Is there a bushing missing in this steering rack? | FerrariChat

Is there a bushing missing in this steering rack?

Discussion in '308/328' started by CliffBeer, Jul 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #1 CliffBeer, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm working with a friend of mine on his 3.2 mondial steering rack. This is the same TRW rack that is in 328's. We removed the rack a few days ago and now checking it out on the bench. There was some play in the steering which didn't appear to be from worn ball joints or the rubber rack mounts.

It's a TRW rack, part number 37502213/219 with an additional number 15518 7016 on it.

The pinion gear and rack teeth look very good - no perceptible wear on either. Everything about the rack looks good...except there doesn't appear to be any kind of bushing on the end of the rack housing (see arrow in pic). The absence of a bushing here appears to allow some play in the rack as the rack rod moves about (against the spring loaded tensioner....) and "rides up" as the pinion gear is turned.

Is there supposed to be a bushing? The Parts Manual doesn't show an exploded diagram of the rack internals unfortunately.

I've worked on a few similar racks in the past and all have had a seal or bushing here...the purpose of which is to both help retain the grease inside the housing and support the rack rod as the pinion gear is turned. It seems strange there is no bushing here. I've made silicon bronze bushings before on my lathe to replace worn/broken plastic ones for this same type of application....and that has worked well....thinking about doing the same here, I'd just like to know if there was originally a bushing of some sort in this location.

Thanks in advance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    No one has any info? I'm rebuilding my 328 steering rack next week ....

3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I just rebuilt my 308 rack. Only one bushing on the passengers side.

4. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Thanks Wayne, but the 308 rack is not the same, I believe.

5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    No the 308 is not a TRW. Well not in mine.

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #6 Martin308GTB, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    No bushing on the driver's side. Basically the same technical design like the old 308 racks, which came from the british manufacturer CamGear. ( I believe the only assembly on the whole car with inch-threaded bolts )
    On this side the pinion gear mechanism and spring loaded tensioner supports the rack sufficiently.
    And the rack is moving sideways while self-adjusting play with the help of the spring. A bushing would compromise the possibility for this kind of adjustment.

BTW; this is the reason why the bushing on the passenger side should not be TOO tight ( if self manufactured ), because the rack and the housing are never perfectly parallel, due to the amount of adjustment at the pinion gear, but have a slight angular offset. If the bushing is too tight, it might work smooth, but after assembly the rack will bind.

Best Regards

Martin

7. RGigante

RGigante F1 Rookie
    Owner Project Master

Nov 1, 2006
    Portugal
    Any suggested source for bushings and seals?

8. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    TRW bought Cam Gears so the racks are likely very similar if not identical.

You can get the bronze olite bushing here: S Products

There is also some info. in another thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/403787-worn-steering-rack-bushing-308-a.html that may be helpful.

I rebuilt my rack last spring using the bronze bushing. I followed this procedure from our Pantera friends (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.panteraplace.com%2Fpage203.htm&ei=B1feVMu1MYKRyQS5iIHYBA&usg=AFQjCNHc17QJgc4e5i71lIntaRrMylnszQ&sig2=AdGxRMtimyZLum5GjMJy6g)