Is now the time to pick up deals? | FerrariChat

Is now the time to pick up deals?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MadMaxx, Sep 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MadMaxx

MadMaxx Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    With the lending/housing market collapsing, many "flippers" seem to be feeling the pinch and are liquidating their toys. I've seen a few rather nice 360's go up for sale for lower than expected, but still didn't end up selling.

Is now the time for the savvy buyer to swoop down and pickoff another man's misfortune? Or shall I wait for the gloom and doom to continue and capitalize on even lower sale prices down the road (not sure how low the toys will actually go). I've been watching on and off all year, haven't committed to buying anything yet, but it's getting awfully tempting...

Thoughts?

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Life is short. You may not be here in a year to enjoy the car then. Just my $.02

3. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    i'm not quite sure how best to answer your question, but i can say that it seems as though there is a substantial amount of ferrari's on the market right now

4. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    When I look on eBay, I don't really see any fire sales.

5. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    There are always a lot for sale, but at what price?

Most people aren't stupid enough to let a Ferrari go at an unreasonably low price, if they were in the position to afford one in the first place. Now for those that can't afford them and leased, pick on them.

6. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    i have been seeing more and more 308's going in the 25k range, and it would be interesting if someone compared prices today to say, a year ago. granted there are other factors that go into pricing, but i wouldn't be surprised if people are starting to part with cars, albeit at a decent price, but still selling them for a quick turnaround.

7. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    IMO, that's a totally different market. 308's aren't exactly in the "exotic" segment.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Heading into fall, with real estate down and overextended idiots realizing you have to actually pay for stuff eventually, it probably is time to look for late model Ferraris coming on the market.

I don't think the earlier ones (vintage through 'modern classic') are financed as often, so the deals may be in the 360s.

I suspect things will be rough for a while, though, so even if you get a 'deal' I wouldn't plan on profiting from the sale soon, if ever.

9. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    Not sure I'd want a 360 from someone who could barely afford it. Maintenance?
    But it will be an interesting thing to track. Who knows what might come along.

10. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd say the whole Daytona-Dino-Boxer-3x8-TR segment is different and maybe out of your "exotic" segment -- usually bought by hardcore car guys as a hobby, and probably for cash. The suddenly-rich-for-a-while real estate flippers would probably go to the dealer and pick up a new-ish 360 to stay in the "exotic" realm. ("Exotic" = expensive and common in this context?)

The real vintage collectibles -- 250/275 GT cars, etc. -- seem to me to be in secure hands, not so much with the adjustable-mortgage crowd, although I'm generalizing.

11. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree. A fire sale Ferrari? Errmmm no thanks.

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Wait a bit. The weak are starting to get shaken out.