is there anything exciting that is still a bargain ? | FerrariChat

is there anything exciting that is still a bargain ?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by henryr, Jun 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    930, 993 turbos......
    e30 m3's
    long hood 911's
    bmw cs
    190sl, 280 se
    fort gts

i'm amazed what 4-5 years have done to prices...... thank ben ( i guess)

what's left that can be bought <= $30k that can be fun and a tinker toy ?

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Lots and lots. Start looking around more at other makes. They may not have the name, but they are fun just the same..

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #3 Texas Forever, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    Have you checked out the new Subaru/Scion ricky racers? Very interesting cars. Too bad there are only 200 ponies, but that can be fixed.

Dale

4. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think there are still bargains out there, but I'd ask: what do you think makes a car "exciting"?

Are you looking for big HP straight line speed?

Or lower power that you can drive the proverbial 8/10 on regular roads?

Unusual? Interesting? And how much "tinkering"? Are we talking bolt-on speed, or I want to take this car apart and put it back together again?

5. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick Karting

Nov 29, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Dale W
    Focus ST. Ridiculously fun...

6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    bargains... such as ? thinking more collector level

i'm pretty open. thought my list was pretty eclectic.

mainly looking for fun to drive and appreciation.

dale - the new cars are still heading down the depreciation curve..

although as i am typing.... 550, gated 575.....

hmmm

7. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    corvette z06

8. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    I'm not sure how a Ford GT is necessarily a bargain.

9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    #9 henryr, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    my list was just makes that i follow and examples of that have appreciated significantly (IMHO) the past couple years.

if my original post was not clear.

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Deal of the decade. For $70k, you should be able to get a really good un. The car is more fun than the law allows.

Dale

11. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Lotus Elise

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yup, if you fit.

Dale

13. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Mercedes pre 1971... 280SE, 300SEL 6.3, 280SL, 3.5, 190SL, etc. All low production and hand built. Restorable to concours condition. Parts are all available... easy to own and drive.

14. A Pantera would be my #1 pick, but I might be a little biased :). Prices are moving upwards on them, but there is still time. Maybe consider a 2002 BMW, 914, Opel GT, Early Lotus Esprit, XKE (like the Pantera it will be in a project condition for under 30k), and a nice air cooled 911 any year.

15. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Porsche 964 Carrera 2/4. Get one before they go up (it's becoming one of those cars that were not appreciated at first but now people are opening their eyes for them).
    I'm getting a C2.

16. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    yes there are

17. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    355, 550, testarossa for Ferraris.

Lambo Jalpas are pretty cheap and look/sound wicked. Diablo VT's are quite a deal right now. Lotus Esprit V8's are also really cheap for what you get. Those all have supercar performance and are pretty much at the edge of what is usable on public roads, except maybe the Jalpa.

I don't think any of those will depreciate further, but whether they appreciate is always somewhat of a gamble and no reason to buy a car that you plan to drive. I think the best value in terms of what you get for your buck is probably the Lotus, but if you're buying for the appreciation factor, maybe the Diablo VT has the best potential due to small numbers and being a v12 lambo.

If you want a daily driver, an e46 m3 or e39 m5 are unbelievable bang for the buck right now, but I don't see any appreciation anytime soon. You can get one for (significantly) less than a new Corolla which boggles the mind.

18. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Door stop Lotus Turbo Esprits.

19. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Good call David. I would also consider, as I am, the E36 M3.

20. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    308 GT4's are still a bargain.

21. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    You will never touch a decent Pantera for under $30k unless you break the number 1 rule of car purchasing which is to buy the car someone else has restored, in which case your $25K Pantera will become a $50K Pantera. An E-Type will be even worse POS under $30K

22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Can these converted to Euro specs easily ?
    The US version was neutered.

23. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I must have missed the <= 30k thing. There's not much out there for that that will appreciate significantly imo unless you're talking a really really long play - see the e46 m3 or e39 m5.

There was a nice esprit s4 for $25k with salvage title for sale on here a while back that would have been killer. Maybe you can find a 308 that's decent for under 30k, but that'd be a stretch. There was a pretty nice 400i GT (5 speed) for just over $30k a while back that I think would be a safe bet. I like the Porsche 914's, but it's getting tough to find one that doesn't need a ton of work (rust). There are a ton of interesting muscle cars under 30k, but that ship has sailed appreciation wise with a few exceptions. You can get a late '70's trans am under 30k and if you make sure you get one with a pontiac motor and 4 speed, it's a good bet but don't waste your time with an automatic or one with a non-pontiac motor if you want it to appreciate. The '79 400/4 speed cars with the performance and handling package were the last really good ones. I had a '78 that I sold around a year ago and regret it.

If you can go <= 50k, your options open up quite a bit.

24. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The whole motor is different. The hot ticket would be an e46 m3 engine transplant with an smgII to replicate the euro m3 that was available with the smgI, but that won't be cheap or offer significant appreciation. The e46 might appreciate in 15 years and it's dirt cheap right now for what you get as it's not neutered like the US e36 m3.

25. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Not by much though, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M3

I'm sure they can be converted but that would negate the car from being a bargain. Personaly I would rather turbocharge the stock engine and surpass the Euro spec by many hp instead of spending just as much money on bolt-on parts and barely meeting or exceeding the Euro spec.
    Here is a thread link from the "BimmerForums": Converting a US-spec M3 motor to Euro-spec?

As you all know by now I am all over the place with cars wanted but the E36 M3 will be in my price range once I am employed again and I have always wanted one, I want the 4-door version. A good PPI should be all that is needed in finding a fun and reliable model. I am trying to locate one that I can test drive first.

If you have some time and patience David I think we could help each other out a lot with our personal reviews and info gained through various sources concerning the E36 M3.

Gregg