Is it only me, or do you find that more people are driving below the speed limit? | FerrariChat

Is it only me, or do you find that more people are driving below the speed limit?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by kizdan, Sep 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    It's a trend that I see happening. More and more often, I get caught behind cars doing 5 or 10 mph below the limit. It's infuriating! It's a lot of elderly people, which I can understand, but the majority of them are distracted drivers. They think they are driving more safely because they are going slower while they read or write their texts, but they don't realize, or simply don't care that they are holding up the flow of traffic. I would really love to see a major clampdown on this.

It's especially infuriating on the highway, where people park themselves in the left lane, and continue on at below the limit. Often, it's the same guilty parties that I described above. Some of them though have their eyes locked on the road ahead, and have a terrified look on their face, like they are intimidated by the size of the vehicle they're in, and dare not change lanes. Other times, it's people who are just living in their own world, oblivious of what is going on outside of their car.

Maybe going towards self driving cars is the only way to go. I ride a motorcycle, and am terrified of what I see out there. It's more dangerous now than ever, and getting more and more dangerous. I am not impressed with the direction that public commuting is going in.

2. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Those are just minor annoyances to us North Carolinians. :(

3. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    +1
    Asian drivers are champions of slow driving on the left and with their faces glued to d steering wheel totally unnaware of their surroundings.
    There is a well accepted reason for their behaviour....we know why they fo that...
    What drives me nuts are the " its my God given right" to drive wherever the hell I want to drive.....people....and they reproduce and vote too!

4. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    I understand drivers that don't know enough to stay out of the left lane when going slow, the ones that bother me are drivers who intentionally left lane it to control speeders, kinda like they're saving the world from irresponsible lunatics that want to pass going over the speed limit,,,

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    #5 energy88, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    I've often wondered if what they teach in Driver Training courses has changed over the years. I was taught that the left lane was for passing or getting ready for a left turn. Today, the left lane seems to be regarded an "entitlement" lane. I frequently see people get onto a freeway and get into the left lane no matter how fast they intend to travel. Of course, one benefit to the left lane is that one doesn't need to dodge vehicles rudely cutting in front of you from the freeway entrance ramp.

6. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    It does drive me nuts. We have signs all along the highway, keep right. The ones who do it to stop speeders. They really irk me. You are supposed to keep right. You can temporarily exceed the limit to safely get ahead of the slower car. That's why police here usually allow 10km/h's over the limit in the left lane. The US its usually 5mph over give or take. Sometimes its safer to go a little faster. We really need to teach the old some rules are made to be broken attitude, here again.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    This is one of the reasons why I just sold my Ferrari. Second to no real place to drive and enjoy.

8. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Because of all the above, I often stay on the right lane and find myself pleasantly surprised on being able to drive at 10+ mph above speed limits, exactly because most slower drivers are on the left proudly lined up like sheep. As I always say ....the rigth lane is always the fast lane both in the UK and in the US

9. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Driving is definitely getting worse. I was driving the mass. pike yesterday and in a few sections you can see about a mile ahead and I was in a bottleneck of cars and when we got to a rise in the highway I could see way ahead a car in the left lane pacing the car next to it in the right lane with about a mile of empty highway in front of them. Where I live in Vt it is all 2 lane roads but they are still considered highways and the speed limit is 50. What is happening on those roads is people just cannot pick a steady speed they will accelerate from 30 to 50 then on the brakes then on the gas if I have no one in front of me I will set my cruise to 48 and just go. I used to ride motorcycles but don't think I ever would again the way people drive now.

10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    +1

CW

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    There are a few people that drive 50 in a 55 or 65 and 50 in a 30, just one speed.

I also see more left lane drivers, less blinkers, more tail gating, don't right on red, can't hold lane in dual turns, and don't give legal u-turns right away from cross street. overall the skills and experience of drivers is way down, I think lesser driver education programs and more internationals.

12. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Every police department should have a squad of officers whose only job is to crack down on drivers who impede traffic. It would be a license to print money. I'm sure every member of said squad would write enough tickets on a daily basis to pay their salaries 20 times over.

13. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    For me, there seems to be no happy medium (or, in this case, would that be median?) :D

On my last few long interstate drives, there seems to be two types of drivers: those who are content to drive far below the speed limit and then those who believe 90-100 mph is a safe and prudent speed. Honestly, there seems to be no middle-ground and it's frustrating that the congestion make it nearly impossible to even use my cruise control for more than a few minutes at most.

14. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    As long as new drivers view driving as their right, nothing will change.

The perception has to be changed to reality, that driving is a privilege, not a right.

Banning all phone use while driving coupled with teaching new drivers how to drive manual transmissions before they go to automatics would help immensely in my opinion.

15. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree about the right lane. Plus my perception of radar speed traps indicates that police may be targeting speeders more in the left ("fast") lane. Nobody ever speeds in the right lane- right?

16. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    I work for a large volume Toyota dealership as a Service Writer. Sucks to have been at the pinnacle of cars and then working here but we move on...

I spend more of my Repair Orders connecting cell phones to the in-car systems than I do solving real mechanical issues. The Kardashian Syndrome of self-importance seen with this over-connected world manifests itself in entitlement and apathy towards anything else than constant attention. Driving skills don't matter anymore. Insurance covers all mistakes and responsibility is disposable.

17. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    It kind scares me having a Chinese sister in law, born, raised and licensed in China. The reason it scares me, she has a license and has never driven a vehicle, never mind a car. The Canadian constitution has interpreter rights. Its supposed to be for courts. But they decided to extend that to the "DMV" here. You can get the driver handbook in 10 languages. Here is the part that bothers me. My SIL paid an "extra" fee for her license and skip the test in China. She can exchange her Chinese license for ours. The "DMV" thinks this is safe because new licenses have restrictions. Net in certain areas here, the drivers are extra scary. I almost use the horn daily.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    well computers on the dealership side make the experience more frustrating for the clients sometimes too! :) I have a 2001 and 2012 Tundra, I rotate them in at same time. Your computers couldn't handle it! :D I set up appointment for first one which was fine, she asked when I wanted next appointment, I said when the first one was finished. She goes I can't do that, you have to set a time. I said I don't know a time, when you call me the first one is done I will bring in the next one. She just set a time for 2 hours later. Well it took the dealership 5 hours, so when I came in the service writer started giving me **** about being 3 hours late, I about laid him out on the floor. :D

19. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    She has a driver's license, but has never driven a car?!?!?!? That is the epitome of ridiculousness.

20. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    In Cali the limit is 55mph for pulling trailers. I try and use my crusiecontrol towing my racecar to the track. I am never the slowest guy on the road and can rarely use my crusiecontrol for more than a few minutes at a time. Amazing! It is the people on their phones. I wish I could generate a jamming signal when I drive.

21. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Ah it's terrible here. People have no idea what the passing lane is either.

22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ive noticed people intentionally driving slowly so they can read their phone messages/emails. a lot of distracted drivers out there....

23. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    Lighten up Francis... ;)

That's absurd. We trade off all the time like that. Makes it easy to deliver and communicate. It's not the computers. Same as the thread. People quality and no interest in anything but their own bubble.