
    • McLaren spygate
    • Mercedes secret tire testing
    • Mercedes oil-burning

375+ and polishhammer83 like this.
  7. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    The fan car was not cheat - it was a classic example of a rule exploit. You could argue pro/against as far as it's ultimate legality, but Brabham were never going to get in trouble for building and racing it. They very explicitly met the letter of the law as written.

Same for pneumatic/hydraulic lowering suspension...it was based on incomplete and thus unenforceable rule. The cars met the letter of the rule as written.

The Tyrrell ballast is most definitely a cheat...

and If Ferrari were for instance deliberately misleading/bypassing an FIA fuel sensor, then it does qualifies as cheat imo...
    It would presumably be contravening a specific regulation "Any device, system or procedure the purpose and/or effect of which is to increase the flow
    rate or to store and recycle fuel after the measurement point is prohibited."

DGPF and william like this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Since Britain and Germany together, have the largest footprint in motorsport, it stands to reason they would also probably be the largest culprits of technical infringements, I would say.

DGPF, Adrian Thompson and TonyL like this.
  9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Exactly. “incomplete and thus unenforceable rule” or else FIA would have disqualified the team.

10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    And since Italian teams have the most important role in Motorsport history by far, (Ferrari in f.1 and sports cars, maserati, Alfa Romeo in everything, Lancia and Fiat in rally)..you just name it, it's a wonder that 90% of the cheating lies with british/german teams. In fact, i believe that British and german "suposed superior" engeneering is still very butt hurt from all the years the "lazzy and desorganized" "pasta eaters" have humiliated them.

tonyswfla likes this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Just some stats to correct the misapprehension that Italy has the most important role in motorsport,
    compared to the cheating “Germano-British axis of evil” [I quote]:

Le Mans wins since 1949

Porsche 19, Audi 13, Jaguar 7, Bentley, Mercedes, McLaren, BMW, Mirage, Aston Martin 1 each
    To which we can add the 2 Toyota wins since the cars were prepared in Germany
    Germany + Britain “axis- of -evil”: 47 wins

Italy :Ferrari 9 wins.

World Constructors Championships since 1958

Williams 9, McLaren 8, Lotus 7, Mercedes 6, Red Bull 4, Cooper 2, Brabham 2, Vanwall, BRM, Tyrrell, Benetton and Brawn 1 each
    Germany + Britain “axis- of-evil”: 43 titles

Italy : Ferrari 16 titles

World Rally Championship

Ford UK 4, VW 4, Audi 2, Talbot 1, to which we can add Subaru 3 (prepared by Prodrive UK), Toyota 4 (based in Germany), and Mitsubishi 1 (Ralliart UK)
    Germany + Britain “axis- of-evil”: 19 titles

Lancia 10, Fiat 3
    Italy ; 13 titles

The stats speak for themselves

DGPF, John_K_348 and polishhammer83 like this.
  12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I supose the only german marque with some real pedigree is Porsche, after Ferrari, they are without a doubt the biggest name in motorsport history...although it's true that they only managed to be so dominent at sports cars because Ferrari decided to leave, otherwise, things would be very, very diferent indeed. Britain had some decent ones, jaguar , Aston, Bentley, i always admired those 3...but were are they now? exacly! and former f.1 teams? Lotus, Brm, cooper, Vanwall, Tyrrel..o well. They still have Mclaren and Williams...although Williams is a bit of a mess... As Lauda once said, it was us against them (britsh teams), and in rally it was so funny, When Audi acme up with the quattro, and still they couldn't beat the lancias 037, the guys from audo were convinced the lancia had some sort of 4 wheel drive, they even sent some jounous spread the rumour they had it, an caught guys from audio under the Lancias, trying to figure it out, lololo

Igor Ound likes this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Somebody took the bait, although he is supposed to have me on ignore ...

DGPF likes this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Dead silence from His Williamness

John_K_348 and fil like this.
  15. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

FIA has been lenient with other teams during the hybrid era

Mercedes, illegal tyre testing ?

375+, stavura, classic308 and 2 others like this.
  16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Oh, he's been silenced for me for several months now, my brain just can't thank me enough!

Bas and Igor Ound like this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    "It was indicated last year already that Ferrari were cheating"

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/712129/It_was_indicated_last_year_already_that_Ferrari_were_cheating/

Former F1 driver and RTL pundit Timo Glock has placed question marks at the way the FIA and Ferrari resolved the case of the Italian team having potentially broken the rules in 2019, adding "there were tactics involved" from the FIA by publishing the report so late.

Last Friday, right after Mattia Binotto has finished his media duties at the second test in Barcelona, the FIA revealed their decision to not penalise Ferrari for their fiddling with the power unit in 2019. What the settlement between the parties was exactly, and what exactly Ferrari had done to break the rules, was not published, much to the anger of other teams in F1.

"The fact Ferrari might be cheating was indicated last year already," Glock told RAN.de, referencing to the United States Grand Prix in 2019 when Ferrari got called out by mainly Aston Martin Red Bull Racing and Max Verstappen.

"The other teams demanded investigations into the engine, Ferrari suddenly got slower, Max Verstappen publicly accused the team of cheating and in the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi there were talks about the fuel in Charles Leclerc's car. So, I think the engines were already in motion then."

The fact it took the FIA so long to conclude their investigation and that it came right after testing in Barcelona had finished, wasn't entirely a coincidence, Glock believes.

From the FIA's point of view it's very disappointing the investigation took so long and that it got published so close to the new season and in this manner. Maybe... there are some tactics involved."

DGPF and DF1 like this.
  18. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I'm just glad we have the Portuguese to keep us all honest.

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Dear Elton/mercedes fan, i'm terribly sorry i forgot to put you on ignore, i have no excuse, i'll see to that immediately.

Bas likes this.
  20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

If the 'settlement' were Mercedes and FIA the posting here would be interesting.

This is simple Ferrari were caught and settled. Ferrari and FIA issue. Teams, all teams protest and complain and scheme.

This was known through the year last year. No matter Red Bull or others initiating this.
    I love F1 - first. Ferrari fan as they are my favorite team. I want to see them win with honor and clever engineering/strategy. This they lack. Im disappointed but I do support them. I hope to see a 'fair' sport. Not always perfect F1 is. I accept that. Ask yourself how badly you would want to know the 'settlement' details if the issue was not Ferrari but others.

21. DF1

Thanks for posting something about this from a known driver's perspective. We only know what we see and hear in the press from editors/reporters mostly.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    As have mercedes but you don't seem to care.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I only post articles for information.
    That doesn't mean that they reflect my opinion all the time.

DGPF likes this.
  24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    ah yes, in an attempt to keep the forum alive.

stavura likes this.
  25. DF1

Im not sure why this would be bad. I post and share inputs or data of interest and enjoy F1 discussions. I enjoy this forum and the info members bring. Quite normal no??