"Italian Edition" Mondial Coupe -- Again | FerrariChat

"Italian Edition" Mondial Coupe -- Again

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by cockrill, Sep 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Hello:

I am seriously considering purchasing the infamous "Italian Edition" Mondial Coupe. (I say infamous as it has already been discussed here on FerrariChat a couple of times.) Here's the link to the car on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140268109002&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:MOTORS:1123

The car has its warts -- in particular the rust around the fuel cap -- but I'm most concerned about the car passing tough Dallas area emissions testing. Being a European car, will (or should) the vehicle have all of the smog equipment a U.S. destined '84 Mondial have?

Back on the subject of rust... Are there any areas I should have the seller photograph for me? I've already asked for additional photos of the weatherstripping around the front and rear hoods. Door jams?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

--Jeremy

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    does the emissions test in Dallas apply to cars over 20 years old? it may be exempt.

3. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I think it is 25... I'll check again, though. Thanks.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I offered him far market value for the car but he's been insistent on $22K; it ain't worth that. I inspected and drove it a few months ago. Looks great but needs to be brought up to date.

PM me if you'd like more info.

5. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I love the color combination - if the service records are up-to-date, I say buy it.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #6 Wade, Sep 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    It's 25 years before the exemption. One solution is to register the car outside the metroplex high-emission-testing area, but that might be a logistical issue. Any particular reason this Mondial is so attractive to you?

8. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    Tillman:

I've been looking for a 3.2 Coupe (non-red) for some time. (Well, 6 months.) During that time the blue Mondial keeps coming up in all of my searches. I've always been struck with how beautiful it is. Seeing that it can now be bought for $18k (more like $19k with shipping) got me thinking that it wouldn't be such a bad rolling restoration project.

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #9 snj5, Sep 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I like it! Looks like it could make a nice "driver". It does not look to have more than the usual amount of "needs" as many other Mondials. Looks like the bumper alignment is off, and it has a warp like it took a light hit. Also in the front spare tire area, the hood vent is sitting on top of the spare tire! Might need fixing of that... Interior has the usual amount of wear and tear, and only takes money to replace all the yards and yards of leather in there... ;) Probably worth 13k, plus another 2k for the tires/wheels, so $15k tops.

Good luck!