Is "racing" just an outdated concept? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is "racing" just an outdated concept?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Igor Ound, Mar 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    See drifting. One of the few forms of motorsport that is very popular with younger generations.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Drifting is like wanking it instead of shagging.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    To me, the problem with racing is watching it on TV doesn't cut it. I've never been, but people tell me the difference between the Indy 500 live and on TV is night and day. Of course, the problem in the US is most of us don't live near the major venues; or if something is near by, it is NASCAR. My thought is we need to get people hooked on live racing so they will tolerate watching it on TV.

4. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Pretty much this!

The theory also applies to going to the movies, concerts, and other sporting events. It's just not worth the time, expense, and hassle to me. I never thought I would miss F1 races in the states, but with the cost of getting to TX, staying in TX, food, drinks, and then finally race tickets, I could not justify it.

I love watching events from the comfort of my couch in high definition with great food and drinks literally within arms reach. Plus, I can watch when my schedule allows. It's kind of sad to say, but the older I get, the less I enjoy F1 races in US timezones. I feel like trying to watch live kills the whole day, which says a whole lot about how far down the excitement ladder F1 has fallen.

Mark

5. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    You and I are suffering from the same F1 despondency. Last year, I stopped watching altogether, checked here for highlights, then fast forwarded to anything I needed to see.

I will still go to a movie theater to see a movie I don't want to wait on, but since I'm self employed, I can go at 11 am on a Tuesday when no one is there.

6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    NASCAR is a bore fest unless they are racing at a half mile track like Martinsville or Bristol. There you actually have good racing action with lot's of passes and wrecks. The longer tracks just aren't exciting. I use to race with Jimmie Johnson in the ASA series in 1999 and 2000. He moved up to NASCAR and I asked him how the Daytona 500 was, he said it was the most boring race. You put your foot to the floor the whole time and just wait for the big crash.

7. I thought, in essence, that's what I said.... :confused:
    (reliability being mainly in advanced material and design...fabricators have always been the very best in the top levels) ;)

You contradict your previous post. What happened to the "monitoring" and resultant preventative pit stop? :)

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

lorenzobandini

8. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #33 WILLIAM H, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Stadium trucks are just badass

I may try this, hopefully I don't break anything

Vintage racing draws ppl cus they want to see the cool cars & heros

I'd love to bring back CAN AM w cars using modern safety gear but everything else wide open

Bring back V12s, turbines and craziness
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #34 WILLIAM H, Mar 30, 2017
    Road racing formula libre w jumps and transparent tunnel where high downforce cars go inverted :)

These are the crazy jet powered Chapparal concepts

10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Spot on assessment.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I do?

I'm so sorry that I've offended your delicate sensibilities.

The fact is, before you take my words and twist them into some sort of convoluted argument,
    reliability these days is directly related to modern electronics and the ability of teams to
    monitor every aspect of the car and take action before an issue causes a DNF.

BHW

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #37 BartonWorkman, Mar 31, 2017
    At issue is racing's relevance and its place in sport/business going forward.

An interesting discussion with a young Canadian at the opening of Curated in Miami just
    over a month ago. This guy works for a company that produces brake materials for the
    auto industry and he had an interesting take on the future of racing.

The entire industry, as he said, is looking towards driverless cars moving about via GPS and
    that how a whole new generation is coming that will never know what it is to actually drive a
    car such is the march of technology.

Whether this affects racing remains to be seen of course as mentioned previously, manufacturers
    are indicating their intentions to remain in racing for the long term if their board decisions and
    pubic statements are anything to go by.

Personally, the bit about driverless cars dependent on GPS and computers to get around
    would be a complete cluster **** especially if/when the grid goes down, there is some
    sort of hiccup in the system or worse, gets hacked by those with ill intentions.

What we've seen from the last decade or so of relevant racing is the sanctioning bodies
    attempting to actually keep the march of technology from moving forward. When Adrian
    Newey came along with what his real vision of a futuristic Red Bull F-1 car would look like,
    it was a revelation. If the sanctioning bodies really let the designers and engineers off the
    leash, we'd see a generation of cars that would really capture the imagination of the
    public in general.

BHW

13. Nein.

You stated that:

How does a pit stop accomplish what I asked earlier? You challenge my "delicate sensibilities" but you don't address my question with facts... ;)

14. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Round Two!!!

15. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    I have been to lots of F1 races in my life, and now I live in Texas and COTA is only a couple hours away, so far I have attended all the Races F1 in Texas, but I dont think I will go this year. I go for MotoGP every year as well, and I must say it is by far the better event, and always have a good time.

16. #41 lorenzobandini, Mar 31, 2017
    Thtop it thilly. You'll hurt my feelingth. :(

I'm effer tho delicate and haven't a clue about tthhat whichth I thpeak. 'No logic what thoever...jutht emothion. :p

I come in colorth everywhere, I comb my hair.

I'm a...

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I could see the concepts of racing against time and speed becoming really vital in future space missions like the "race to Mars" to name one but IMO, on planet earth alone, they might slowly become obsolete and less relevant altogether as a concept, both in sport and war

18. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Racing needs a modern CAN AM style series that throws the rule book out on everything except safety.

Add a Flugplatz to tracks & lots of hot Grid Girls

I have to say the Ricers do have good Grid girl shows.

Hmmm, Bubble bikini contest :)

19. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sglyFwTjfDU[/ame]

20. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    And I agree.

21. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    That makes being top dog easier :)

22. Agreed.

It's been a number (way too many) of years since I've seen "kids" (with a bunch of buddies and some beer) with their hoods up or even off working on their engines. Under a tree with some rope and pullies pulling an engine. Under a car up on milk crates changin' a clutch or headers. Under the back adding shackles, helper springs, drag bars etc. Anybody else notice?

Times they are a changin'... :(

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

lorenzobandini