Is Hamilton one of the GOAT F1 drivers? | FerrariChat

Is Hamilton one of the GOAT F1 drivers?

Discussion in 'F1' started by ren0312, Aug 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ren0312

ren0312 Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    Is Hamilton one of the greatest F1 drivers of all time alongside senna, prost, and Schumacher? I mean looking at the way Mercedes is doing I can easily see him winning 5 Wdcs, which would put him aside Schumacher, senna, and prost.

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Only time will tell. However, with his WDCs and wins he does seem to be headed in the right direction.

3. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Don´t confuse "the most successful" with "the greatest off all time"...With 4 WDC (at the end of this season) both he and Vettel have one more than Senna but I doubt that either of them can match Senna nevertheless...

4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    NO
    NO WAY
    NOT A CHANCE
    SUCCESSFUL IN TITLES DOESNT MEAN GREATEST DRIVER, JUST MEANS THE CAR WAS THE CLASS OF ITS FIELD.

next question - does Elton experience a healthy bias from the stewards and FIA, resulting in the avoidance of many sanctions others have to serve?

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Nope.

He's quicker than the average F1 driver, but nothing outright special. Schumacher, Senna...what those guys did, almost every time they got in the car they did something special.

The way he's talked about, he should never have lost a race to Rosberg; only when his car breaks down. Rosberg has beaten him straight up way too many times.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Stirling Moss is arguably the most successful F1 driver of all time and has not even won a WDC.

Elton, like Vettel, is simply better than his team mate. Both benefited from having the dominating car, as M. Schumacher did for some of his WDC's.
    Pete

7. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    I think he's one of the more talented around today but Merc's technological dominance of the sport has elevated him and Nico far beyond their actual raw abilities.

Put Bottas in Hamilton's Merc, or Button, or Alonso, or half the grid for that matter and they would claim win after win.

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    If he is the GOAT Rosberg must be second or third at worse

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I hope in 2017 we will get a shake up in the pecking order,and possibly some closer racing.Then we can get a clearer picture of how good Lewis is (or not ).

I would rate him somewhere behind Ayrton and Schumi so far, difficult to see anyone surpassing those two in the next few years if ever.

The new guys coming through into F1 might turn out to be something special,and of course young Max is a shining example.If he can keep his head screwed on then he may well go onto be one of the all time greats, given a good car!

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

As Mansell has stated previously there is not 1 great driver, but a group, who in the right car can win. LH and Nico are doing what is possible with the machine at hand.

LH failed to dominate Button. End of in terms of 'greatness'.

11. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I'll give him top 20. But i think he's also been very lucky like Vettel to have been in top machinery most of his career.

12. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This, and I've been watching for 40 years. He isn't even the best driver on the MB TEAM-Lauda was far superior.

13. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #13 Neonzapper, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Is a jet greater than a car?

"All Time" infers a disregard for starting position, type/era of vehicle being driven, and team and power unit. Winning isn't everything. A few years ago, a Renault powered Red Bull had Seb Vettel out so far ahead of the field that the cameras didn't have him in sight. The tight field was from second place down.

Give Rio Haryanto a 2016 silver arrow for a season and you'd mark him down as most improved driver of all time.

If LH had stayed with McLaren, would you have asked? At the moment, Mercedes is enjoying a winning streak- regardless of pilot. That will change.

14. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Hamilton's car from 2014 to present is a GOAT.

15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    #15 tervuren, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Jenson Button scored more points than Hamilton during the years they drove for the same team.

Hamilton made a good move leaving Mclaren, Mclaren denied him making his own personal branding. He is much better off personally and financially with his arrangement with Mercedes. The change also worked out well for him on the track. However, as a driver, he's amongst the really really good, but not one of the greats.

I would put both Alonso and Vettel as better than Hamilton.

16. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  17. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

No.
    He's been in the best car with no rival team even close for the past few years.

Until he secures a second place while his car is stuck in 5th gear, and doesn't moan about said car being stuck in 5th gear. No ;)

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

The Mercedes is -by far- the best ever car F1 has ever seen.

Since 2014, there have only been 2 races (Malaysia and Singapore 2015, both extreme temperatures) they've lost on pace (to date that's 2.5 seasons!!!). They've only lost 6 races in total, the other 4 all due to either them crashing into each other (Belgium 2014, Hungary 2015, Barcelona 2016) or plain unlucky (Hungary 2014, SC coming out when Rosberg already went passed the pit). Nothing to do with their drivers. Mercedes would've won the championships with Ericsson and Palmer as drivers, easily. Would we be singing songs of praise for them? No.

All the had to do so far is get on the front row (easy) and not take each other out. The difference in speed between the two is not so great. Rosberg only just beat an elderly Schumacher, and Rosberg for the most part is matching Hamilton in both quali and racing. Button outscored Hamilton, Hamilton matched Alonso during an extremely controversial year where Alonso was being booted out (why invest anything in your driver when you know he will NOT be part of the team any longer than necessary). Even Kovalainen on the weekends when he had no car issues got close or beat him.

Hamilton should have been completely dominating Rosberg but has failed to have done so. He should've been dominating Button, too...but hasn't done so.

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO..sorry, the question just made me laugh....

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    http://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-teams/mercedes/

How much domination of Nicole do you need? These numbers do not include Hockenheim,they are for real.

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..The other day someone from motorsport magazine was laughing and shaking his head at the fat that maldonado had won a g.p and Chris Amon had not, to exemplify how absurd the sport could be, and how anything was possible in f.1.....there are so many examples like this.....Damon Hill wasn't half the driver Jean alesi was, and yet if you look at the stats!! Hamilton couldn't kiss the shoes from Ickx or Peterson, but when you look at the stats....truth is, if we talk about it seriously, Hamilton would not be in the first 20 best drivers of all time..not even close!!

22. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    But you have realized that your statistic includes all the races and victories before joining Mercedes? Take only those of the Mercedes-years Lewis is still better but not "dominant"...

23. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I think he's one of the best F1 drivers ever. He was WC very nearly (should have been but for McLaren's incompetence) in his first ever F1 season, and with a 3 time WC as his team mate.

Senna was a great talent, as was Jim Clark and I think history will say that Hamilton was up with them (maybe Alonso too). Schumacher, Vettel and Prost (for all their records) are a tiny notch below IMO.

Moss, Fangio et al are all before my time.

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Fixed your post.

I would put Hamilton around 10th all time.

25. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Really? Hamilton even among the greatest?
    Hamster owes his success to the car. You'd have a hard time convincing him unless you stuck him in a second rate ride. Nearly anyone on the grid could win in the current MB