348 - Is the LHS MAF a Master? | FerrariChat

348 Is the LHS MAF a Master?

Discussion in '348/355' started by 348Jeff, Apr 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Car is sounding like a tractor at the moment, poor idling and drives like it's towing an anchor.

One of my MAFs was ruined after water got into it so I replaced it with a 2nd hand genuine Bosch item which improved matters. Car is still far from right though.

Curious thing is today whilst testing when I unplug the RHS MAF it makes absolutely no difference to the running of the car (this is the side I replaced). However, if I unplug the LHS MAF the car stops immediately (see video below). Could it be the LHS one is good and thats the final straw when that on is unplugged because teh RHS is no good?

I'm going to try swapping them round tomorrow and repeat test (had enough today) but IIRC in the past after doing some maintenance I forgot to replug in BOTH MAFs and the car still ran but just drove terribly. Any ideas?

Also, any sources for repair or sourcing a replacement. I'm assuming I just need one replacing/repairing???

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell

Are you saying that you unplugged the new (second hand) MAF and it made no difference?

The MAFs are wired directly to their respective ECUs and the ECUs don't talk to each other. Where there is only one sensor, the wiring is spliced and sent to both ECUs.

Swapping the MAFs should tell you if the 2nd hand MAF is ok.

3. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The MAF-s have equal "authority", each for its own bank. Swapping the MAF-s will eliminate (or confirm) the possibility that the problem is elsewhere. There seems to be a good company in the US that rebuilds them (search the forum to find its name and contact).

Otherwise, I happen to have one brand new genuine Bosch for the 348 (0 280 212 018) and another alternative (also new genuine Bosch). You can PM me if interested.

4. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #4 348Jeff, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Yes, it's the one on the right in the video that I unplugged and re-plugged in twice (to make sure) that didn't make any difference
    - which does make me wonder whether that is faulty. I'll swap them today and put another video up.

IIRC They are called Python-injection but I believe they have gone out of business. If anyone knows of anyone else (abd if in the UK even better) please let me know. I've even tried searching SAAB forums but I cant find anyone who repairs them.

Just to add I've cleaned both of them with proper MAF cleaner and checked that none of the wires are broken etc - although I'm pretty sure that its the electronics that are damaged due to water contamination since the one I replaced actually had water sloshing about in it.

I'll PM you Miro.

5. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think I may of fixed it.... :)

It bothered me that the "new" (to me) MAF didnt make the car run any worse after it was unplugged as if it was already in an unplugged state and unplugging the other side finally sealed it. So rather than swapping them round I put my original MAF back just to see if that would pass teh "make a difference" test and guess what? the car appered to run a lot better.

It is now much more like what I expect ie unplugging either side should cause a drop in performance. BTW Ive not run teh car for 8 months so that "smoke" is just condensation.

Just about to go for a drive so will report back shortly - will be absolutely made it if it fixes it as was on a real downer about it this morning.

allandwf likes this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I seems that the water in the right MAF did not cause any damage to the electronics but it was just causing some shorts that affected the signal. Once any residual water/moisture dried out, it started working again. Hopefully it will be fine, just leave it open for a couple of hours so that it can get fully dried while the engine is cooling down then close it and seal with silicone.

MAF's electronics are very sensitive so they are easily affected just by moisture. The accuracy of their signal representing the air mas has very high accuracy with allowed tolerance of just +/- 0.02 volt.

8. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Well after a test drive I am very pleased (read relieved) to say all is well again in Ferrariland :)

Car drove great, accelerated well ;-') and didnt cut out at junctions etc. It is idling a little high but thats my fault for adjusting it to try and stop the stalls so Ill fix that tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help guys and thank you for link Eric - I'll email them and fet a price for my non working "new" MAF.

9. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Dodgy connection, I would be spraying a touch of contact cleaner, so many issues are caused by dodgy connections....