Is Ferrari still Italian? | FerrariChat

Is Ferrari still Italian?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Modificata, Jul 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
  2. NunoRosso

NunoRosso Karting

Dec 10, 2007
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I think Ferrari can still be considered an Italian company. Exor and Piero Ferrari have 50% +1 of the voting rights.

While Exor is registered in the Netherlands, its ultimate controlling party is Giovanni Agnelli B.V., the Agnelli's investment holding.

3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    in this age of globalism it is as close to being Italian as any other publicly traded company is for their respective country and the head quarters is in Italy.... would be interesting to see the origin of the parts . I am sure it has its fair share of
    US parts and China parts and many other countries ... just like every other car..

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Is the Pope Catholic?

ewright likes this.
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why did the Corona Virus break out in Milan first?

Because 80,000 Chinese workers travel to work in the fashion industry in the Milan area to sew bags and clothes but still have it "made in Italy"

Is Gucci Italian? I don't think it matters who sews it as long as the people in charge of design, construction, materials, and quality are Italian.

anunakki and paulchua like this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Some of us have questions...;)

Thomas Magnum and paulchua like this.
  8. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Maranello is not Milan. Different politics different workers.
    Maranello will never be Milan

9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I think you miss his point.

anunakki likes this.
  10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Article was *meh* at best. "Top Cars" of each era reads like some old guy put it together. 575 Superamerica as top car? Says nobody.

With global suppliers is ANY car not a global car? Lamborghini's have quite a few Audi parts.

ewright likes this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I''m gonna say the only part that matters is the engine. Whoever supplies the engine is where the car comes from. Change my mind.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    With no personal attack intended: this seems like an article that offers an answer to a question no one was asking. Delete all the stock photos, and you're mostly left with a Wiki history intro, an ownership chart, and a conclusion that seems to confuse the author (yet probably makes sense to most people.)

13. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You're right, Pagani, Lamborghini, Bugatti, all German :D

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think the article is a good overview and thank you for taking the time to put it together. We can quibble about the car pics but I appreciated your breaking the cars from the 1947-69 era into road and race.

I think Ferrari is still Italian. But the world is always changing, so is Italia, in its own way. So does Ferrari. But you can see or drive any of their cars and still know it is Italian.

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think the rolling chassis and the serial no/vin on the firewall is what defines the car. The engine is what powers it so "powered by Ferrari," "powered by Ford," etc. You put a LS7 in an F50 it's a Ferrari F50 powered by a Chevy. You put the F50 V12 in a Z06 it's a Ferrari powered Corvette. Same in F1 racing. Williams is powered by Mercedes. It's not a Mercedes...the manufacturer is defined by the chassis.

16. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    They decide who can buy their best products based on completely arbitrary decisions, with no reason given to those who are denied, and yet people still love them. If that isn't Italian I don't know what is. And I love it.

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Well, the last time I was at the Factory it was in Italy, and most - almost everyone there was Italian - definitely spoke Italian and about 10 other languages. all the staff speak Italian, and the leadership is Italian... so yes, Ferrari is still Italian. The money however resides elsewhere, like most large companies. the Angelli family are pretty crafty so JElkan is maximizing that US education ... which also means the business is flagged elsewhere. but the cars are most certainly assembled in Italy.... but clearly not all parts are made in Italy ...