Is a Dino considered a Ferrari ? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Is a Dino considered a Ferrari ?

Discussion in '206/246' started by zvdxb, Jun 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Does it really matter? It's a beautiful car no matter what you call it.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    How about the FIAT Dino 2400.....the same basic engine as the 246 and built in Maranello, not Turin.

3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    YES, It is a real ferrari .....
    re..appreciation went from 60k to 100 k to 150k to 200K to 325K and up so I would yes it will appreciate as evidenced but the last 20 years .. when I bought my dino a few years ago they were selling for about 1/2 of the price of a daytona and they are pretty much still 1/2 the price of daytonas..
    and they sure look great ......and are a blast to drive so I am keeping mine ..

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Jim,

My avatar is a photo of what I found under a verrry thick layer of Bondo.

Basically the nose was all like that, a regular sculpture in mud.
    That, is how we like them...

Welded by someone that was taught how to weld on my car, and Dino was a disposable "bumper car" :)

Regards, Alberto

PS. I have a NOS fender, including the headlight opening, and it is made by about 10 pieces, just patchwork.
    That is how we have remade them.

5. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    And by all accounts more fun to drive than Daytonas, which drive like trucks below 80mph. The Daytona was a high-speed touring car, the Dino a sportscar.

6. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Interesting topic.

Speaking from an owner of a Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider perspective.

The Fiat the spider 2.4 is a DINO that was branded and sponsored by FIAT and assembled by Ferrari yet supported by Fiat.

The 246 was a branded and engineered by Ferrari, constructed by Ferrari and supported by Ferrari.

So!

The Dino 246 is a Ferrari
    The Fiat Dino spider 2.4 is a Fiat

DINO was "Brand" experiment between FIAT & Ferrari to attract new customers.

The only difference was that, Fiat was willing to put its name on the car alongside the name DINO.

While Ferrari was reluctant in doing so, fearing the possibly discrediting the already well-established racing Ferrari brand.

The 246 was never Branded as a Ferrari 246 powered by Dino motor!

The 246 is a Dino built and sponsored by (Ferrari)

And Yes, it's a Ferrari.

Voila.

7. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Eloquently stated. Thank you. Fred

8. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    what I am amazed by is how much the Fiat Dinos have shot up in $$ over the last couple of yrs. I remember seeing 2 or maybe it was 3 for sale in a barn find probably 3 yrs ago for next to nothing $$ wise. I don't know where the hell I'd put all that but if you could squeeze a car out of it you'd have boxes of spares and a couple of 2.4 Dino engines right now

9. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jeez, starting in 1977 I managed to finagle drives in several Daytonas, and I didn't find them that hard to drive at all - the clutches could be stiff at times, but that appeared to be a unit-to-unit variability problem, and even parking (or should I say, "especially parking") didn't seem that tough either. They were certainly pretty sweet (and surprisingly docile) when rolling above 15 mph.

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #85 tx246, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    Not to seem cocky, but how many Ferrari's today seem to be like a Dino?

Instead of "Tiny, Brilliant, Safe....Almost a Ferrari" where some would argue that those words mean is isn't a Ferrari, or exactly like it.......

We have "Unlike a Ferrari....It's Tiny, Brilliant and Safe"

Kinda neat idea, huh?

Sign me up.

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #86 4CamGT, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  12. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
  13. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    My younger son walked over to a red Cali in the cvs parking lot earlier. Years ago, some of us thought this car was going to be the new Dino. Well it wasn't. The 488 is amazing but its (amazing) twin scroll engine couldn't be further away from its gated 4 carb 308 ancestor which was.....a Dino-until hey stuck horses on the cars that didn't sell!

Dec 5th, 1967....and it's just sitting here since 1975. It ain't gonna happen but I know of at least one they'd sell today.

14. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Cool Thread. Analytical AND philosophical at the same time.

Observations:
    1. I've seen early Dino-Fiat con rods which have a Maranello QC stamp.
    2. I bought euro 308 cams from a Ferrari concessionaire which had a cool tag attached with a hand twisted wire which read, "FIAT-Rivolta".
    3. The 512BBi which is well known for its hand crafted body in the Ferrari Maranello plant has a starter with its very prominent "FIAT" casting marking.
    4. Early Dino-Fiat Spyders had real 42 knock off wheels and aluminum blocks like Daytonas, Boxers, 206 etc. and aren't these techno features more "Ferrari-ish, than Fiat?

I think (Maybe over-simplifying) that seeing a Dino many years ago for $16k isn't that much of a shocker given it wasn't a "Vintage" car being only ~10 years old, AND a whike ago, 16K was a lot of money for a ~10 year old car. I think Porsche had brand new cars for less money. The strong value is because they are soooo beautiful, and rare. They are truly art objects. The connection with Ferrari is strong, but not the only factor in determining the market. The Mondial is a great car, so are 308 GT4/S/B. They all have a strong Ferrari connection, but selling price imho does not increase that connection. Again- gorgeous and rare.

15. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    I see there's a 206P coming up for auction next month, and it prompted a question that I should have thought of years ago when the "is a Dino a Ferrari" began.
    When they were racing the 206 in period, was it entered as a Dino only, or was it ever entered as a Ferrari?

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  17. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #92 GermanDino, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    in the current Ferrari Magazine no.30
    it`s a non - Ferrari Ferrari
    answers most of the questions and hopefully ends the discussions....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    So it's official! Dino...it's the only non-Ferrari Ferrari! A good title for a Dino book!

Freeman

19. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #94 abstamaria, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They have the equivalent of our “why doesn’t the Dino carry a Ferrari badge” in the Lotus world. The issues are are similar in that they involve a single man controlling a car company deeply dedicated to motor sport, a tragic death, a badge, and a reason carried to the grave. The Manila Sports Car Club created the following photo and posed the Lotus conundrum-

"For about a year from late 1968, Lotus cars appeared from the factory wearing a black badge, instead of the traditional yellow and green. The reason was never explained, as the founder Colin Chapman carried it to his grave in 1982. Chapman was of course the spirit behind Lotus, but much of Lotus’s reputation and success was also due to World Champion Jim Clark. The chemistry and friendship between the designer Chapman and his race driver Clark –geniuses that fit together - was palpable, and together they were unbeatable. But Jim Clark met an untimely death in a crash at Hockenheim. The date? April 7, 1968."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Jakuzzi and schwoo like this.
  21. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    UroTrash likes this.
  22. darthdino

darthdino Rookie

Oct 5, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Darth
    To me, it seems rather simple. The manufacturer's nameplate/VIN tag located in the engine compartment clearly says Ferrari, not Dino. The official title to the car clearly states Ferrari as the make. The titles or certificates of ownership are created from a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO). If Ferrari had wanted Dino to be the Brand of Record, the MSO would have indicated Dino as the manufacturer. In my mind, those facts would indicate the legally and figuratively it must be considered a Ferrari, no different than a Corvette is a model manufactured by Chevrolet. If it were otherwise, our cars would be titled as Fiats or Dinos.

Speaking as a Dino owner for over 40 years it has been interesting to see the changes in perception which have occurred. In the beginning, the car was shunned and likened to a donkey trying to claim a family connection to a horse. Somewhere along the way, like many other things in society, as the value escalated and the styling became recognized as iconic, some of the naysayers flipped sides. Today the car is well sought after and as market prices continue to trend upward more converts emerge.
    Had the car been blazingly fast, none of this would have occurred. It would have been a much more appealing car, but because it was merely a slow, albeit pretty car with an interesting engine layout, it took 20 years for it to become an overnight success.

GIOTTO likes this.
  23. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    One thing that worked in the Dino's favor is it is a very, very good-looking Donkey ;)

24. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    With all the misinformation and revisionist history I think you are ok ;) But it is not a Ferrari :)

25. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

Andres,
    I have a similar sign hanging in my garage between my 458 Spider and Dino. Not once in the forty years the sign has been present have I received a ticket! I think that you're safe from prosecution. My Dino is spending the winter at Algar Ferrari, the dealer that sold it new in 1973. It was sold by a Ferrari dealer, it is being serviced by a Ferrari dealer, and the New York State DMV acknowledges it as a Ferrari. Unless there is actually a Ferrari Police unit dedicated to outing Dinos as impostors, I will always consider my Dino to be a Ferrari in everything but name. However, as it is named after Dino Ferrari, the name assignment is, to me, a distinction without a difference. Fred