is there anything exciting that is still a bargain ? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

is there anything exciting that is still a bargain ?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by henryr, Jun 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    But those don't have hidden headlights.

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yeah, my car has some mileage (77k), but has great mods and lots of newer stuff. The car is more than decent, its been a great car for 8 years. The best trade-in number I've gotten is $27k, so sub-$30k cars are out there.

3. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #78 4re Nut, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    Another vote for the NSX.

Simply can't beat the combination of mid-engine, consistent design, drive-ability, reliability, safety, good performance that can be easily pushed way up, etc.

A greater starter (semi) exotic for someone like myself with no skills or real desire to turn wrenches.

+1. I'm starting to think an Alfa Spider will be my first foray into an Italian weekender...but my aforementioned lack of DIYer skills/desire might make that worrisome...TBD!

Cool ride! I'm a Z fan all the way back to the Datsun days. The Nismo is a bit too new for this list I think; need to let the depreciation curve run its course first. Now a 240/260Z...a yesteryear NSX! :D

I would if I could. :eek:

4. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
  5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Great cars, I've owned a few of them. Sold one not too long ago, kind of wish I had it back.

6. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  7. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I think you would do substantially better selling it yourself. :)

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Now I can't get the guy that offerred $27k to even call me back....figures, now that I've found a car I wanted to buy.

I had it up for sale for a week this Spring and the tire kicker low ballers drove me crazy....Oh, so you're offering $15k AND you want me to finance you....um let me think about it.

9. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    "is there anything exciting that is still a bargain?"

Well, it depends on what's important to you.
    What do you like most about your current ride?
    Looks, handling, sound?
    Break it down; if it's sound, Matra V12 or Chev BB?

There's lot of interesting stuff out there.
    Jag XK coupe, AudiTT, Elise, TVR Chimera; all < $30, all interesting.

I could think of 100 cars that would fit your criteria (which is probably why I own 6!)

10. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I'm 6'2" and I fit fine.

Getting in and out, however, is a different matter.

I literally can't drive either car when I have bouts of back pain because I won't be able to get out of the car.

11. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Man you guys are lucky, all these cars mentioned in this thread are 50-150k here...

12. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    They are a bargain-putting mine away for the season tomorrow. If I lived in a warmer climate I'd figure out a way to daily drive it

13. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Speaking of seasons and daily drivers and especially bang for the buck--has anybody driven a BMW 1 series in the snow?

There is one on here that will move for very low $20s-they weigh about 3500 lbs-anybody done it?

14. Zahiba

Zahiba Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Victoria, Canada
    Full Name:
    Malcolm
    Not sure if anyone's said this or not yet, or even if it fits the criteria, but I had to mention the Scion/Toyota/Subaru FR-S/GT-86/BR-Z.

15. spEYEdr

spEYEdr Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2007
    LA - City of Angels
    E46 M3 with 3 pedals. Bought new 10 yrs ago and it is still rock solid.

A brilliant car. I enjoy driving it more than my 360 spider (also 3 pedals)...

16. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Maserati CC Coupe.

17. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I was after a bargain dd that would be fun to drive but not suck fuel or be a chore to drive (or break the bank)....

I picked up an '86 944 Turbo (951), modified with modern fi parts, much larger Turbo and some suspension mods. For $3500. Lots of fun when it only makes 5lbs of boost until it hits 3k rpm and then rockets up to 20psi. All that '80's Turbo lag fun but with modern enough fi to keep it from blowing itself up and in a car that handles and stops, well, like a Porsche. They can be had for under $10k all day and upgraded for around $2k to the rogue setup, which replaces the afm with a modern MAF, adds a MAP sensor and programs the ecu to use them along with overboost protection. I'm not really a Porsche guy, but this thing is fun.

18. 6' 3" here and I fit in my Elise and Exige fine too.. There's actually a decent amount of headroom, and if all else fails and you don't fit, just take the roof off...

19. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    fiat 500 abarth....so many 2013s left over they're going for well under 20k in some cases haah

20. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    My first thought when I read the thread title. Crude chassis, lots of presence, good horsepower, engine will last forever with low maintenance, no ABS or traction control.

Exciting might not be the word, scary (early ones) might be better...

21. ALPINE6SPD

ALPINE6SPD Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2006
    NJ
    Yes early lotus Elise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Brand new Jeep Wrangler. :D

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If you are looking for classic to appreciate then for under 30k its pretty much Alfas as the british stuff is flat or climbs really slowly, whereas older lafas are hot and the ones from the late 50's can easily top 100k whereas they were 35k cars nott oo long ago, which means the enxt in line move up.

Not alll Alfas are created equal. In a spider you need a pre 74. But the real money ticket is if you can get a great GTV stepnose.

For driving and having fun its elise all the way, and as there were maybe 2500 sold in the USA and no more comming in a good one will certainly hold its value and in the the long term be a car considdered THE classiic just as Giulettas are today. An elsie embodies evryhting that made the old britsh and itaian stuff so appealing, great lines light lithe small and charismatic. Its minimalist in a way that we have not otherwise seen in decades, but the formula is updated for the 21st century so its mid engined handles like no other car (excpet maybe an R5 turbo 2, ) and being a modern is stone cold relaible with a yamaha built toyota badged motor of more than 100hp per liter.

Those advocating for the E46 M3 know of which they speak. The E36 was a better more lively chassis but here int he USA came with a regular motor. The E46 was the last of the classic hi rev NA inline 6s. Breadvan M coupes witht he 321 hp motor may go down well too.

Going out on a limb, trans ams from the 70's particularily early 70's are a great buy, once again you need to find a good unmoletsted one to have any possibility of appreciation.

And yeah once the current wrangler goes out of production it will be a classic.

24. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    what makes you say the current wrangler will be a classic? I've got one that I love, but i'm PILING miles on it. Tons of fun in the snow and fun in the sun without the ***** factor that comes with more expensive cars - gets driven a lot haha.

25. ALPINE6SPD

ALPINE6SPD Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2006
    NJ
    Dbw CR S2000 doesn't redline at 9k the original S2000 with 2 liter did. The CR has the 2.2 and redline is 8k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk