Is it too early to start my road trip thread? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Is it too early to start my road trip thread?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PV Dirk, May 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #126 PV Dirk, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
    Picked up the car today and put a bit over 100 miles on it running around the foothills. Great driving, went out to Lincoln on hwy 65, up 293 to Newcastle then took 80 to the Meadow Vista exit and took that back road around to Colfax, all in the Sierra Foothills here in CA. I need to remember to take my camera with me. Beautiful twisty mountain roads, lots of 20 to 30mph warning signs. The car is driving great. I didn't realize how stiff the throttle was or how smooth it could be with some lubrication. Salerno did a great job and came in under budget :D I'm anxious to get moving on the real trip. And a thanks to Salerno in Rocklin, CA for squeezing my car in so I can go on this trip without worries. Also, a cursory emissions test was done. My car is originally a CA car and I was concerned it might be tough to get through emissions due to age or who knows what but looks like it shouldn't be a problem if I end up selling it to someone out here.

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #127 PV Dirk, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Only about 200 miles today, but we got up into the hills and had a great drive as the sun went down. We started in Galt, CA and ended up in Lakeport on a hill at my buddys familys retreat. We rolled into town where we stopped at a Mexican restaurant. I don't think they see many Ferraris here, I got double takes and some people stopping on the side of the road to watch the car come and then turn to watch it go. Some evening shots when we got here.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    The wait was worth it, right? Nice shot!

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #129 PV Dirk, Sep 9, 2011
    Today was a big one. We left Lakeport, CA at 4:30am and arrived in Aberdeen, WA at 9pm. We took 101 the entire way. The morning drive was fantastic. Almost no traffic, running with mostly the high beams on and all those great reflectors that CA puts on the road. Made it look almost like a video game. All day was with the top down and there were some chilly times when we got near the coast. As we were able to get so far today we have an easy day tomorrow which was my goal. Oregon was tough as we ran into a lot of road construction. The car has been getting many favorable comments, far more than I've gotten anywhere else. Total of about 715 miles today.

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I also found today that I was able to use the flexibility of the engine. Did a lot of passing on two lane highways. The car pulls so strong I forget how sorrowful other cars can be when trying to pull a steep grade. Fuel economy did suffer as we were having a lot of fun, I got about 17 instead of the usual 20. Not a glitch or problem. Tomorrow we will allow ourselves to sleep in a bit, casual breakfast then will drive north to Port Angeles the long way and stop in at a national park to do a rain forest hike. How many of us drive our Ferraris through rain forests? We have reservations on the 5pm ferry to Victoria. I don't know if whales are in season, if so I'm hoping we get to see one on the way over. I've taken this ferry before and have yet to have any luck with that.

6. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    715 miles! Can you still hear? :)

Nice pics!

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    This is my second biggest day, I've done over 800 once. It took a long time as we got stuck with road construction and lots of running up and down through the rev range on the coastal twisties. If I've lost more hearing I haven't noticed it. I have found that when running 70mph for hours on end the wind noise does get to me, but with the top down and varying speed, the only permanent damage I seem to have sustained is that I have what appears to be a permanent grin.

8. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I understand completely. Are you wearing earplugs though? I find the grin, that much bigger if my head isn't throbbing after a long drive.

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I would like to thank those who have made suggestions along the way or made offers of lunch and what another club refers to as barley therapy.

This current trip as a bit of background is occuring with a friend that goes all the way back to 1st grade. He is now married with the children and I am married with no children at this point so I have time, he does not. We've planned this portion of the trip a year in advance but had only so many days. We set our sights on Victoria and the transportation as the Ferrari as a great but short journey. I wish we had more time up here but he must be back at work on Tuesday. Tomorrow we catch a ferry back to Port Angeles and are going to try to make southern Oregon by bedtime.

10. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    On Thursday we had made it to Aberdeen, a town I lived in for a short time. It was good to be back in town even if for just one evening. We had breakfast at the same place we had dinner, Billys. We hit the road but had more time to kill. We stopped at the Quinalt rain forest and did the short .5 mile rain forest hike that I had done before but is so powerful. We then drove to Forks where we stopped for pizza and then made it to Port Angeles early where we walked the town a bit and relaxed with beer. A few cars behind me in the waiting line was a 1965 356 Porsche and I didn't see but heard there was a Lotus a few spots behind him. We had to board so I didn't have time to search it out. We rode the ferry across, parked the car in the parking garage of the Marriott (top down) with the assurance it would probably be fine. It was. Then we went out for beers and some live music.

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Today Saturday 9/10/11, we woke up around 8am, got breakfast at the lounge in the Marriott and got some suggestions. We started by taking the car to Mile 0 of the Candian Hwy, then drove the scenic route around the city along the water. We parked the car then walked to a cute neighborhood where we had lunch and a pint, I think it was called the Beagle Pub. Then we walked to a beer fest where it was explained to us they were sold out months in advance so we walked through China Town then to the Swan where we had a sampler of their brews, then to Canoe Club where we had another sampler and a bowl of Fried root chips. Good stuff. We then walked to the inner harbor, watched some performers and came back to our room for a quick nap. He's sleeping, I'm posting. Tonight we'll take the water ferry over to Spinnakers where it will be more samplers, dinner and a few pints. Tomorrow, back on the Ferry.

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #139 PV Dirk, Sep 10, 2011
  13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I have ear plugs in the car, have worn them in the past, but haven't used them on this trip. At the lower speeds I find the driving very pleasant.

14. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Those are the coolest roots on top of a tree stump. Loved our visit to Victoria a few years ago on an Alaskan cruise. Very nice town. Very cool to see the Mondi at mile 0.

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I am exhausted. It's been a big couple of days. Leaving Wednesday eve and arriving back today we covered almost exactly 2000 miles in those 6 days. I need to do some laundry, go to bed early because I have a couple more days of vacation and I'm driving back up to Oregon tomorrow to spend them with my Dad. Another 300 miles each way. It will be time to clean the car. I didn't even get this many bugs when I went cross country. When I get a chance I'll pop back in here, give some more detail and post some more pictures. My buddy took a bunch of pictures and some video so we are trying to figure out how to get that here.

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #143 PV Dirk, Sep 12, 2011
  17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Now with glass of wine in hand I'm going to go check the oil level before tomorrows 300 miles.

18. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I drove my car 2200 miles and never once did the engine seem loud, nor was the wind intolerable so i'm wondering if you guys have aftermarket exhausts?

19. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I have the OEM exhaust. My hearing must be better...... ;)

20. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    jgoodman - curious if it's a 3.2 vs T thing - my 3.2 is loud, my 348 (T engine) is quiet.

Erik

21. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    The factory exhaust on our t is also quiet, except at full throttle, then it screams.
    Dave

22. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The car is now listed in Ferrariads.

It has been a fantastic ride. I will miss this car and can't imagine any other car at this cost that will provide the experience this car does. And although the ad was posted today, tomorrow I'll be putting 300 more miles on it. If I still have it at the end of October it may be another 1000 miles. I am sad that my summer drive was cut short, I was really looking forward to making a big loop and visiting a lot of folks. As it was I was able to meet with the Sacramento and Portland groups. It has been what I'd envisioned, it was "The Year of the Ferrari" I'm still waiting on my buddy to put together his photos and video and I may owe some more details so I'll be back.

23. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #150 jgoodman, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
    Why are you selling her? I think many Mondial owners here enjoyed seeing you enjoy your Mondial to her fullest. Now it seems like you're dumping the prom queen after you hooked up with her at the prom. Not sure it makes total sense.