is the bubble due to burst? | Page 105 | FerrariChat

is the bubble due to burst?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PFSEX, Jan 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  2. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    daytonas have been waning for a perhaps a year.

Dinos... well I looked at many and perhaps most on offer in Monterey. The one that stole my heart was the Rosso Dino 246 Dino at Gooding on Sunday. It was a 7k mile car and allegedly all original. I believe hammer was 390. I was in the air at the time... I can't help but think that will be a "car that got away" I loved the color... it was a coupe... it was original and still very very nice with some minor paint blistering etc... Why the car at mecum did all the money and was beat up is beyond me.

I fell in love with that Dino. I only wish I had it.

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Did you guys say something? I was driving my Ferraris today... :)

4. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #2604 cnpapa24, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    What are you basing this on? Actually the Dinos sold well based on condition:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/144887610-post35.html

While I didn't look at any of the Daytonas it looks like they also did quite well and sold within their range.

1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Berlinetta by Scaglietti | Monterey 2016 | RM Sotheby's

1971 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Berlinetta by Scaglietti | Monterey 2016 | RM Sotheby's

1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona | Gooding & Company

1969 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona | Gooding & Company

5. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Agreed. This was the one car I took a hard look at to bid on. Paint was mostly original, though there were several areas where the paint had been finessed. The one concern was that if you wanted to drive this car at all, some mechanical work would be needed and so taking that into account maybe sold correctly all in, though maybe still a bit light.

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 add me to the list I thought that it was a remarkable car. $429,000 all-in was perhaps a bit light but still a strong result.

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That was a friendly discussion! :)

Until someone brought in his mother :eek: :D

That said, my son just sent me this Monterey Classic Car Week 2016 - Auction Summary according to which, whilst the sky might be a little cloudy, it is not falling.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    No way, you are the master! :)

9. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
  10. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    11 Countaches on EBay and growing no takers for months Dealers playing hot potato with cars left with hot potato There are the losers on EBay sorry you out lol

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    We have all heard many a Wolf-Cry the past 3 years since this thread started, and we are all entitled to our opinions, but the compiled data over the past 4 years Monterey Classic Car Week 2016 - Auction Summary shows that the classic car market is not nearly as volatile as the art market, and never has been even at the worst of times.

Apples & oranges.

As I said, the sky is not falling, and I, for one, am still doing some nice deals.

Granted Sellers have to be both realistic and fair, and the cars have to be without excuses, but I wouldn't say the market for great cars is bad. The cars that are sitting on the market unsold are cars that should never have been marked up in 2014/2015 in the first place.

13. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff

All the 11 Countaches on EBay are subpar ? One is down to $249

I think dealers will look back on these times fondly with rose glasses a year from now saying I remember when bla bla lol

14. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    as principal or agent ?

15. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    You would be lucky to see 2 at a time before the bubble and one usually the less popular anniversary edition Ct now there are 11 never seen so many soon there will be more I bet

16. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #2616 166&456, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    You mean 9, not 11. So one got away and you counted in the Fiero based replica. The 249k example has a sister car at the same dealer priced at nearly double that, admittedly a timecapsule car at <1000 miles. Both have the ugliest bumpers a Countach has ever seen.
    The ones to have are all at 400k or higher. At what price would you have seen them before?
    There is also always a seasonal effect at the end of summer. Dealers buy around autumn/winter and offload in spring.

Also I do not see any link with that contemporary art. What I did see was mediocre art at top prices in that article, I think $20k is still overpaying for that work. Mr. Kantor should have known better, as this was the athmosphere he bought it at, with art selling for 10 times auction estimate and/or at 10x-20x just a few years before, you know you're in la-la land: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-02-06/art-flippers-chase-fresh-stars-as-murillo-s-doodles-soar

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    As agent/facilitator, just did another Miura (7-figures) and a Countach, my son should update the Cars Sold section soon Cars | Joe Sackey Classics

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    "Should never have been marked up in 2014/2015 in the first place" is what I said.

19. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Wholly incorrect :rolleyes:

I specialize in the marque (although I generally avoid USA-modified DOT bumpers type), and follow Countachs very closely having been an owner of many of them for the past 30 years, and I can tell you that the only time there has not been at least 10-15 Countachs available in the advertised market the past 10 years has been precisely never.

USA-spec Countachs are generally difficult to sell except in boom markets, nothing new, its the way its always been.

Based on your other posts suggesting your Diablo will be a $1m car in the next 90 days :rolleyes:, your talking-the-Countach-market-down routine sounds to me like you want a cheap Countach to join your Diablo :eek: :D

Where have we seen this before?

21. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    A broker is always... well... brokering.

The vintage car market may be more robust than the art market however the recent uptick in Porsche prices makes me wonder...

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That's what they have been saying since this thread started in 2013.

I'm still waiting for those buying opportunities.

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed.

I think many car prices have settled down 20-30% in 2016, and IMHO that's a good thing and a healthy sign overall that we have a self-regulating market.

24. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    #2624 petearron, Sep 19, 2016

Lol I don't expect Diablos to be $1m cars and I don't think I in any way can talk the market down Things are not the same as 2013 now and no the market is not in some new paradigm where these prices will hold I have been watching Countaches for a few years for awhile there were none for sale on EBay except replicas There may have been 10 for sale consistently in other venues but not EBay usually all I would see was a red anniversary for $110k for long periods that's it never a 5000QV I remember in 04 before I bought my Boxer a low body LP 400 selling for $60k just missed it and a few others that's it

I may be looking to add a Countach in the future will be watching like a Vulture to jump in when the sell off starts those that got caught up in the hype cars are investments will learn a hard lesson

Consider my posts here a PSA to those thinking of buying now while prices are still up

25. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#2625 Bradwilliams, Sep 19, 2016
    There have been no takers on those for a lot longer than months. 1-2 years from what I've seen. Same story with Diablos and just about everything else.

My favorite was the Cy Twombley that looked like a child took a piece of chalk to a chalkboard and attempted cursive. 70 million

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/cy-twombly-blackboard-covered-in-scribbles-fetches-70-million-at-sotheby-s-a6731281.html

Who was the hedge fund guy that said "art is the new gold?" :) Classic. Pretty sure it was the blackrock director.