Is this my ultimate Mondial Cabrio? | FerrariChat

Is this my ultimate Mondial Cabrio?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by robbio99, Sep 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Looks nice, whats your budget

2. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
  3. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    There are a lot of ferraris out there for 70k, is it a Mondial you are specifically after i.e. 2+2 seats

4. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    I noticed that it's a "rear" find and not a "rare" find.
    Spelling man, come on - please proof read these things.
    Sorry for venting.
    Ron

5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Is that a Valeo trans? If so i'd pass...

6. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    I have seen if for sale for over a year with the same pics. It looks great on high res pics on ebay about 8 months ago. JJ

7. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    And one with a Valeo. Can you talk me out of the Valeo?

8. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    What he said...bears repeating.

Fyrrari

9. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    A "perfect" Mondial, when you go to sell it, isn't going to be black over grey... I hate how a dealer has the audacity to put "never been in rain" in an advertisement - how in the **** does HE know!? :rolleyes: Anything for a sale, I guess.

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    c'mon, at least it is "ALL OREGINAL"

11. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
  12. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    !!REAR FIND!!1993 FERRARI MONDIAL T CONVERTIBLE BLACK/SPECIAL GREY LEATHER 14000.00 MILES ONLY 13 TO 15 PRUDUCTION LAST YEAR ON FERRARI MONDIAL ALL BOOKS AND SERVICE FROM FIRST DAY DELIVERY ALL KEYS TOOLS NEVER BEEN RAIN THE BELT SERVICE DOWN ON 9200 MILES ONE OF THE BEST EXAMPLE SOLD NEW ($10500.00) ALL OREGINAL FACTORY NO AFTER MARKET PARTS CALL FOR MORE INFORMATION FOR ONLY $53500.00

REAR FIND-14000.00 MILES-PRUDUCTION-BELT SERVICE DOWN-ALL OREGINAL ... Wat Moor cane bee sade?

Wow, I must admit I make mistakes, but if I were marketing a 53K dollar car I think I would try to make an effort to be professional! In this case my 9 year old daughter spells better than that. This kind of ad would send me running the other way, because if the person posting it was able to overlook errors in the ad, then what would he/she be willing to overlook on the car? It looks nice from the 3 pictures that load up, but they are small, and I almost think there is something going on with the interior-the passenger side dash -around the non-existent glove box, looks quite different than mine (which is stock). Perhaps they made a change in 1993?

While the belt service was done at 9,200 miles, how about the more important factor of WHEN was it done? That car is now 13-14 years old. I know my car has already had one done and it doesn't even have 4k miles on it yet. I think time is more of an consideration than mileage....

On a positive note the car does look nice...then again most of them do in a "pikchure".

Fyrrari!

13. dfrace

dfrace Karting

May 6, 2006
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Actually, the ad stated "all keys tools never been rain". So if he meant the keys or tools had never been *in* the rain, thats someone more believable. Maybe he literally meant, the keys or tools have never been rain, as in liquid falling from the sky. In that case I dare say its a pretty safe, albeit useless, remark.

14. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118551&highlight=valeo

Read post 35 on that thread. Only 30 or so made so getting parts to fix it could be a pain, finding someone to fix it....good luck!

If you buy a Valeo expect lower resale down the road. Especially if by that time there are common documented problems. Right now they kinda newish still.

15. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    i've seen this car for sale a long time ago. could have an issue or simply waiting for the right owner to come along. :D

john

16. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Excellent point - it's safe to say, with a good degree of certainty, that you are correct!

17. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You would think that a sales organization would send out a perfect pitch for a perfect car. I read the illiteracy as having never "seen" rain. The Valeo is a risk. I have never encountered a story of failure yet. If an equivalent car in red and tan showed up it would get the nod but black and special grey is okay for a car to be kept as a daily.

18. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's an AUTOMATIC though.

19. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You just need not use the clutch.

20. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Not sure if it matters, but that car has been for sale for at least 3 years. I remember seeing it during my search (needed a Mondial without the shelf on the dash)

21. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Other than the color and the Valeo clutch is there anything else to scare away a buyer?

22. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    "It's an AUTOMATIC though."

"You just need not use the clutch."

Because it is not there!!

In my book that makes it basically an automatic! :) I know that sounds a little harsh, but it is like being a "little pregnant" don't you think? I have heard they work great, but I guess it is just not my personal cup of tea. I would consider, repairs, parts, resale, control and then come to the conclusion...well I think I want a 5 speed with a clutch. But that is just how my mind works. One of the greatest experiences of owning a Ferrari is putting it through the gears, hearing that engine make such beautiful music. The gated shifter and the feel of the torque as you let out the clutch and run through those gears...yeah, kind of makes me want to go jump in it right now.

However...
    Robbio, if this is going to be a daily driver for you, the valeo might be what you want.

I would just be cautious as having the valeo might limit your resale as DaveM stated. And while you may be willing to compromise-others down the road may not.

The color is nice, and I do like the Mondi's in black, as long as other people own them! I cannot imagine how much work it would be to keep it looking good-especially as a daily driver and especially with all of those flat surfaces. Ouch!

23. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    "Is the dash non standard on this Mondial?"

I actually believe it is.

I was told recently that the lower "shelf" was added to the later Mondials, and perhaps some other Ferrari's. It is standard; I just don't personally know when it started. From what I was told it was a required safety feature to keep drivers and passengers from "submarining" underneath the dash in the case of a collision. I think it came about sometime after 1989. Perhaps someone on this site will know exactly what year Ferrari began adding that to the lower part of the dash.

I personally would have preferred air bags...but they don't save your legs either. 5 years ago almost to the day, I was hit head on (55 mph) in a crossover head on collision. Airbags deployed-saved my life, but I ended up breaking both of my legs. That really sucked! (Thank goodness for good doctors, life flight, trauma surgeons, and titanium rods/screws).

I guess they can put humpty dumpty back together again!

Here it is 5 years later and aside from a little difficulty getting through an airport metal detector, I am back 100 percent.

Sorry to digress.

24. roofguy

roofguy Karting

Dec 10, 2003
    Alamo, CA
    David,

I have seen the dash pads on 1990 models as well as the 1991s like yours.

I wonder if they were an option or if some people didn't like them and had them removed?

Anyway, I need the name of the Detail Guy you were talking about on Sunday.

Thanks.