Is Ford's efforts to turnaround Lincoln on the right track? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is Ford's efforts to turnaround Lincoln on the right track?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Westworld, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    When I see a Lincoln all I think is "rental car".

Not for me at all. I'd rather an entry level German.

2. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.

3. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Yeah even though a particular Lincoln might offer the same size/features of a mid/large BMW, Lexus, etc for entry level price, I would prefer entry level German/Lexus.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Would you say the same thing about a Cadillac vs. German cars?

5. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    My point is that it's becoming harder to distinguish between the model names, especially with Lincoln and Infiniti. Continental and Towncar are more recognizable names then the alphanumeric stuff. I was fine with Inifinti's system of G/M/Q hierarchy together with corresponding engine displacement. Now every model is a Q; how does G37 = Q50 or was it Q40? I wish Caddy would have kept the names used on their concepts ie. Evoq > Xlr

6. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I would say that.

Cadillac is better than anything American or Asian.... but doesn't touch BMW/Audi/Porsche/Mercedes.

7. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    I disagree. Of those, only the Porsche is superior.

The 2014 CTS V Sport is more than a match for any recent BMW or Mercedes. And I am talking quality.

8. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    As far as the image they project...I would say they belong in gated communities in SE and SW Florida

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The alphanumeric doesn't bother me as much as the pure alpha that Lincoln uses...

the MXX is impossible for me to keep straight... would prefer names (Navigator, etc.) for all models... I have good friends with Lincolns and I can never get the model correct. Never.

Even alphanumeric would be much easier for me (Q45, etc.).

10. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Maybe it's a generational thing, but I think old, stuffy and airport limos when it comes to the Town Car and Continetial names. Numbers seem to designate that your luxury brand, where the mass, economy-level brands carry names.

11. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The worst alphanumeric usage by far is the Kia K900. Sounds like a mid-eighties Chevy pickup.

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    in Korea it's the K9......I kid you not! :D
    so you're drivin' a dog there bud?

there was a big discussion on Autoline Afterhours Thursday night about this very car
    I predicted success......my cohorts,not so much

13. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    That was my first thought when I first saw that commercial. They could use some help on the name. Like the Ford 500, it basically was a flop. Renamed it the Taurus and they sold better. Still not a great success though.

14. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I would also including handling for the Caddy. The V was Also a goood luxury performer.

As part of the shuffle board set I think the poster was accurate in his post.

The Lincoln and Caddy offer luxury with some modest performance. I was impressed with both. If you drive a bently you are paying five time the purchase cost with a no better car. The American luxury cars are a bargain.

I personally like supercars and sports cars, but someday I will buy one of these. I may drive a Rolls first but probably noy my type of car.

Best

Lee

PS: Okay I admit I am old but I do not even know what a shuffle board is? :)

15. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    It's in vain-as mention the naming convention, all going back to aping Mercedes, which was based on a great brand "I drive a Mercedes" all the others copying this-well your brand needs some panache first. As mentioned say Lincoln and the icon is...the town car well we all ahve fun memories of riding in the back of limos, but own one? No. Then the silly aping of a uniform grill-again that grill has to be beautiful and noteworthy and attached to some great dars to mean something-again-Mercedes, Alfa, etc.

Just trying to slap these things onto a moribund brand- or even one that is just ok (Acura) and then being more concerned that it is striking (ly ugly) rather than beautiful or elegant along with an obtuse naming system for the point of being obtuse? Well, you make nothing out of nothing, IMO.

Best case that can be made here is for "value" kind of sad for a brand that is supposed to be your luxury and prestige marque, isn't it? It is one thing when you are Hyundai and you move a brand up market with heavy content for cost, but Lincoln?

They need some "home run" great cars-they have none. There is some hope for Cadillac because they have some great product. Anyone think Lincoln has great product? They are a car company after all, how do you have success without building some great cars? It can't just be marketing and styling...that is how you manage a brand, not build one. Look at Lexus-the first LS400 was great and a game changer that built a brand.

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    IMHO it says that some people/businesses had a desire to purchas a car like a Town Car. I think if they weren't selling any they would have dropped it sooner.

17. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Ford dropped the Town Car, Crown Vic, and Grand Marquis due to the fact that they were impacting CAFE regulations, and Ford felt it would be too expensive to put in an EcoBoost 6 cyl.

Any time an engine is changed, a car has to be crash tested again to meet Fed crash test standards, and Ford was not willing to do this on such an old model.

18. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    #43 Veedub00, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just don't understand Lincoln at all. I don't. I have a 1964 Continental too. I enjoy it a lot.

I think Linclon should do what they did back in 1961. Simple, sleek, presence. The fins were the thing, and they came out with the iconic slabside suicide door car.

Why can't they do stuff like that anymore? Just do something different that knocks the poeple's socks off. Chrysler's 300 kind of did that when it came out.

Why can't Lincoln build an $80k plus car?

How about this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Wow! What is tHat? Really wicked looking
    2 x Lincoln navigator owner

20. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I know a fair number of people who have Lincolns.

Not a single one is a "car person".

Similar to Buick buyers but a bit more affluent.

21. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

I remember one of my all time icons,the late, great David E.Davis Jr., shortly before his passing, being totally bullish on Lincoln, espcieally with the Lincoln MKT.

He was positive on Ford in general, but felt that Lincoln was on the right track. Perhaps we should give the turn around at Lincoln some more time. I still remember when nobody beleived that Caddillac could reinvent itself the way it did. In the 80's and 90's I never dreamed that their cars would ever pique my interest (remember the Cimmaron ?). Now I am watching them do laps at Nurburgring and watching their wagons go head to head with Ferrari's (Top Gear USA).

I think its way too early to write them off.

Regards,

Ramin

22. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have a Lincoln MKS AWD that is loaded with every option, driven it about 40,000 miles. It's an alright car but after the initial feel of the new car thing wears out, it's just a ford with fancy name badging. I would not buy another but that is only my opinion.

23. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Interesting, I knew the Crown Vic was selling ok when it was discontinued, always wondered why, now I know. Some people like big RWD cars, a shame the option is no longer there.

24. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It's also a problem for all of us... knowing that if we see a Crown Vic, we know that he's shooting radar at us.

I think most of the buyers were Police departments.

25. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    #50 don_xvi, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Actually, it was the mandate of putting stability control on such a small number of vehicles, but close enough. FWIW, low sales mean small CAFE impact, but high per-unit cost for a big expense like ESC, mandated by FMVSS126 (which had to be on all vehicles by MY2012). And in the cost-sensitive municipal and taxi markets, that kind of money is a big deal.

Competitors in the Panther's prime demographic kept introducing newer, better products. It was like the Windows XP of the automotive industry; everyone was saying "we'll stick with what we know and already have", but my folks sure do like it now that they've finally moved to Windows 7!

** This posting contains my own thoughts and observations, and does not represent my employer. **