"It Just Needs a Recharge" | FerrariChat

"It Just Needs a Recharge"

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by hank sound, Jun 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    This is the one that gets my attention every time I read it. A car is listed for sale by either a dealer or private party - and in the description, is a line that by design, is supposed to let you know that the A/C is not working but - :) - you really don't need to worry about it .. :) because "It Just Needs a Recharge" !!!! OK. So recharge it and be done with it. No????

So what could possibly be the reason for the seller, not charging the A/C prior to sale, and thereby eliminating the excuse. My guess is that the recharge would have already leaked out if the car doesn't sell immediately. And if it that is the case, the problem could be anywhere in the system. This is generally not an expense that a seller is happy to take on.

Just as vehicle condition, mileage and service intervals/history , are bargaining chips, so too is this issue of A/C. And the seller is letting us know that, right up front.:)

Cheers,

Hank

2. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

by disclosing a minor issue (who cares about A/C in a cab, right?)
    ...he is trying to appear he is "honest" and "up front" about the car,
    and that he is "trustworthy".

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yeah, try driving a Cab with no a/c, in Florida's summer heat and humidity (yesterday it reached 100), with the top up because an afternoon thunderstorm is headed your way.

For that matter, our Summers are becoming too similar to northern winters i.e. no-drive seasons.

4. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    #4 dfranzen, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Even in sunny Socal A/C gives you relief in bumper bumper 405 traffic

by the way Hank some sellers may be just giving up the ghost and just getting rid of the car and don't want to "deal" with anything anymore yes its still a crap shoot.....by the way this way there is no disclosure issue except needs recharge....

5. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #5 hank sound, Jun 28, 2015
    "He" didn't appear that way to me.

If the "he" said to me: we can recharge the A/C, but you must know that it will (only) be good for approximately (so) long. I believe there is a minor leak somewhere". Now that, I would consider "up front".

BTW - - it's mid to high 90s here in Burbank. Top up or top down, the A/C is on. :)

Cheers,

Hank

6. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Just like women, top up or top down is great.

7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #7 hank sound, Jun 28, 2015
    Hi Don,

I'm not referring to any one particular sales offer. It's just that "line" that grabs me every time - because usually it's way more involved. Otherwise, the seller would recharge it and then be able to say: "hey, the A/C works like a charm".

Like Jonathan said, it's about "appearance". Me, I like to call it "smoke & mirrors".

Cheers,

Hank

8. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I feel the same way about mostly "highway miles" when describing a car, especially in a metro area.

Also, "one owner" which typically means the title has not been transferred through the last two or three owners, that didn't drive it "too" much and didn't want to pay the transfer fees.

I bought a used car from a new car dealer and after about three months they hadn't sent me a title. Somehow I found out who traded it to the dealer. I called the last owner and they said we wondered why the dealer never asked for the title. The last owner was nice enough to sign the title over to me. Crazy.

I also bought a Ferrari and had to get the second previous owner, in another state and who I had to contact and explain the situation, to sign the paperwork. The title owner was very understanding and gracious to work with me.

Just part of the adventure.

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    "just needs a recharge" = $2000.00

Approximately :D

10. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    +1 Heat and humidity was off the charts yesterday....could not even enjoy a drive down A1A yesterday.... :(

11. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    The leaks could very well be in the rocker panels through which the hoses travel. I have seen the directions to do all that and it certainly can be done. But the pluming is serious stuff. On the other hand I do not live in a place that actually needs AC.

A complete rebuild might be worth the $. That is if we can confirm the system is powerful when it is working.

12. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Just another gimmick to get away with avoiding costly repairs and fooling the next potential buyer. I see these type of ad's all the time with used daily driver cars. "Won't start, just needs a starter motor"-"has a slight oil leak, just needs a valve cover gasket"-

I guess the same holds true for exotics...

13. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Sort of like a new girlfriend saying, "I've never done that before"?

14. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Wahahahaha !

15. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    David - - that was so on point!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Hank

16. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Fixing the a/c in a Mondial is no simple or inexpensive endeavor.

The compressor is wedged into the engine compartment and a replacement would require the engine to come out. A new compressor costs $2500 - $3500. There's also a multitude of pipes and fittings, some of which cost $500 a piece.

The other component of the a/c system, which is bound to fail, is the electromagnetic valve located behind the dashboard. Yup, the whole dashboard must come off to access it. Valve replacement cost = $600. Also, an original fan motor for the a/c sells for $1000.

None of the aforementioned prices include labor which can run into the thousands $$$$.

So why didn't the seller fix the a/c? Because it may cost half the value of the car to repair.

17. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I bought a Sandin compressor over the internet for $166. I didn't even need to change the pulleys on the new one. Almost all of the Mondial's AC parts are standard GM, I believe.
    Having said the above, I wouldn't buy the excuse of "just needing a charge". After all, if the repair was that easy, why did the seller drive around w/ no AC? I, as w/ most posters here, smell bovine byproduct.