Is Ford's efforts to turnaround Lincoln on the right track? | FerrariChat

Is Ford's efforts to turnaround Lincoln on the right track?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Westworld, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Do you think Lincoln's new look/models/efforts are working? Are the new Lincoln models that are coming out competitive enough, and on the right track to get to a point where they can compete with Cadillac and the other top luxury brand?

2. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #2 koisokok, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Last two cars leased where Lincoln. Love them. Would I say better than Cadillac? No, but at least they are getting close to even. Granted I am not talking about the V series cars. I traded my lease on the MKX to the MKZ ..Nothing down $520 a month for 24 months. They also waved 3k overage in milage. Has all the bells and whistles on the thing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Also forgot to point out, I get into this with my friend all the time, trying to compare US cars to European cars. You get what you pay for. I lease a damn 2013 A4 for $515 a month, same as the Lincoln. And its no comparison, the Lincoln blows it away. The options and all. But my old S class or A8 where a lot better. So all I ask is compare price points in each car, and make your decision.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sitting here right now... I can't visualize any current Lincoln model other than the Town Car.

5. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    And they haven't made the Town Car since 2011...

I have 0 interest in Lincoln at this point. I don't like the styling of the grill on the current car. The rest of the car looks nice but that grill looks like it is trying way too hard. They don't have the product lineup to compete. They need to upgrade the lineup and make some exciting options for people other than blue hairs.

6. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No, they're fugly IMO. The MKZ/X/S have always looked like their front grills are made of whale baleen. The MKT is probably in the top three of ugliest cars ever made.

7. Westworld

Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    The grill seems to be a love or hate thing. I've grown to like it. Slow8, they are expanding their lineup, starting with a new small crossover this summer.

8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So far it all seems like a misguided effort. From where I live they don't sell very well. The Ford edge is far more popular for way less money. It's been a decent car when I've rented one.

They made a Town Car in 2011? WOW! Well that tells you something and it ain't good.

9. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Like the look, but ...

They could use a CTS-V competitor, a big car to match the S-Class and 7-Series (Caddy needs this, as well), and a Model S rival, so ...

10. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    They are so ugly. So ugly.

11. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    me too, I just had to go to their website to see what they have.

The brand that time forgot.

Seriously what a joke. They let Mercury go down the tubes and Lincoln just stagnate. The only good thing about Mercury was Jill Wagner. Just goes to show how over rated Mullaly's performance has been. Ford is a main course of F-150 and a side order of Mustang. There really is no American Luxury brand right now except Tesla.

Cadillac designs great cars but never builds them. No excuse for not building the Elmiraj right now in the exact same form as it was shown. http://imgick.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/pgmain/img/detroit/photo/2013/08/-35b6074357e7ff20.jpg

Chevy and Jeep are the best they ever have been, fantastic designs and products, along with Tesla. All the others need an overhaul. No excuse for it.

12. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I just don't like Lincoln's current naming convention; can't remember which MKZ/T/S/X is which. Almost as stupid as Inifinit naming every model Q. Ford needs to throw money and talent at Lincoln to get it out of near luxury purgatory. Too bad their Continental and MK-R concepts weren't okayed for production.

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Same here. They look big, heavy and ugly.

14. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    How about the 'car' part of a car?

I'm guessing the seat heaters on the Audi are far superior....? What is the range? I.e.,MPG x gas tank volume. Does the Lincoln have headlight washers? Does the washer fluid container have 7 quart capacity(as my last A4 did)? Does the Lincoln have seats comfortable for a 500 mile day? Is the visibility superior on the Lincoln? Does the Lincoln corner well, so you are faster on an entrance ramp than 95% of other cars?

These kinds of things.....?

15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    ugly ugly ugly

they look to have massively subsidized leases if your looking for a driver

16. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #16 koisokok, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    The car I have is a 2012 audi A4 primium plus. Vs 2013 lincoln Mks...Here are the two based on the options you are asking.

HEATED SEATS.> AUDI HEATED SEATS ONLY. LINCOLN HEATED AND AC SEATS.
    GAS RANGE > AUDI 16.9 GALLON ON AVERAGE OF 23/30 MPG, 92 OCTANE ONLY..LINCOLN 19 GALLON TANK 17/26 MPG , 87 OCTANE ...
    HEADLIGHT WASHERS..NONE ON BOTH. (NEVER USED THOSE ANYWAYS ON ANY OF MY OTHER CARS)
    SEATS> NO COMPARISION FOR COMPFORT. THEY REALLY DID A GOOD JOB ON THE NEW SEATS ON THE LINCOLN.
    VISABILTY> THE LINCOLN IS A BIGGER CAR SO OF COURSE THE VISABILTY WILL BE BETTER. THE REAR WINDOW IS HOW EVER A BIT SMALLER SO NOT AS GOOD AS THE AUDI.
    HANDLING. REGULARE MODE AUDI IS BETTER, SPORT MODE THE LINCOLN SPRINGS INTO ACTION.
    This is just my thought on having two cars and paying the same car payment. I think its better to let the big boys explain it better regarding the handling of the car. In sport mode the Lincoln comes to life.

Also two big factors for me is the free maintenance with Lincoln vs. Audi where you have to pay. Putting in 87 gas in a v6 vs. 92 for a 4 cylinder car.

Lincoln MKS (2013)

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Your post tells me they are missing the mark then on styling. Even looking at the link you posted, they don't "look" as stately as your run of the mill Audi/Mercedes/BMW.

Kudos to Ford upgrading everything else, but it appears in doing so they made another infiniti/acura style offering of more for less but with a stigma of less 'curb appeal'.

Their problem is if someone didn't care for the look, they are now directly competing with acura/infiniti/lexus/etc which will further chip at sales.

Fortunately, they only now need to focus on better styling and better brand-awareness that the fundamentals are there (in contrast to say, the old LS effort).

For the record, I actually liked the old LS. It had just enough of a chiseled stone look to echo Lincolns of the past without being retro.

18. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Until Lincoln offers another rear drive sedan like the LS, they are going to suffer. Luxury is RWD IMHO. AWD optional. Caddy is getting back into it, and Lincoln could. Ford has the engines and money. Just need a solid platform and stop rebadging every Ford model there is.

19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would take the Audi. I don't think the MKS is bad, but it looks like many of the Japanese mid-size sedans -- nice, but I can't tell them apart. Unfortunately, air conditioned seats and a larger fuel tank aren't the kind of things that re-establish a brand in the luxury segment. I suspect that Lincoln has gone for so many decades without a noteworthy car that the brand itself isn't all that meaningful to guys under 90 (even if the cars are improved).

20. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #20 koisokok, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good point, for me the styling doesnt bother me as the perks inside make up for it. Believe me, they can do better..As cadillac has done. Here are a couple of pictures to compare size and style of the two. I am not trying to make this a Lincoln, Audi duel. I loved my A8 and A6 4.2 But for me its what I get for my money that I am comparing.

21. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Its more than that...
    Entertaiment package with THX surround sound, full glass dual sunroofs, heated steering wheel(which i never use) , Moving HID lights, much larger more comfortable interior, 87 vs 92 octane,V6 to a V4, change the interior lighting, Onstar, keyless start, I mean the list is endless. Besides the the massaging seats that comes on my Cl-63 it has everything and then sum. And No, I love my CL63 hands down..:) For the lease I pay, what other car can I get that has all this? Not much.

22. Westworld

Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    How is Lincoln and Infiniti's naming convention any different from the other luxury brands?

23. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I like the car and in my mind it is not bad looking. The one I frove felt like a luxury car. They also make a high performance version that the dealer did not have.

The last caddy I drove was a CTSV and it was quite a car. I have not driven the new caddy just out.

My take away was when I get a little older I was going to buy thr high HP Bently, now I am not sure. I think it willl be one of those American luxury models. Much less expensive and felt just as good. They both had massive features.

Best

Lee

24. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Ford's little idol Mark Fields wanted a revamp of the Lincoln line after the destruction of the Mercury line. He asked that grill treatment be maintained thru the product line as per BMW style ( look at the trucks, SUV, Ford, Lincoln grilles)

Not bad idea if you have an appealing one, Lincoln is a spin on the 1937-40`s. The name was dropped because he ( mark fields) thought the name was spoiled by the 80`s Mercury car. So he mandated the Lincoln Zephyr become MK Z and the whole line became the alphabet and model recognition was lost to all but the Marketing and Sales guys.

I can definitely say that the Lincoln counterpart of the Ford model may share some part of the platform, the quality of the ride and comfort are absolutely not comparable and also on the plus side they do not share instrumentation like the Cadillac vehicles do!

25. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Turnaround ? Isn't their entire line comprised of 2014 re-iterations of the Versailles ?

Ford has done well to sit on the fence, trinket up existing platforms at minimal cost and focus on inhabitants of Del Boca Vista.

With retirement Boomer numbers rising hourly and manufacturers universally concentrating on a younger market, there's a solid chance Ford may be on the cutting edge of the shuffleboard share. ;).