Ironic that George Lucas spurned by two cities in starting his museum | FerrariChat

Ironic that George Lucas spurned by two cities in starting his museum

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by bitzman, Jul 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I think this shows the inherent snobism in the fine arts world that two cities would turn down this billion dollar plus museum just because his taste in art is rooted in Americana like Thomas Hart Benton. I guess they're also worried there will be too much Star Trek trivia. Still, he's a billionaire and collected all this...why not share it with the public? Los Angeles finally said "Yes"

George Lucas Can't Give His $1.5 Billion Museum Away - Bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/.../george-lucas-can-t-give-his-1-5-billion-museum-away

Jan 3, 2017 - “I've been ready to retire for a few years,” George Lucas said. ... a second trilogy, known as “the prequels,” which were scorned for lacking charm and thrills. “I'll be kind of ... Rendering of the Lucas museum in San Francisco.

anunakki likes this.
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #2 F1tommy, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    It was well received in Chicago. A small group, "Friends of the Parks" found a loop hole to block it from being built next to Northerly Island in downtown Chicago. I liked the lower profile building they designed for Chicago better than the one in LA. Blocking views and building on lakefront parkland stopped it from being built, not "snobism".

I do believe the same issue has caused big cities to not be built right on the coastal shoreline in California. That is why DTLA is landlocked on a tarpit and rather small for a large city.