Is it time for gun control in Washington? | Page 49 | FerrariChat

Is it time for gun control in Washington?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Sep 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I think you should have a look at Nevada's gun/violence history(I would think most of the folk there were Nevadans) and then make a rational point of view.

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

You guys don't get it. We're not gonna change. And no amount of mass killing, hand wringing or editorializing is going to change that.

We've had presidents assassinated, and gravely wounded, that didn't slow gun ownership down.

We have 33,000 gun fatalities a year. And when you bring it up, the comparison is, "Yeah, but we have 50,000 auto fatalities a year, and 1/3 of those are alcohol related. Should we outlaw liquor? Cars? lower speed limits??"

The NRA, for a long time used, "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." as their slogan for not messing with gun laws. I think that notion is still very well ingrained among Americans.

Guns are intertwined in our society, there are, at least by some accounts 300,000,000 legally owned guns in the United States. and 299,970,000 of them are never involved in a human fatality each year. Guys here scream about prying their guns from their cold, dead fingers. Guns, to gun owners, are an ingrained right guaranteed by a document written in 1787 by guys who never envisioned automatic weapons. But hey, the Bill of Rights is untouchable. Even though there's plenty of discussion about what it means, over 200 years later, guns are here to stay.

They're not going away. We might reduce the availability of non-hunting weapons, but don't count on it.

And finally, yes, we expect sympathy for the victims. and NO, just because they listen to country music they don't all own guns.

d

3. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Totally agree with you on all counts.

Doesn't change the fact that it's utterly moronic, and equally as outdated as some other ideologies that we do agree on.

4. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

With which I agree 100%.

Oh, and I AM a gun owner. Not a gun nut, but a gun owner. And if, at some point in time I could really be guaranteed that other NUTS would no longer own a gun, I'd be happy to give my (non-sport) guns up. I don't own any long rifles, but do own a couple of handguns and a shotgun for shooting skeet.

And, unlike maybe 95% of the (non-law enforcement) gun owners in the USA, I am properly trained in how to use it, own it, safe keep it, etc.

D

Steve355F1 likes this.
  5. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I think we do "get" that nothing's going to change - we're just gobsmacked that it's the case...

6. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Not me , I've never expected any better from them

Been arguing on the interweb since 1990 with my US colleagues in DEC ............. super smart people, super dumb attitude towards guns

One of those DEC people sells the Unobtainium products on fchat, very nice man

7. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    If folk keep bringing on the same old crap re cars killing people in the same breath as gun control,then you know they're grasping at straws.

A FIREARM WAS ONLY DESIGNED FOR ONE THING AND ONE THING ONLY.....TO KILL SOMETHING.

That's what,it appears,the USA don't 'get'.

Apart from the quite new phenomenon of using vehicles AS weapons,around the world...Aussie included,the vehicle was designed for one thing only,transporting people and goods wherever they want to go.

Plus,I didn't infer everyone at the concert were guntoting,just that Nevada's has a reputation as firearm welcome state....

http://www.nevadacarry.org

8. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    What about the people who like going to the range to shoot a few targets (so they can be better at shooting people) ?

IF people had a gun that was locked in at the range that would be fine in my book, but would you trust someone like a mentally affected person to have a gun ?

The US makes it easy for them

If I lived in the US I'd be in gaol for life by now for losing my temper and shooting EVERYONE :oops:

9. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    how about we consider the facts for a moment?

An Australian white male has a risk of death from firearms homicide of 1.0, for his US counterpart it is only 1.5, for a US Hispanic male it is 12 and for a black male it is 19.

Meanwhile, our Northern Territory’s homicide rate is 6.5 per 100,000. In Victoria the homicide rate has risen 30 per cent in the past year.

Still feeling superior about being an Aussie?

greg246 likes this.
  10. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    sorry, I should have specified that the risk is 1.0 per 100,000 population.

11. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    You bet.

Were the NT homicides done with a firearm.

Where are your figures of Aussie mass killing using firearms?

If you're going to create a discussion,please make it relevant to the initial subject,same as the other folk who want to bring car deaths into the equation...irrelevant.

12. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Seems from the "accurate " media reports the guy involved had this planned for quite some time.

13. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

You're not alone.

D

14. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    figures are for firearm homicides. Until recently we held the record for a mass firearm homicide, being the Port Arthur massacre.

The Australian numbers are completely relevant to the initial subject. We have the same statistical incidence of psyco/sociopaths in Australia and they can get guns, legally or otherwise.

15. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Since Port Arthur,Ian....come on don't split hairs like that.

Aussie has about the best gun control laws in the world,most of the thinking USA politicians agree to that as well.

16. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It's been said before, but this is the most useless, irrelevant thread on Fchat. The US govt and it's citizens can organise their society as they wish. Thanks a lot PP for starting this dumb thread

17. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Nuthin' wrong with robust conversation.
    You don't HAVE to click on the thread if you don't want.

Steve355F1 and kerrari like this.
  18. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  19. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

Can't help it, it's like watching a car crash :p

DMWC likes this.
  20. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  21. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I do what I can. You know that.

greg246 likes this.
  22. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    This might be the dumbest post you've ever made, and that's really saying something.

23. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    The NT homicide figure is a disgrace - but 6.5 is still a huge improvement on 19 per 100k... especially since I presume the figures are base per 100k of the ENTIRE population.

I'm not sure 'superior' is the correct word, but certainly as an Aussie I feel a whole lot safer and I think our fear factor here is way lower.

24. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    who are you talking to ?

25. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I agree about this purpose and greatly admire the bloke and our archers as well,remembering though,any tournament of this kind using weapons,it probably started with how many you killed.
    as for the rest of your input........