"Italian Edition" Mondial Has New Home | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"Italian Edition" Mondial Has New Home

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by cockrill, Jan 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Please write up your experience with Leatherique - how it goes and all. I am not all that happy with the Connolly Brother's products.

2. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I will! So far I took the product out of the box.

3. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I picked up two cans at Fry's today. Do I need to take any special care in order to minimize its contact with the plastic bits around the switches?

Thanks.

4. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Spent some time this weekend swapping the rear lights around. (Their orientation was reversed when I bought the car.) Also removed one of the front bonnet gas struts in order to take to Autozone/Pep Boys/etc. in an attempt to find a suitable replacement. No luck at Autozone...

I Discovered that the passenger front grab handle is broken. I can glue it back together and it would look good, but I can't imagine any of the plastic grab handles being functional, as they appear too fragile.

Spent less time with the car than I expected or wanted, but I loved every minute of it.

5. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    #30 randyleepublic, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
    They have struts at Rock Auto for cheap. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

No, you don't need to worry about your plastic. I've sprayed every single connector I could lay eyes on and not had a bit of damage. That "plastic safe" bit has to do with home and studio audio equipment - that stuff is not used outdoors so the plastic must be "delicate" :D

All I do is wrap a paper towel around the connector I'm spraying in to backstop the spray and catch the stuff that runs out. You do end up wasting a fair bit as it has to be runny to get in all the nooks and crannys. Oh well - sure beats re-wiring your car from scratch!

6. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    You can bring it over to my house, I'll help out, and I don't charge near as much as Norwoods.

7. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff

8. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Thank you for the offer! That is very kind!

My goal at the moment is to get the car to the point where I can get it inspected and registered. I have to fix the horn, blinkers, and tie down the battery. (And fix the fuel leak, of course.) Since the car is a "gray market" vehicle, I want to make sure that I can get it registered before spending too much effort on it. (I don't anticipate any difficulty, as the car has already been registered in Indiana and Florida, but you never know...)

9. djblu

djblu Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    philthy
    Full Name:
    sean-michael
    Congrats on teh purchase. after looking at that car forever on ebay its really nice to follow it here on f-chat! Hey seeing I love blue and the car looks wicked nice how bout some more pics! Keep up the good work.

10. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    Congrats on the Mondial!!! I have an 84 US version.

I found the struts at PepBoys. They are slightly larger than the Ferrari ones, but they close ok. I checked it through the front vents. You'll need some extra washers to accomodate for the thickness. $19.99 each. :)

11. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I saw these, but noticed that they were slightly larger and was worried about the fit. I'll go ahead and pick up a pair tomorrow. Thanks!

12. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Thanks for the congratulations! The sad thing is that, since the car was delivered, I haven't had much time with it. We had several days of extremely (for Texas) cold weather making it uncomfortable to work in the garage, and then I got very busy at work. (Plus two toddlers at home.) I have spent some time with the blue mistress the last few evenings, and am enjoying going through the electrics. (I've swapped the rear lights, reran some wiring, etc.)

I'm getting ready to start on the rust repair (the area just below the fuel filler cap -- as Wade had reported, there is no rust anywhere else on the car), and will take plenty of pictures of my progress.