Is buying a new Rolex like buying a new Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Is buying a new Rolex like buying a new Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by puckybadger, Sep 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The US market is no longer the top market for Rolex sport watches so dealers here are getting very little allocation.

3. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    It seems that is not just a US issue. ADs across the globe seem to be scarce on Rolex watches, especially SS sports of course

4. pyth

pyth Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I don’t think they are scarce. Just a sales game. Why sell a submariner for $9,150 when a dealer can sell a two tone datejust and the same submariner for a combined $22,400? Both at retail and the dealer may even squeeze another piece in there before giving a buyer access to the hot models.

It does vary from dealer to dealer since they are independent and not owned by Rolex. Some may have stricter policy on when to sell steel models. Maybe you walk in and speak to their most senior salesperson who is able to sell those pieces at their discretion and they get a good feeling about you. Maybe not. Luck of the draw

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Red 27 likes this.
  5. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    My cousin is an AD in CT and even he can't get me what I want *laugh* when it comes to certain models. I haven't discussed this thoroughly with him but I believe the ADs get a quota, similar to auto dealers and higher volume ones may get specific models. They have to prove they can sell basic Date-Justs and the like. They are also committed to buy inventory of all sorts (which again could just "sit" at certain stores). It's been said that Rolex doesn't like the grey market and flippers and I think some of the strategy is to try to ensure watches are sold to end-users even though that is a fruitless endeavor. As example warranty cards are not supposed to be left blank. Also I believe ADs are not allowed to deviate from MSRP by any more than a nominal and internally-specified amount (I forget which direction up/down is allowed). Their profits are thus "controlled."