Is it time for gun control in Washington? | Page 139 | FerrariChat

Is it time for gun control in Washington?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Sep 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Once again, really interesting.

2. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    TLDR

3. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  4. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Actually no - the best bosses I’ve ever had encouraged serious ‘discussion’ over design issues and directions. Not one ever said ‘just do what you’re told’. One I remember if we had come to a stalemate would say (and he only ever said this a couple of times) “Well we can try it this way or you can learn from the mistakes I’ve made in the past.” at which point I would I would follow his suggestion!
    Anyway the people we are talking about are really there to ADVISE the president, not take orders. How much military expertise to you think Trump (or any president ) actually has?

5. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You didn't read what I wrote

6. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    yes I did, believe me design decisions are as fundamental as it gets in my industry. Some of the arguments I’ve had about a ceiling profile would make the decision to invade another country look easypeasy!

7. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I never argue

I sit back, implement what the client WANTS, if I think it is wrong I will give my two cents worth and do it their way ...... then when it falls on it's head I STILL say nothing, look at them with that "fuchin told you so " look and wait for them to admit they were wrong, if they don't then why would I care, their mistake, their money.

I rarely get asked to do it the way I told them as most people don't want to lose face or admit they're dickheads ...... what do I care, I just look at my bank balance :p

Technology is a funny old world, was consulting to Telecom (pre-Telstra) and they mentioned standard unix to a colleague and me and we fell off our chairs (literally :p ) laughing ..... our manager told us to stop behaving silly .... and we said "we will when he does!! :D "

There are plenty of ning nongs out there, you just have to sit back and laugh :)

Its328 likes this.
  8. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  9. DMWC

DMWC Formula 3

Jan 23, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David C
  10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You know you’re living in George Orwell’s world when speech is considered violence and actual violence is considered speech. And when people who have no personal responsibility for things apologise while those who are personally responsible for looting, arson and great violence do not, and are not expected to either. If you say “all lives matter”, and you happen to be an NBA commentator in California, you’re fired. Not debated. Not called “insensitive”. You lose your job for daring to differ from the social media orthodoxy. Likewise, suggest that “buildings matter, too” and if you’re the top editor at the Philadelphia Inquirer you’re gone. Forced to resign.

And heaven forbid if you’re The New York Times editor who opts to run an opinion piece by a US senator — a Republican to be clear, though readers will have guessed that on their own. Publish Arkansas’s Tom Cotton’s piece on the need to stop the riots by sending in the troops, and you’re gone. This despite The New York Times running endless pieces on the other side of the argument and the fact Cotton’s view would have been endorsed by John F. Kennedy, Franklin Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan — just about everyone until a few seconds ago. Nope, the editor has to go for having the temerity to let any viewpoint be put forward that fails to genuflect at the feet of today’s social media doctrines.
    It is becoming plain that the cancel culture knows no limits. The old, incredibly valuable pieties at the heart of liberalism are going, going, gone. When I was at university in Canada in the 1980s we learned to argue against views with which we disagreed. We learned that we lived in a world where nice, smart, reasonable people just happened to disagree about quite a lot of things. And so, rather than be cocooned in some safe space in an attempt not to be offended, we learned to reflect on the competing view and then try to argue why we were right and they was wrong. Sometimes the other lot even convinced us — though that takes time. (If anyone says to you, “I’ve just heard your arguments and I’ve changed my entire world view on the basis of your insights; you’ve totally convinced me”, then it’s a sure thing that person wants to date you. Call that Allan’s Law. Your views can change, but it takes time.)

THEAUSTRALIAN.COM.AU5:31

Axed movie and TV titles have become ‘pawns in pathetic gesture politics’

Sky News host Peta Credlin says rewriting history is a “very dangerous move” especially when it’s clear people “don’t even know it anymore in the...

[https://i1]

Today, though, the Twitter mobs and others don’t argue against my or your view that they dislike. Instead they argue against that view being able to exist at all. They aim to get you fired. Aim to get commercial sponsors to abandon advertising on your show. Aim to have you taken off Twitter. They want to cancel you because they think your views are offensive. Or wrongheaded. Or disrespectful. They don’t want to live in a world where they have to hear things with which they disagree.
    You then get the unedifying sight of people who, deep down, don’t believe they said anything wrong being forced (because they want to keep their job, or their lousy friends, or an end the bile aimed at them) to apologise. Alas, grovelling and apologising and “taking the knee” for what you believe to have been true is a bad idea, just as apologising for things wholly out of your control, like your skin colour, is a bad idea. Or saying sorry because someone makes an undefined claim to your having been privileged solely because of your group — bad idea to apologise for that too. Apologies are simply taken as a sign of weakness. You won’t get absolution. American legal scholar Cass Sunstein published a paper last year based on extensive interviews with all sorts of people that backed this up. Apologies don’t work in this context. They spur the mob on to demand more.
    Here’s a longstanding truth I learned way back when I was at a pretty tough state school: unless you stand up to bullies they will keep making you cede more. When you believe you are right, then never, ever back down. It doesn’t matter if you’ll be called names — “racist” is the mot du jour — it doesn’t matter if you’ll be threatened.

11. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Robby Starbuck
    @robbystarbuck

·
    8h

Replying to
    @realDonaldTrump
    Proud to have you as our President, a President looking out for ALL Americans!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Robby Starbuck
    @robbystarbuck

·
    8h

President Trump has done more for Black America than the last 5 Presidents combined. Opportunity Zones, First Step Act, Police Reform, Record HBCU funding, First President to open an office
    @WhiteHouse
    for HBCU’s, legalized hemp which reduced low level marijuana arrests and more!

12. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Steve355F1 likes this.
  13. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Hey !!

My sister, partner and PP live on FB :p

Ok, fair dibs :D

14. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    PP is your sister and partner!!!

Silly signature here to annoy KIAI

15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You are incorrect. The World is a cesspit of morons.

greg246, DMWC, Gizzi and 1 other person like this.
  16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    2 hours to go! Mega

17. DMWC

DMWC Formula 3

Jan 23, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David C
  18. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I wondered the same thing. He's a brave man!

19. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    How funny that people are angry that Trump has a crowded rally despite corona, but the thousands demonstrating against Trump etc outside, well that's just fine and dandy.

The press.... Seriously!