Is this why Ferrari is slow this year? | FerrariChat

Is this why Ferrari is slow this year?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Oct 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/742815/Has_Grosjean_Accidentally_Revealed_Why_Ferrari_Are_Struggling_This_Year/

Has Grosjean Accidentally Revealed Why Ferrari Are Struggling This Year?

An issue which Haas has been struggling with on its car might explain why Ferrari have been so uncompetitive this season.

by James Clifford

The Haas F1 Team’s decision to drop Romain Grosjean has, unsurprisingly, made the Frenchman more open about the shortcomings of the team’s 2020 car.

He recently revealed that a suspension overheating issue has plagued the team all season and made the Haas VF-20 very difficult to drive.

“We’re struggling with the rear suspension overheating, meaning that the platform, the right height, keeps changing at the rear. From one lap to the other we can pick up to 4 percent of aero balance,” Grosjean said after being knocked out of Q1 at the Portuguese Grand Prix.

“When it gets hot at the end of third practice you get the ride height and then it cools down – and then you start qualifying with a different one and every lap the rear suspension heats up and the rear ride height changes,” he added.

“Normally we’re struggling a little bit but this weekend the magnitude is quite bigger and we’ve got no idea why.”

Continuing, the Frenchman said: “We’ve had the issue all year long but this weekend it has been, for some reason, really exaggerated. So we’re struggling with that. The car is never the same from one lap to the others. We’re not very confident for tomorrow and how it’s going to end.”

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner confirmed that they have been struggling with this issue and said they are looking to address it over the rest of the season.

Aside from this issue hurting Haas’ chances of having a good 2020 campaign, it may also explain why the Ferrari SF1000 has been so uncompetitive – and why Sebastian Vettel in particular has been struggling this year.

Haas has a broad technical partnership with Ferrari and the American racing outfit uses the same rear suspension as that on the SF1000, so the Maranello-based team may also be struggling with the same suspension overheating issue.

And, as Sebastian Vettel is known to much prefer a car with a very stable and predictable rear end, this could explain why the four-time World Champion has been off the pace relative to team-mate Charles Leclerc this season.

2. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I know that I'm not happy when my rear end is unpredictable.

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Suspension overheating? What does that exactly mean?

tomc likes this.
  4. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    #4 sammysaber, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    This was already mentioned by @jgonzalesm6 in the Imola thread.

@DeSoto sorry posted without seeing your question.

Best,
    Sammy

Jeronimo GTO and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The rear shock absorbers affected by engine heat perhaps?
    Or do they have hydraulic suspension?

6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    AMuS

The Ferrari engine radiates so much heat that the hydraulic accumulator in the rear heats up too much. This has an influence on the vehicle height, because the US Ferrari operates on the rear axle with a hydraulic chassis. "If the car goes up or down at the back, the diffuser no longer works as it should. Then the entire aerodynamics are no longer right," Steiner cursed.

Ferrari also had this problem at the start of the season. No wonder, because the rear of the two cars is almost identical. The factory racing team got rid of the problem relatively quickly. Haas has a harder time.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/haas-problem-f1-ferrari-motor-heizt-hydraulikspeicher-auf/&prev=search&pto=aue

DeSoto and sammysaber like this.
  7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think there's also massive engine deficit.

8. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I'm assuming that the heat from the engine is causing the shock absorver fluid to expand, or even some metallic parts might expand also.

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It is about 30 HP (3%) down from Mercedes.

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Did they think about routing the hydraulics away from the exhaust gasses (and turbo) ?
    Did they think about putting some cooling air-flow in there?

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, it could be an overheating problem that's not easy to solve unless you repackage all the elements.

12. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Thats crazy. They said Ferrari cheated last year with some fuel flow thing. Perhaps they are right,

13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Camilleri: "Does it cost a Ferrari? It would be a simplistic idea"

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The CEO of Ferrari in an interview with the Gazzetta dello Sport puts some firm points on the future of Ferrari and closes the doors to a return to Maranello by Aldo Costa, former Mercedes designer now in Dallara. Louis renews his trust in the group led by Mattia Binotto. The Honda retirement will not damage F1. Louis invokes new innovative rules on power units and rejects the idea of freezing engines.
    On the eve of the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, the CEO of Ferrari, Louis Camilleri, gave an interview to the Gazzetta dello Sport, taking stock of the situation of the Scuderia and the moment that Formula 1 is experiencing.

In a season lacking in results, Camilleri started from a success achieved by the Cavallino, even if far from the track: the new Concordia agreement.

"The key point is to have ensured the long-term future and economic sustainability for the Formula 1 participants. It is important to underline that all the parties involved have reached an agreement because we all have the same interest at heart: to make Formula 1 more and more. attractive, spectacular and economically sustainable, while maintaining its status as the most important and technologically advanced car competition in the world. As Ferrari, we are also pleased that the Concorde Agreement recognizes our role in this sport: past, present and future ”.

The real enemy for Ferrari? The weather
    “Mercedes is a formidable rival: chapeau for their well-deserved results. Anything else I add would sound like a litany of excuses. We are obviously not happy with where we are now, but I am firmly convinced that we have all the necessary ingredients to go back to where we belong. Unfortunately, it won't happen immediately: in F1 it takes time to buy time. Time is the real enemy we fight against, night and day ”.

“Why is Mercedes always in front? They started the hybrid era with a distinct competitive edge and kept it. They have the talent and the resources but for me the fundamental elements of their success, which unfortunately we have lacked so far, are the stability and serenity they enjoyed, which strengthen the team spirit and creativity. To obtain the results they have achieved, it takes more than technology: ultimately, the culture that permeates the entire organization, from the bottom to the top, is fundamental ”.

"I hope and expect (in 2021) that we will see progress and that we will establish the foundations for a new era, coinciding with the arrival of a significant regulatory change like the one we will have in 2022".

Trust the men of the Scuderia
    Camilleri ruled out the possibility of seeing a technician of absolute value like Aldo Costa arrive in Maranello.
    “Without detracting from Aldo's talent, I think it is a somewhat simplistic idea and that it would not produce a step forward enough to change things. The copy never works like the original, especially in the case of objects as complex and integrated as the F1 cars. We need courage, determination and creativity to be better than our rivals and I have full confidence in the men and women of the Scuderia ”.

“Diagnosis is the key to effective treatment. We are aware of what we need to improve. We have the talent and the structure and we are investing in the tools and resources necessary to win again. Responsibility and skills now have an equal weight in the team and I am very satisfied with the work done by Mattia Binotto and his first levels in creating a true team spirit, a constructive and transparent culture and a high standard of motivation and commitment within the Stable".

No freezing of PUs
    Camilleri does not believe in the avalanche effect, or the possibility that the departure of Honda could impoverish Formula 1 with other retirements.
    “I don't think that will happen, rather the need to define the main characteristics of the power unit of the future will accelerate. We, and by this I mean the FIA, Liberty Media and the engine manufacturers, must appropriately balance their respective objectives, sometimes conflicting with each other in terms of innovation, environmental sustainability and cost ".

"The latter factor has too often been ignored, creating a danger for everyone. We also need to make the supply and development of an engine an economically attractive business."

“We are firmly against the freezing of the power units as it is against the spirit of F1. I think it's important to underline that the current rules already foresee a freeze in 2023. That said, F1 has ambitious goals in terms of sustainability. The regulation provides for the introduction of a fuel with a 10% ethanol content as early as 2022 but the FIA wants to reach 100% as soon as possible, ideally the following year, which inevitably involves the development of some engine components. . It is a very complicated subject, which we are actively talking about with all the parties involved ”.

Farewell to Vettel? Just inform him
    “Seb is having a very difficult season. I'm not so sure it totally depends on lack of motivation, rather I think he lacks confidence in the car's behavior and is struggling to extract its full potential, as Charles manages to do. "

"We owe a lot to Seb and what he has been able to do for us in recent years. We were correct in informing him of our decision once we have made it, in order to give him time to consider other opportunities for his future. He is an experienced professional, gifted with great talent: I can only hope that he will be able to show us examples of his skill in the next races. In any case, he will always remain part of the Ferrari family. "

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-camilleri-costa-in-ferrari-sarebbe-unidea-semplicistica/4901099/&prev=search&pto=aue