Is the Lusso really 4 wheel drive? | FerrariChat

Is the Lusso really 4 wheel drive?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by 575joe, Dec 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Have had my Lusso now for about 4 months - 4,000kms.
    I understand that the front wheels only ever carry a maximum of 20% of the torque.
    However, even after switching tires to wider, stickier snow tires, I find that the traction on this car is no better than, (in fact probably worse than) my 812 (notwithstanding that the Lusso has 100 less hp, and is heavier).
    I find that the rear tires spin pretty readily on take-off, and in 2nd gear acceleration. It seems to hunt for traction more on uneven roads that I would expect from a 4 wheel drive car.
    I have never felt or heard anything from the front tires that suggest they are carrying any of the torque - with one exception.
    When going around a medium radius ramp, I notice an undesirable "nibbling" action from the steering as though the front differential is locking/unlocking while modulating power between the front wheels (not in a good way, more of an irritation).
    Have any of you noticed similar behavior, or should I assume that I have some sort of malfunction in the front wheel drive system?
    (PS: It has been checked by the dealer on two occasions and they claim everything is working as it should be).
    I always drive in Sport mode.
    Thanks.

2. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    I wondered the same thing. I am about to try different snow tires.

3. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Do you have v12 or v8t?

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    very odd. FF with pirelli sottozero has been a tank in the snow for many winters since 2012

5. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Wikipedia the 4rm system. It only functions in comfort or snow/wet mode. If u manually shift above 4th gear as well, all power is back to the rears only.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    In the ff even in normal (comfort) the car is great in the snow with the right tires. I pretty sure the awd works in comfort on the ff also. did they change this on the lusso to functioning only in wet/snow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    As far as I know it is not a real 4 wheel drives . It is essentially a rear traction car . In front of the engine there is another output where it is connected a fixed ratio gearbox and just in case ( in case of a slip) two clutches are connecting to two front axles . Then it is not a real 4 wheel drive where you have always traction on four wheels .

8. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    If you are sloshing around in auto mode and the gear box is putting you in 5-7th gears where the system is no longer engaged, I can see this being a problem when you are creeping around at 30mph in 7th gear and go to the gas pedal. I only ever remember using manual paddle shifting and making sure if I wanted 5th gear, that I really wanted 5th. It has been a couple of years though. From what I remember, it was great in snow with snow tires. There was a great top gear moment where the Stig went off the snow track and Jeremy laughed at him and asked if he went to 5th.

9. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
  10. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    The Lusso works great in snow, in snow mode (and with winters). The four wheel drive system gives great traction and works pretty seamlessly. In the higher modes and on tarmac it is a little less satisfactory but then it is designed as a rwd first and foremost. In comfort mode you can feel the fronts come in and it is not like a Subaru for instance. But as a V12 rwd GT that handles all weather conditions it is pretty amazing, like nothing else out there. By the way, even full-time 4wd doesn’t always run all the wheels simultaneously, unless you have rear and centre diff locks. And if you switch them on the car would be undrivable unless on a loose surface.

The Ferrari 4RM system is a very clever and unique piece of engineering that gives the best of both worlds; four wheel drive and rear wheel drive response with low centre of gravity. Whether it is over complicated is a matter of opinion and I can understand if some feel that.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. 575joe

575joe Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    V12.

12. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In Snow mode the car works well (talking about my FF) with Sottozero Winter Tyres, but Sport Mode you don't really have much traction at the front....

Caeruleus11 and Elisesko like this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Something is not right with your car if this is happening. I have wonderful traction with my car on winter tires whereas I can spin my 812 tires at will. Even in sport mode I get good traction. In general on dry roads covered in debris/ dried road salts and chemicals, I drive in Comfort- unless I want to slide the car around more, and then its Sport. But if its wet out, I use Wet, and if its really snow, I use Snow. These modes are very well calibrated.

In gears 1-4 you should not be experiencing excessive wheelspin.